Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

As a Gold do you "ask" for a specific type of room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

I have been SPG Gold for a few years. I have always got really nice "enhanced" rooms in the past, and never really asked for anything, I was always recognized and told I was getting a corner room, jr suite, high floor, whatever. Even got club access not too long ago. I must have been lucky, and my luck seems to have run out.
Recently my last couple stays ( after the first of this year, now that I think about it) no mention of being a gold and really standard rooms. This trip, the room I got overlooked a highway, an overflowing dumpster and closed restaurant roof top. As I was walking out, I noticed the room across the hall had a balcony overlooked the courtyard with the pool, palm trees, cabanas and waterfalls...in fact the whole other side of the hotel had all that, so at least half the rooms.
I went downstairs and asked if I could please move across the hall and was seemingly easily accommodated (and checked that i was still listed as Gold). It got me wondering why didn't they just give a gold member the room with a nice view in the first place? There isn't really a shortage I could see, half the hotel has balconies and over looks the pool, half doesn't and overlooks the road and parking lot? Is that not enhanced?
I realize all hotels are different, but is there something you might mention at checkout to try and get a little nicer room? Not looking for a suite upgrade, but least one that doesn't overlook a dumpster?

Last edited by barnburner; Mar 20, 2013 at 5:45 pm
Old Mar 20, 2013, 8:10 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
What category of the room you booked?
Depending on the hotels, especially resort hotels, pool/waterfall view could be a Deluxe room vs highway view could be a classic or standard room.
Gold member is entitled the same category, but higher floor/corner/better view within the same category.
If both side of rooms are in the same category, you should ask for better view.

Sometimes, some hotels give gold members a higher category room, but may not happen all the time.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I think OP has been lucky in the past. Some hotels may give better rooms for SPG Gold, but it is not a given. The only thing I typically get is a room on the SPG floor and a Gold amenity (points or free internet). I have also received a 4pm late check-out when I requsted one. Only once did I get a Jr. Suite upgrade without my asking, but that was at an international property and an exception than the rule.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:31 am

Never hurts to ask.

Cheers,
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:37 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
My success on gold upgrades to better rooms varies greatly depending on the time of week.

During busy periods (tues-thurs) I have not been so lucky for the city hotels.

On weekends and Monday and Fridays, I have been more than lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.