Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Official 2013 Category Changes - effective 5 March 2013

Official 2013 Category Changes - effective 5 March 2013

Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by lkar
The category 5 and 6s are interesting. 12 went up, 22 went down.

To me, what's mostly going on here is a fairly massive shift from 2s to 3s and 3s to 4s, instead of the higher aspirational properties. It seems like SPG has rooted out the bargain category 2s and made them more commensurate with the typical rate at these hotels to get redemptions back around or under 2 cents per point. I guess that's not surprising. I don't know how significant that will be to many flyertalkers, who tend to accumulate for the category 5s, 6s and 7s.

Barcelona Diagonal at category 2 was kind of silly, I have to say, so I'm really not surprised they're on to some of my hidden gems. There are a few left that I'm surprised didn't go up, so I guess I can live with it. I'd be a lot more angry today if Hilton and Marriott hadn't just gutted their programs.
Good points!^ Agree on BCN. And also 4P Niagara NY: consistently $190 a weekend summer night (gone hidden gem for Cat 2) Another good one is Westin Jalisco.
Many will be upset with Moana Surfrider going to 6 and Danieli to 7. Interestingly Athens hotels go to 5 from 6, Greek islands from 6 to 7. The rest is more technical changes, so my predictions luckily went wrong (although will be more additions -- usually up in the next 2 weeks)
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Vinodavid
I tend to use my points on vacations so I immediately scroll to the places that I like to take my family.

The 4 properties in Hawaii just priced themselves out of my world and it is sad to see 2 Greece properties and Hotel Danielli go to 7's.

Not earth-shattering though in my opinion.
The two iconic hotels in Athens went down a category.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:04 am

With Danieli going up to 7 and Hilton Molino Stuckey going to category 8 with seasonal increases, what's left in Venice if you have points and don't want to break the bank?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: A bunch
They were genius to release this the day after hilton slaughtered their chart. This looks like the best award adjustment of alltime compared to hilton!!

Glad i got my st regis princeville stay a few months ago for 80k for the week. Too bad that went to level 7
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Interesting that the Parker Meridien Palm Springs is going up. Must either expect that the relationship is going to continue, or they got good and fooled by the alledged chicanery
Due to the lawsuit, it could be difficult for Starwood to downgrade them now.

Also, I presume that most of the category changes are determined somewhat in advance of the announcement, based on data available early enough to allow analysis and approvals at various levels.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I'm confused by Greece! I can understand the two Athens properties decreasing (I think the Grand Bretagne has gone up and down more than any other hotel I've watched over the years) but I don't understand the two island properties going up. I wonder if tourism hasn't been as impacted on the islands as it has in the city.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite
With Danieli going up to 7 and Hilton Molino Stuckey going to category 8 with seasonal increases, what's left in Venice if you have points and don't want to break the bank?
The Westin is a lovely hotel and has always upgraded us when we booked on points.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by christianj
I'm confused by Greece! I can understand the two Athens properties decreasing (I think the Grand Bretagne has gone up and down more than any other hotel I've watched over the years) but I don't understand the two island properties going up. I wonder if tourism hasn't been as impacted on the islands as it has in the city.
Remember that category changes are based on anticipated rates/revenue during the coming year, with the predictions presumably being based on date from the year that has just ended plus other factors. If the worldwide economy is doing better but Greece is still in trouble, I wouldn't be surprised if more people want to visit luxury resorts on Greek islands but (especially high-end business, such as investment bankers) travel to Athens is down. The Athens hotels might have been giving a lot of discounted government rates to representatives trying to help with the debt crisis.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
without a doubt this is way better than all the other chains....some properties i was thinking of staying at are moving up a category so i better book now & hope my plans don't change....
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Not very many of the hotels I stay at frequently increased. Very happy that the Arion dropped down a category, and somewhat surprised that the St. Regis in BKK didn't drop back down to a Cat 5...
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by gpeso8
and somewhat surprised that the St. Regis in BKK didn't drop back down to a Cat 5...
i'm very surprised....
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by trackypup
The Westin is a lovely hotel and has always upgraded us when we booked on points.
Oh yeah! I don't know why I overlook the Westin. Still a category 6.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by christianj
Business people visit the GB and locals visit the Arion, tourists do the islands. With the economy in shambles but island tourism strong as ever these make sense to me.

Hawaii likely priced themselves out SPG awards for me, but overall these changes are rational and I can live with them. I remain hopeful that the new C&P program really does open up more availability leaving us with a solid program compared to what appears to be happening with the other programs.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Depends on your bank. Westin E&R only -- if Cat 6 is not a threat to your bank. Just went up last year. Many FTs hoped last year that it would go back to 5 (as it always been) when Danieli is back from renovation as 6. It will never happen now though as both Gritti and Danieli are 7.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: HHonor Dia, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Wow, it's rather mild compared to Hilton/Marriott.

A few nice (maybe even undervalued) redemptions going up 1 cat, but overall still really good value.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.