Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood files lawsuit against Le Parker Meridien NYC after "$1m ripoff scam"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood files lawsuit against Le Parker Meridien NYC after "$1m ripoff scam"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Employees with a management history at this hotel may have some career advancement problems going forward.
If what they've done is criminal, career advancement would be difficult from prison.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 5:23 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
I'm amazed that Starwood didn't catch this right away. Assuming they have daily occupancy stats on their hotels, it wouldn't require very sophisticated math to detect the behavior described here.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If what they've done is criminal, career advancement would be difficult from prison.
I have doubts that any federal/state/county/local prosecutor is going to pursue the hotel owners for gaming Starwood over SPG stay reimbursement. Hotels mislead customers, hotel loyalty program operators mislead customers, and here we have but some examples of hotels gaming a hotel loyalty program operator.

As long as the hotel owners fulfilled all of their due tax liability and government reporting requirements, criminal prosecution involving this matter sounds unlikely or an uphill challenge in such matters if getting a conviction is the goal.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:21 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by BigBopper
Does no change mean they're still going to be surly and provide minimal benefits?
No doubt. I'm also sure that they will continue to leave those dangerous coffee makes out of the rooms.

This place made it to my no-stay list a couple years ago.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Now that I think about this some more and reading a post elsewhere by l'etiole, I think it would be good if Starwood expanded their complaint against the LPM's to include past guests.

I know of many SPG members who were denied upgrades and I wonder if that was a result of these fake bookings? And to the point of the owners doing elaborate things to squeeze extra revenue out of SPG, I wonder if all the times I was denied benefits (4PM checkout, points on certain rates, alternative amenity, "forgotten" Ambassador amenities, etc.) SPG was still charged for them? Multiply that by hundreds of guests, and that could make that million dollar figure grow.

It's sad because the Palm Springs property is beautiful, but this lawsuit does connect some dots on why there has been such poor service over the years.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Now that I think about this some more and reading a post elsewhere by l'etiole, I think it would be good if Starwood expanded their complaint against the LPM's to include past guests.

I know of many SPG members who were denied upgrades and I wonder if that was a result of these fake bookings? And to the point of the owners doing elaborate things to squeeze extra revenue out of SPG, I wonder if all the times I was denied benefits (4PM checkout, points on certain rates, alternative amenity, "forgotten" Ambassador amenities, etc.) SPG was still charged for them? Multiply that by hundreds of guests, and that could make that million dollar figure grow.

It's sad because the Palm Springs property is beautiful, but this lawsuit does connect some dots on why there has been such poor service over the years.
I would imagine if the Starwood claim is upheld a class action or few will emerge from the woodwork.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I would imagine if the Starwood claim is upheld a class action or few will emerge from the woodwork.
On what legal ground, though? While there may well be plenty of incidents of benefits not being delivered, I am not aware of any legal recourse for such shortfalls -- certainly not for the SPG members themselves.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
What legal recourse? When I contract for a hotel room I am entering into an agreement to be provided a basket of goods, including gold and platinum benefits. If they are not provided to me for reasons that may not be on the straight and narrow I think there could be a case for breach of contract. Possibly also in tort for damages incurred as a result of LPM's actions. I am sure there are others who are a lot more clever than I am who could think of many more reasons to sue for benefits not being delivered.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by allbrosca
What legal recourse? When I contract for a hotel room I am entering into an agreement to be provided a basket of goods, including gold and platinum benefits. If they are not provided to me for reasons that may not be on the straight and narrow I think there could be a case for breach of contract. Possibly also in tort for damages incurred as a result of LPM's actions. I am sure there are others who are a lot more clever than I am who could think of many more reasons to sue for benefits not being delivered.
Good luck proving it. At least *wood presumably has hard evidence for its suit. Would you? I certainly don't. In fact, for my last stay in December, the LPM well exceeded the stated PLatinum benefits. Go figure.

Cheers,
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by allbrosca
I am sure there are others who are a lot more clever than I am who could think of many more reasons to sue for benefits not being delivered.
Nope. I like your thinking, but forget it. The legal contract one enters into with the hotel has to do with the payment for accommodation, but NOT for elite benefit delivery. In day to day practice, you may get traction on elite benefit issues through SPG, but not through the courts.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:21 pm

these fake occupancies affected your upgrades.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
I don't think the fake occupancy levels would affect anything except the hotel category, thus redemption rates. Obviously I don't know for sure but that's my impression.

The lack of benefits is simply cheap management. And before anyone jumps in to defend them and tell us what a great stay you had, isn't this ENTIRE thread really based on Starwood going after them for dishonest management?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:48 pm

I would imagine not. From the T&Cs:

11.12 Limitation of Liability. IN NO EVENT WILL STARWOOD OR ANY SPG PARTICIPATING HOTEL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER BASED IN CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, WHICH ARISE OUT OF OR ARE IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH THE SPG PROGRAM OR THESE SPG PROGRAM TERMS.

11.13 Choice of Law and Venue. Any disputes arising out of or related to the SPG Program or these SPG Program Terms will be handled individually without any class action, and will be governed by, construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, United States, without regard to its conflicts of law rules. The exclusive jurisdiction for any claim or action arising out of or relating to these SPG Program Terms or the SPG Program may be filed only in the state or federal courts located in the State of New York, United States.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Not from me.

I'm just suggesting that Starwood consider the many guests who were possibly duped/denied benefits by the LPM's actions when calculating the possible fraud.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LAX88
I would imagine not. From the T&Cs:
My read of that is that no action can be taken by an individual against SPG. If however a property has a fraudulent and dishonest scheme in place that impacts the SPG benefits to individuals then presumably there is a right in contract against the property pursuing such a scheme? Particularly when the property's own website extols the virtues of SPG including the tier benefits or links to the SPG benefits page.

Surely at the very least that is tantamount to pre-contractual misrepresentation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.