Cockroaches and awful service...

Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Cockroaches and awful service...

My family and I checked into one of the Starwood hotels in Waikiki today. About the time we got everything unpacked and arranged to our liking, my wife noticed a couple of small roaches in our room. Two or three quickly became nearly a dozen. The service desk offered us a new room, but they wanted us to go downstairs to pick up the new room keys. About 10 minutes later, the desk called to see how soon we would be done moving (no small feat with two kids and all their stuff). I spent the next hour or so re-packing, unpacking again, or just wheeling a bunch of random stuff down the hall in a crib, looking like I had just robbed an ABC Store. The desk only called one more time to remind us to take the old keys back downstairs. They also took a moment to harass my wife about the number of people in the room since the reservation said just one adult and it obviously wasn't in her name.

Am I wrong to expect better service than that?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
1. Relax. You're in Hawaii.
2. Go down to the beach and have a Mai Tai or three.
3. Live Aloha.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
My family and I checked into one of the Starwood hotels in Waikiki today. About the time we got everything unpacked and arranged to our liking, my wife noticed a couple of small roaches in our room. Two or three quickly became nearly a dozen. The service desk offered us a new room, but they wanted us to go downstairs to pick up the new room keys. About 10 minutes later, the desk called to see how soon we would be done moving (no small feat with two kids and all their stuff). I spent the next hour or so re-packing, unpacking again, or just wheeling a bunch of random stuff down the hall in a crib, looking like I had just robbed an ABC Store. The desk only called one more time to remind us to take the old keys back downstairs. They also took a moment to harass my wife about the number of people in the room since the reservation said just one adult and it obviously wasn't in her name.

Am I wrong to expect better service than that?
Well, you're certainly within your rights to expect to be the only guests in your room. Roaches are unacceptable, especially a dozen. And I think that a more sympathetic, guest-oriented response would have been better. Too, the hotel is within its rights to say/do something about the fact that you reserved a room for one adult and there were obviously more people. Presumably you did that because there's a rate differential? If you want the hotel to play by the rules, you must, too.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:37 am

Programs: Starwood PLATINUM, BA GOLD, KrisFlyer Blue, GFF Silver, BATS After Work Club, Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
3. Live Aloha.
Sounds like good advice for the hotel staff.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
3. Live Aloha.
What don't u put some roaches in ur Mai tai

I hope it is not the Westin
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Well, you're certainly within your rights to expect to be the only guests in your room. Roaches are unacceptable, especially a dozen. And I think that a more sympathetic, guest-oriented response would have been better. Too, the hotel is within its rights to say/do something about the fact that you reserved a room for one adult and there were obviously more people. Presumably you did that because there's a rate differential? If you want the hotel to play by the rules, you must, too.
There is no rate differential. Merely an oversight on my part and a highly irrelevant detail. They even wanted the names of our children. Weird?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
The Princess K?

I hope not, my folks are scheduled to do an overnight there in a few weeks.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Hmmm. A dozen small roaches? A dozen? Small? The roaches in Hawaii aren't small - we call them B52's here because they are huge. And I've never been anywhere here where a dozen are running around. With that said - whether you are at Trump Tower or a Sheraton, this is the tropics and although not common, you run into roaches - especially in high-rises - the hotels spray but roaches can't completely be avoided here.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by billxmeredith
Hmmm. A dozen small roaches? A dozen? Small? The roaches in Hawaii aren't small - we call them B52's here because they are huge. And I've never been anywhere here where a dozen are running around. With that said - whether you are at Trump Tower or a Sheraton, this is the tropics and although not common, you run into roaches - especially in high-rises - the hotels spray but roaches can't completely be avoided here.
Not when I was here before at the Westin. sIN is also in the tropics - even hotter and more humid, I don't see roaches at the st Regis iPod mandarin oriental?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
Originally Posted by correctioncx
Not when I was here before at the Westin. sIN is also in the tropics - even hotter and more humid, I don't see roaches at the st Regis iPod mandarin oriental?
You had roaches at the MOana??????
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ontheway
You had roaches at the MOana??????
No it was really clean and no roaches. How come people can blame it to the tropics?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
The cockroaches were probably the alternative amenity in lieu of the wifi that's included in the resort fee.

And yes, you have the right to be pissed about the way you were treated. Call the GM.

Mike
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mikeef
The cockroaches were probably the alternative amenity in lieu of the wifi that's included in the resort fee.

Mike
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by TheManofaThousandPlaces
They even wanted the names of our children. Weird?
It's part of Starwood's privacy policy to record and permanently retain the names and ages of guests' children.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Honolulu/Waikiki Starwoods... 'nuff said.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.