Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Changes to SPG Cash & Points - effective March 05, 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to SPG Cash & Points - effective March 05, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:23 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by quinella66
At $625 + 30k, if you value the SPG point even at 1.5 cents, which is on the low end, you are talking about $1000/night in cash+points. That can get you an overwater bungalow in Bora Bora.
True, but on my last three visits (SPG50 and SPG355N) I have paid around $700 per night, so it's a terrible deal.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by quinella66
At $625 + 30k, if you value the SPG point even at 1.5 cents, which is on the low end, you are talking about $1000/night in cash+points. That can get you an overwater bungalow in Bora Bora.
Or a night at the St. Regis NYC in December.

Cheers,
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: SPG LTP
Mixed feeling from someone who used C&P quite heavily to date: sounds like devaluation all right, even if indeed it's not unreasonable to up the C&P price after years of stability and arguably sometimes crazy (errr ... fabulous ) value to get from them when available.

Now open up C&P availability for Oktoberfest in Munich and all is well !!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
C&P have gone up incrementally each year, if you consider that the prices rise as properties go up a category (or 2)

This is an additional increase.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:47 pm

How far out have y'all seen Cash & Points availability? Looking for some things next year, but as far as I can tell December is as far out as you can go.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:55 pm
cxn

Originally Posted by TNTravelGuy
How far out have y'all seen Cash & Points availability? Looking for some things next year, but as far as I can tell December is as far out as you can go.
Great just as I was waiting for my wife to nail down some dates in June this comes along.

It looks like all the hotels I am looking at have pulled their C&P rates. I bet they all want to get the higher rates so why allow people to book at the lower rate?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
[QUOTE=Medved;20077093]
Originally Posted by rooivalk
When suites became somewhat available for double points on reward rates it didn't worsen upgrade chances.
I hope you're right, but isn't this different? I would think more folks would jump on C+P for suites than would do so for all-points redemptions. My assumption is that, unless they're absolutely rolling in points, people are more willing to go C+P than burn a good chunk of their points via all-points redemptions.

Hence, I tend to think this will indeed cut into Plat upgrades.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Jan 18, 2013 at 7:54 pm
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:04 pm

in summary:

massive 25% devaluation

adding an upgrade 'feature' to trash the benefits of being platinum. now, instead of 'yeah, we can upgrade you', we'll get, 'yeah, sorry no availability, BUT... if you want to pay even more money and points, i'd be happy to upgrade you'.

personally, i find it offensive when lurker posts this with verbiage such as 'improve and enhance' like we are morons. ya know, like how people change the inflection of their voice when talking to a child. i'm not stupid- call a spade a spade. i suggest:

'we've seen other hotels do it, so we feel as though we've got you hooked now and we're going to massively devalue. there is zero benefit to any of you with a brain, yet we feel as though we can get a way with this, so that's why we're doing it'.

as someone else said- teaches me not to 'bank' points because i trust a particular program. i've been debating doing a couple of challenges, but decided they we're worth it since i would still want to do at lease 50, possibly 75 nights at starwood this year. already fired off my email to Hyatt- so much easier to earn points thru spend and no FTF on the card overseas. the AMEX FTF kills that card for overseas- where 90% of my stay are.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by dcstudent
This is the first increase to the C&P rates in about 10 years so I'm not surprised, generally speaking at the increase.
Properties regularly go up in categories every year, so arguing that teh C&P costs of a room haven't gone up in 10 years isn't accurate.

I'm disappointed this valuable benefit is being diminished, and equally disappointed with the spin on the messaging. Very Marriott/USAir-like.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I was wondering why Aloft Bangkok wasn't showing any C&P for the remainder of the year when just a few days ago it was wide open starting in March.

They've obviously pulled it all in anticipation of a bigger payday. Wondering if that means a jump to Cat 2 as well.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by yvr76
Something had to change as C&P availability was disappearing across the board. But I wish SPG had done one of two things with introducing this change:

- cash portion eligible for points
- guarantee availability of standard rooms for C&P bookings
^^

I'll be watching one property that even when emailed, refuses to offer C&P, even in the summer months when they clearly have sub-50% occupancy levels: Westin Monache Mammoth.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by schley
I see this as a devaluation as I am not married to any particular hotel and am flexible to choose which hotel has c and p rates available. With this being significantly more expensive and me not staying 5 nights usually anywhere (to get the stay 5 pay for 4 via free nights) I don't like it.

I also look at the cpp for C&P vs free nights and those figures don't lie. I always cringed spending points via free nights as I hated seeing my balance drawn down that much. However, with these new changes the free nights 5 for 4 is even more attractive now.

The only saving grace could be when we have our category adjustments and some come down a category.

However take this example. If a property goes from a cat 5 to a cat 4 great you think. Well take a look at the C&P rates before the increase as a cat 5 and after the increase as a cat 4.

As a cat 5
4,800 Starpoints + $90

Moved DOWN to a cat 4
5,000 Starpoints + $75

All in all I will still do my cost analysis when finding rooms, however C&P has been the biggest perk for me staying with SPG. I will evaluate this change, but my feeling now is I won't welcome it in the future anymore than I will now.

with that spin you're giving lurker a run for his money. auditioning for his job?

i don't think it's ANYONE's experience that they lower a hotel's category- quite the opposite. frankly, i think this foreshadows a rise in award night points as well COUPLED with the yearly category bump. they're just trying to stagger the fallout over a couple months by announcing this now. like i said, i'm switching programs. and if they bump the bkk properties up a category in march, i'll be done with SPG for a while. the number of meaningful platinum upgrades in the past year have been almost zero- a higher floor isn't enough to keep my loyalty. not when, unlike most, my stays are all on my dime, as opposed to working for a company. i had a run of over 400 consecutive nights in hotels spread over 3 calendar years. i got more upgrades as gold in 2010 than i got as platinum in 2011, 2012. /rant
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
I wonder if it will be harder for the platinum members to get complimentary suite upgrade in future given that can be purchased from C&P.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:42 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
very bad.....
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:00 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
and book now is a real joke....... i see many properties recently taking away availablity on C&P .... I guess they will all open up after March 5 !!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.