Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best backup chain?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Best backup chain?

In Europe I tend to use Club Carlson as my backup to SPG. With all the recent SPG losses in Germany CC works especially well there for me. I also find that their pricing is more reasonable in Germany than SPG if they have competing properties.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Agreed.

With or without status match- in some cities within Central Europe the best (possibly only) choice will be Best Western.
Yikes. The quality of Best Western swings wildly between awful to so-so, IMHO.

My reco for the OP would be Marriott first on a Gold Challenge followed by Hilton on a Gold Challenge. Hilton is in 3rd place due to their terrible customer service in Carrolton, TX.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Yikes. The quality of Best Western swings wildly between awful to so-so, IMHO.

My reco for the OP would be Marriott first on a Gold Challenge followed by Hilton on a Gold Challenge. Hilton is in 3rd place due to their terrible customer service in Carrolton, TX.
There are many cities in Central Europe that don't have a Marriott, Hilton, or SPG hotel at all. If you need to be there- you need to take what you can get.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Agreed, and thanks. I have decided to get the Club Carlson cc which will give me gold status and status match Best western. This should cover me as best as poss. Although the cc has a $95 fee, with bonuses I'll end up with 2 free nights in any of their properties, so that seems like a good deal.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Hello all,

Very loyal SPG member here. In Q3 I'm going to be traveling around Eastern Europe for 3 months. Except for Poland, Starwood doesn't have much a footprint in those countries. As such, I'm thinking ill get a status match (or fast track) with another chain. However I'm quite unfamiliar with the others.

Does anyone know if Hilton, Marriott, IHG, Carlson, BW or Hyatt have a large footprint in Easten Europe? And if so, does that chain have similar rates to Starwood? And then assuming multiple chains do - which would be the best chain to choose as my backup?

I love the Platinum benefits especially, upgrades, late check out, free breakfast and free Internet. I like lounge access and free drinks, but its secondary to the other benefits for me. I'd prefer to have a backup that offered similar benefits but was also a similar price (e.g., if four seasons offered this it would be nice, but I can't afford 3x the price).

Thanks for the help!
I would get the hilton credit card that gets you gold status (free internet and breakfast). No need to deal with status matches. A status match to the equivalent to SPG platinum would be onerous (and in some respects there is no equivalent).
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Hello all,

Just an update on my experience as a Accor Platinum member (using as one of my backup chains where Starwood has no footprint).

First, I stayed in Starwood in Warsaw and Krakow and was treated wonderfully, with suite upgrades in both locations. So I rode into my next non-Starwood hotel expecting the worst. Plus I received Accor Platinum for free (via some upgrade link, perhaps on FT). So I really was expecting the worst.

I showed up at the Sofitel in Wroclaw and actually felt welcomed. They mentioned my status and offered the following as an Accor Platinum member:
1- Upgraded room on the top floor with a view.
2- Fruit plate as a welcome gift.
3- Free water
4- International newspaper delivered (at my request - is not offered as a standard benefit to guests).
5- Concierge welcome call 10 minutes after I entered room to see if I needed anything (which I did, I wanted to have some laundry picked up).

Of course what I missed most:
1- No suite
2- No free breakfast

Wifi is free for all - so no difference here.

While I'm not about to switch primary chains, I was pleasantly surprised to receive anything at all since I really didn't do anything to earn Platinum. I thought the room upgrade and fruit plate were a nice touch. And while she was surprised at the request, the front desk lady agreeing to provide me with the paper was also appreciated. I'd say Accor did as good a job as possible to cement my loyalty gong forward and that's saying something since I usually just book secondary hotels without much consideration.

It also makes me remember to be a bit nicer when I show up to my next Starwood stay in a few days and not be such a curmudgeon if everything doesn't go my way. The amount of benefits we receive as SPG Plats are pretty stellar in comparison.

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Jul 28, 2013 at 1:00 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Accor has a rather large footprint, and I think you were lucky in hitting a Sofitel instead of any other property. I have been extremely underwhelmed with properties using other brands, unfortunately.

And yes, I agree, in comparison SPG Plat is stellar!
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remymartin
Accor has a rather large footprint, and I think you were lucky in hitting a Sofitel instead of any other property. I have been extremely underwhelmed with properties using other brands, unfortunately.

And yes, I agree, in comparison SPG Plat is stellar!
Agreed. I have no intention of staying in any of their lower tier properties (based on everyone's comments). Solely Sofitel although I'd possibly consider MGallery and Pullman on a case by case basis.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Agreed. I have no intention of staying in any of their lower tier properties (based on everyone's comments). Solely Sofitel although I'd possibly consider MGallery and Pullman on a case by case basis.
Pullman has done absolutely nothing for me- completely underwhelming in my experiences. Crowne Plaza is much better for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.