Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Post Your Platinum Upgrade Failures [2013 - onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Please use this thread to post failures or difficulties in securing Platinum upgrades, based on the published benefits of the Platinum level, which are :

"Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites"

qualified by

"Subject to availability at check-in for the entire length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a pre-paid third-party channel.
Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and may not include upgraded Towers level accommodations unless Towers level accommodations were booked originally.
The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. This benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties"

For a detailed discussion of the Platinum upgrade benefit, see the wiki at I'm Platinum. Why didn't I get a complimentary suite upgrade? [Master thread].

Starwood do not publish which of the various categories of Suites at each hotel are 'Standard', and which are not, so we don't know which Suites are in the 'Upgrade Pool', and which are excluded. So, if a Suite is available under the terms and qualifications of the benefit, but an upgrade is denied, and it is not absolutely clear that the Suite in question is not a "Standard Suite", then we should report that as a failure.

If you only manage to secure a rightful upgrade after challenging the front desk on check-in, or have instances where SNAs (Suite Night Upgrade) were not honoured, then you may report this too.

You may also report instances where suites are showing as available online, but not actually available at the hotel, due to (apparent) differences in real-time availability online.

Please post in standard format :

Property :
Dates(s) :
Room booked :
Room received : (if different than above):
Award stay :: (yes/no), type (C+P, FAN, FWN, FRN, SPG50, etc.)
BRG stay : (yes/no)
SNA(s) requested : (yes/no)
Comments :

...and include in the comments, particularly, the 'non-Standard' Suite category that you failed to secure an upgrade to.
Print Wikipost

Post Your Platinum Upgrade Failures [2013 - onward]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
You're right. I did not adhere to the spirit of this thread. I just realized it's for suspected T&C violations. In that case my Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit stay doesn't belong here. ^
The trouble with this thread is that it is mostly for ranting. Only about a quarter are upgrade failures (suite upgrade available but refused).
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by TerryK
The trouble with this thread is that it is mostly for ranting. Only about a quarter are upgrade failures (suite upgrade available but refused).
100% agree!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Property: Westin Long Beach
Dates(s): August 2013
Room booked: Standard
Award stay: No
BRG stay: (yes/no) No
SNA(s) requested: (yes/no) No
Comments:
Suites show available online but no upgrade received at all (not even to a better room).
Old Oct 2, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Le Meridien ATL:

Booked a Suite, got a suite. No upgrade beyond that. I'm hesitant to call this a failure. No standard rooms were available at booking.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 10:28 am
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by fieldeng
Le Meridien ATL:

Booked a Suite, got a suite. No upgrade beyond that. I'm hesitant to call this a failure. No standard rooms were available at booking.
If you were hesitant to call this a failure, why the post?

I don't understand why some people book a particular suite, then think they are entitled to an upgrade?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I don't understand why some people book a particular suite, then think they are entitled to an upgrade?
Thinking I would get upgraded to one of the bigger corner suites.

What i don't know is whether the suite I have and booked is a standard suite or not.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 8:35 pm
Suspended

What i don't know is whether the suite I have and booked is a standard suite or not.
But you BOOKED what you wanted. Why would you think you would get an upgrade? If you want a corner, book that.

To inquire about the suites, why not call the property?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:41 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Property: Four Points by Sheraton Sheikh Zayed Road
Dates(s): 1 nt in October 2013
Room booked: Classic room king smoking
Room received: Business room king smoking
Award stay: Yes
BRG stay: No
SNA(s) requested: No
Comments: This is grey area. I received a room category upgrade, but I cannot fathom this is the best available room being on the 3rd floor of a 43 storey building. Also, this smoking room really reeks of smoke.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 5:56 am

What you were thinking isn't a Plat benefit. So you absolutely didn't have an upgrade "failure".

Cheers,
Old Oct 8, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by remymartin
Property: Four Points by Sheraton Sheikh Zayed Road
Dates(s): 1 nt in October 2013
Room booked: Classic room king smoking
Room received: Business room king smoking
Award stay: Yes
BRG stay: No
SNA(s) requested: No
Comments: This is grey area. I received a room category upgrade, but I cannot fathom this is the best available room being on the 3rd floor of a 43 storey building. Also, this smoking room really reeks of smoke.
How can you classify this as a failure? The 'Business Room' is actually a 1 bedroom suite and is the standard suite at this property.

IIRC, all rooms over the 16th floor are specialty suites that do not fall in the upgrade pool so they probably gave you the best available upgradable suite. Unfortunately it was on a lower floor.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands
How can you classify this as a failure? The 'Business Room' is actually a 1 bedroom suite and is the standard suite at this property.

IIRC, all rooms over the 16th floor are specialty suites that do not fall in the upgrade pool so they probably gave you the best available upgradable suite. Unfortunately it was on a lower floor.
As I wrote, this is grey area. I truly felt this was the worst "business room" they could've given me, given that it reeked of smoke and was on the second lowest guest room floor.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by remymartin
As I wrote, this is grey area. I truly felt this was the worst "business room" they could've given me, given that it reeked of smoke and was on the second lowest guest room floor.
But what has that smell of the room and location got to do with the "upgrade" itself?

There is no grey area. You are upgrade or not. Are people not being upgraded? Or are people not happy with the room assigned. If that is the case, what is the cause of the non upgrade? Example: Is the property hosting a conference? Booked a wedding/several weddings.

As great and informative as this forum is, the inconsistency of accurate reporting of an upgrade failure, is a major reason why I think this particular thread is joke.

Last edited by KENNECTED; Oct 8, 2013 at 10:17 am
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Property: W Atlanta Buckhead
Room booked: Wonderful Room
Comments:
Every room category (Fabulous, Spectular and WOW suite) showed available for that night at check in--no upgrade given. I did not make a big stink as I was there for only one night. Should have listened to FTers about this property.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:30 am
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
Property: W Atlanta Buckhead
Room booked: Wonderful Room
Comments:
Every room category (Fabulous, Spectular and WOW suite) showed available for that night at check in--no upgrade given. I did not make a big stink as I was there for only one night. Should have listened to FTers about this property.
I'm going to use this property as another example of why I think this thread is flawed. Not the post, but the situation. Please note I am in no way flaming the poster.

Shortly after this property opened, I toured it. It's a 290 room hotel and 5 of those rooms being suites. IIRC, all the guest rooms are the same size. The "upgrade" is to a higher floor. The property has four (4) wow suites and one (1) extreme wow suite.

None of the suites, as I recall, are in the select standard upgrade pool. [This may have changed, since my one and only stay].

My question, how can this be a failure, when there is not an select standard suite at this property?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I'm going to use this property as another example of why I think this thread is flawed. Not the post, but the situation. Please note I am in no way flaming the poster.

Shortly after this property opened, I toured it. It's a 290 room hotel and 5 of those rooms being suites. IIRC, all the guest rooms are the same size. The "upgrade" is to a higher floor. The property has four (4) wow suites and one (1) extreme wow suite.

None of the suites, as I recall, are in the select standard upgrade pool. [This may have changed, since my one and only stay].

My question, how can this be a failure, when there is not an select standard suite at this property?

You are correct (I believe) that the WOW suites and the 1 Super Wow (or whatever the hell they call it!) are not in the pool. With that, I was on the 4th or 5th floor...I just have to believe there were better rooms than that...as I checked in around 6pm.

Now with that, I am one that could care less about floor level, so if you are right and the difference between a wonderful, spectacular and fabulous is simply floor level, I didn't miss out on much (And frankly, yet another reason for me to avoid this property in the future)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.