Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Points Strategies?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Starwood Points Strategies?

I'm a frustrated Hilton customer. I have the HHonors Reserve Visa and was going to spend my way to Diamond this year. Now, I'm wondering if that is worthwhile because (a) Delta announced that I get late Starwood check out and free internet simply because I'm Delta Platinum and (b) Hilton just slashed the value of their points. So what does Starwood have to offer someone like me who will spend maybe only 20 to 30 nights a year in the hotel but has $40K to $50K available each year to put on a credit card (which is the excess spend I have available each year to move around after satisfying the max MQM bonuses on my Delta Reserve card)?

Should I look into a Starwood credit card or deploy those credit card dollars elsewhere?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Royal Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat,Accor Plat, US Chairmans
deploy those credit dollars elsewhere... SPG points are valuable but I think meeting spend/bonus requirements on different CCs may be better (ex. I am a US Airways guy and i'm pounding my US Air card to get the 10k EQM after 25k spend). Dont get me wrong, you should apply and get a SPG card if you think you'll spend a minimum of 20-25 stays as the CC gets you a 2 stay credit and 5 night credit (need 25 stays or 50 nights to become SPG plat; you can double it with a biz version of the card for 4 stay/10night credits without stepping foot in the hotel). These credits come for just having the card and not placing any spend on them so no use putting spend on it unless you want a few extra SPG points. However, you can obtain gold once you place 30k on it (honestly SPG Preferred Plus secondary to AAA/being SPG cardholder is the same minus the extra pt/$)
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:43 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I switched to SPG from Marriott in 2012. I wasn't feeling the love with Marriott, but I only stay 12-15 nights per year. So far, it's been pretty good with SPG.

Most of my points earn comes from the SPG Amex Card (Canada) at about $35,000 per year so putting all spend through this card has been my greatest strategy. The Canadian Card doesn't really reward the frequent traveller - gold at $30,000 spend and an weekend overnight reward at $40,000 aren't great incentives for road warriors.

I've been able to use Cash and Points in the basic Sheraton in the Maldives, and have another Cash and Points reward booked for the St Regis coming up in November.

So far, it's been a great move. Let's hope it says that way.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:00 pm

priceline. priceline. priceline.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
What about those of us who can't use a CC?

My company specifies which CC I must use thus that is out as an option for me.

In this case, as a frustrated Hilton and Marriott member, which program is going to be better for some one who racks up 50-100 nights a year and cannot take advantage of affinity credit cards? This round of devaluation from all the chains has me looking for a new home. I have tended to vacation overseas in top tier resorts but that may have to change now as I cant seem to get enough points for 7 to 14 nights vacation. Thoughts??
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
I'm a frustrated Hilton customer. I have the HHonors Reserve Visa and was going to spend my way to Diamond this year. Now, I'm wondering if that is worthwhile because (a) Delta announced that I get late Starwood check out and free internet simply because I'm Delta Platinum and (b) Hilton just slashed the value of their points. So what does Starwood have to offer someone like me who will spend maybe only 20 to 30 nights a year in the hotel but has $40K to $50K available each year to put on a credit card (which is the excess spend I have available each year to move around after satisfying the max MQM bonuses on my Delta Reserve card)?

Should I look into a Starwood credit card or deploy those credit card dollars elsewhere?
I'm still a big fan of the SPG Amex.

I think Starwood lags the Hilton and Marriott in terms of value of points earned from stays (or at least, it did up until a few weeks ago), but it's the best for value of credit card spend.

I use New Orleans as my benchmark for comparison, both because it's my most common destination, and because it's reasonably representative of a typical American city, hotel-wise.

$50K of un-categorized spend can earn you 150K HH, 50K MR, or 50K SPG. Post-2013-changes, here's what that means for a high end and a mid-range New Orleans stay.
  • HH, that will get you 2.5 nights at the Hilton Riverside peak, 3.75 off-peak; or 3.75 ost months at the Embassy Suites.
  • MR, that will get you 1.5 nights at the JW, or 2 nights at the Residence Inn.
  • SPG, that will get you 5 nights at the W New Orleans (plus an extra 5th night free, 6 nights total), or 7 nights at the Four Points French Quarter (+1 free).

Of course, you should evaluate where you might want to redeem, and look at those rates. If you want to save up for an "aspirational" over-water bungalow in the South Pacific, your math may be different.

The other big benefit to SPG points is that they transfer to airline miles at a very favorable rate, so if you do find Priceline is meeting your needs for hotels, you can always exchange for miles and book that premium cabin overseas flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.