Wiki Posts
Search

Point loss for lack of stays?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:29 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Point loss for lack of stays?

I have a friend who had one stay for 2012, and he thinks that SPG took some points away for that minimal business, but it would be news to me, and I hit Plat every year anyway...anybody know?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Points are lost after a year of no activity.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:52 pm
Suspended

if your friend looks under the "activity" section, he will see all credits and debits. pretty straightforward.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tomjoe
I have a friend who had one stay for 2012, and he thinks that SPG took some points away for that minimal business, but it would be news to me, and I hit Plat every year anyway...anybody know?
Was it a paid stay or an award stay? And how early in the year?

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Points are lost after a year of no activity.
IIRC, it's only fairly recently (earlier this year?) that SPG made redemption activity also extend expiration. Prior to that, I believe only earning on stays extended expiration.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I don't believe expiration would take "some" points away. If the points expired due to inactivity, it would be down to 0, no?

As noted, the web site shows all activity - it should be easy to see. Is there a reason your friend believes points were taken - does he/she keep previous statements and sees a difference? A call to SPG should be an easy way to find out.

They certainly didn't take points as a "penalty" for not staying many nights, if that's what he/she/you are implying.

Last edited by CPRich; Dec 22, 2012 at 8:09 am
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AC Altitude50
I just got a notice from Hilton advising me I'd lose my points if I didn't stay. Fortunately, I was away and the Sheraton was a block from the Hilton so I changed for 1 night and kept my account alive. It didn't make me want to be a customer of Hilton.

Also see thread on how to keep points alive.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ng-points.html

Last edited by canalskater; Dec 21, 2012 at 11:43 pm
Old Dec 25, 2012, 2:56 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by canalskater
I just got a notice from Hilton advising me I'd lose my points if I didn't stay. Fortunately, I was away and the Sheraton was a block from the Hilton so I changed for 1 night and kept my account alive. It didn't make me want to be a customer of Hilton.

Also see thread on how to keep points alive.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ng-points.html
Way to reward them for their draconian regulations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.