Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood changes marketing strategy for Le Meridien

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond

http://http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Hotel-News/Starwood-changes-marketing-strategy-for-Le-Meridien/?cid=eltrdb

Article includes news of a few more properties coming.....Glad to see another option coming to Ho Chi Minh City.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
This seems like bad news. I love LM, but hate Westin.

Le Meridien properties have consistently been upscale, contemporary, and art-focused. I imagine LM is where people go when they 'outgrow' W Hotels. The Le Meridien Minneapolis is a perfect example of this: a rehabbed building in the downtown core that has exquisite high end furnishings, a gourmet restaurant on site, and an on site contemporary art gallery. Pieces from that gallery's collection are sprinkled about the hotel in rooms and common spaces. There is even an in-room art performance art channel.

Westins, IMHO, are bland, boring boxes that obnoxiously spray that heinous white tea perfume on everything. Westins in the US seem to lean toward convention hotels (with notable exceptions, of course like the Kierland or Verasa Napa Residences). Not seeing the connection with art-focused boutique hotels.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Lifetime Plat (now Marriott Lifetime Titanium), Avis President's Club
Of my many gripes about LM Minneapolis (and I type this from the hotel in question) one of my biggest has to be the lack of HD. How can you call this upscale and contemporary without High-Def TV. What is it, 1996?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I love all 3 brands, but hope LM keeps its less cookie-cutter, more sophisticated and artsy feel. It also feels more international than Westin which tend to be more corporate or suburban.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:13 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I've always found the Le Meridien brand very confused. They do try to localise themselves more than the mediocre Westin brand, but an awful lot of the hotels just doesn't look very good in my book...
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:36 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Most *wood brands in the US are confused, and there are great variations within the same brand.

LM in Asia and Europe are more luxurious than Westins. Take the LM El Vandrelle, LM BKK.

Westins are corporate, and hardly luxurious.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 5:14 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Most *wood brands in the US are confused, and there are great variations within the same brand.

LM in Asia and Europe are more luxurious than Westins. Take the LM El Vandrelle, LM BKK.

Westins are corporate, and hardly luxurious.
And what's about the Westins in Firenze, Roma and Venezia? Aren't they luxurious? LM Rimini is even hardly corporate...
Old Mar 14, 2013, 5:24 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
BTW: I am missing the two LMs in Torino, the LM Juan les Pins and the LM Excelsior Gallia Milano.

The second LM in Hamburg was no lost...
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
And what's about the Westins in Firenze, Roma and Venezia? Aren't they luxurious? LM Rimini is even hardly corporate...
OPs meant "regular" Westin prototype hotels -- standard glass boxes. Your examples are old grand-dames reflagged as Westins. But I agree, a move from Westins Rome & Venice to LM Nice was a bit discouraging.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by m0hamed
LM in Asia and Europe are more luxurious than Westins. Take the LM El Vandrelle, LM.
Actually my experience is the very opposite; LM is only almost equivalent to Sheratons, while Westins are a notch higher, in Asia at least eg LM Chiang Mai, LM Chiang Rai, LM Kuala Lumpur, LM Angkor, LM Phuket, LM Kota Kinabalu, LM Jakarta

You should to form an opinion from a larger pool, not isolated cases of nice LM

Last edited by mario33; Mar 14, 2013 at 8:58 am
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by mario33
Actually my experience is the very opposite; LM is only almost equivalent to Sheratons, while Westins are a notch higher, in Asia at least eg LM Chiang Mai, LM Chiang Rai, LM Kuala Lumpur, LM Angkor, LM Phuket, LM Kota Kinabalu, LM Jakarta

You should to form an opinion from a larger pool, not isolated cases of nice LM
Mario,

Which Westins do you then refer to?

LM BKK vs Westin BKK
LM Khao Lak vs Westin Siray Bay

Last edited by remymartin; Mar 14, 2013 at 9:24 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by remymartin
Which Westins do you then refer to?
Westin Phuket is one resort I wouldn't bother to stay at, as I have stated even before it opened its on the wrong side of the island !

Nice Westins ? practically all of them, even the Westin BKK is passable though its quite near the bottom of the list along with Paris.

Really good ones Westin Sydney, Westin Langkawi, Westin Kuala Lumpur, Westin Tokyo, Italian Westins (Rome, Florence, Venice) ....
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Another Asian example is LRM in Shanghai. It's a huge hotel, with crowds in the lobby. Changing elevator banks to get to the lounge can be frustrating. The arts connection is free admission to a nearby minor museum, but I don't recall art in the hotel itself.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Another Asian example is LRM in Shanghai.
Its a ROYAL Meridien, sort of Luxury Collection. It's just like using a LC branded 'Sheraton' as an example of a Sheraton
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:50 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I love all 3 brands, but hope LM keeps its less cookie-cutter, more sophisticated and artsy feel. It also feels more international than Westin which tend to be more corporate or suburban.
Ditto. I really like the Le Meridien brand in general. It feels more refined, old wordly, artsy and European compared to Westins (which I also like!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.