Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Mandatory $10 Daily Facilities Charge - Starts 1/1/13 at Le Parker Meridien NYC

Mandatory $10 Daily Facilities Charge - Starts 1/1/13 at Le Parker Meridien NYC

Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The whole issue of stealth fees which are unavoidable but which slightly reduce advertised headline rates are very familiar in the European LCC Airline market, which this property seems to emulate.
And which have been deemed deceptive in Europe and are no longer a practice (you did say "unavoidable fees").

The Unfair Commercial Practices Directive 2005/29/EC which came into force on 27 December 2007, has introduced important provisions on how pre-contractual information shall be provided to consumers. Price is one of the key parts to which the concept of misleading information, produced either by the information provided or by the omission of the necessary information, would apply. Obligations regarding the final "all inclusive" price information are also clearly stated in the Directive.

The new Regulation on Air Services (EC) No 1008/2008 entered into force on 1st November 2008. The Air Service Regulation provides clear rules on the obligations for the travel industry to provide an "all-inclusive" final price at the beginning of the booking process, a breakdown of the final "all inclusive" price which is to include the fare or rate, the taxes, the airport charges and other charges and a clear distinction between unavoidable and optional charges. The Regulation also prescribes how this information must be presented to consumers: for instance, optional charges must be offered in an "opt-in basis".

These rules apply to fares and rates published on the Internet. Airlines and tour operators selling airline tickets for air services departing from an EU airport are under the obligation to comply with these provisions since 1st November 2008.

Last edited by hillrider; Dec 7, 2012 at 12:13 pm
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon
+1. ^

And yes, I too have stayed at this hotel multiple times over several years.

So, Flews, great that it works nicely for you, but please do have the courtesy to not dismiss other posts as either outrage or accusations of not having stayed at the property. Thanks.
As David said, it was a rhetorical question. I was simply speaking about my own experience, not yours. My point was if you had stayed there and use the pool, it comes out as a wash or better. That's all.

Cheers,
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Flews
One of the reasons I stay there is because it is one of a limited number of *wood NYC properties that has a pool.
Stay at The Chatwal...not too far away from the LPM and they'll let you use the pool for free all you want!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:25 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
This hotel has already disappeared from my place-to-stay-in-nyc list.

Sucks!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I once forgot to print my tickets for a Broadway play. I used the downstairs facility. It cost me around $7 to the use the internet for 15 seconds (to login to GMail and print the tickets) and around $8 to print the tickets (on one page). This hotel has always been about gouging money from their guests.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by vandalby
Stay at The Chatwal...not too far away from the LPM and they'll let you use the pool for free all you want!
I am very aware of that. Except whenever I have done comparisions, the Chatwal consistently comes up a hundred bucks or more higher in price. So the "free" pool would end up costing me 10+ times more!

Cheers,
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:00 am
FSU

Just noticed this $10 facility fee at the Westin Chicago Northwest, so apparently it is spreading.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:11 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by FSU
Just noticed this $10 facility fee at the Westin Chicago Northwest, so apparently it is spreading.
Once again, ridiculous.

Although, unlike LPM, this "facility fee" is more clearly disclosed at the booking screen. Still a terrible development.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:29 am
Company Representative - Le Parker Meridien

Programs: Le Parker Meridien
no boogers here

Originally Posted by bocastephen
They should be subject to the Alternative Amenity program since the fee includes the internet (this program appears to be a grab to get cash from everyone who doesn't sign up for internet).

Since I know this hotel well, I should say for the record that the Alternative Amenity *does not* include flicking a booger at the customer across the front desk while sneering menacingly. Sorry to disappoint the staff of the LPMNYC.
Lovely imagery. We are discussing what added benefits we will offer Platinum guests. The details have not been ironed out yet. I will keep the FT crew updated.

Have a good One!

Lisa Tharp
Director of Guest Relations
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hillrider
And which have been deemed deceptive in Europe and are no longer a practice (you did say "unavoidable fees").

The Unfair Commercial Practices Directive 2005/29/EC which came into force on 27 December 2007, has introduced important provisions on how pre-contractual information shall be provided to consumers. Price is one of the key parts to which the concept of misleading information, produced either by the information provided or by the omission of the necessary information, would apply. Obligations regarding the final "all inclusive" price information are also clearly stated in the Directive.

The new Regulation on Air Services (EC) No 1008/2008 entered into force on 1st November 2008. The Air Service Regulation provides clear rules on the obligations for the travel industry to provide an "all-inclusive" final price at the beginning of the booking process, a breakdown of the final "all inclusive" price which is to include the fare or rate, the taxes, the airport charges and other charges and a clear distinction between unavoidable and optional charges. The Regulation also prescribes how this information must be presented to consumers: for instance, optional charges must be offered in an "opt-in basis".

These rules apply to fares and rates published on the Internet. Airlines and tour operators selling airline tickets for air services departing from an EU airport are under the obligation to comply with these provisions since 1st November 2008.
There are many fees still charged however because they are optional, like the booking fee that you can only avoid if you have an obscure card obtained only by climbing a 100 ft tree in a remote village in Norway

There are also other fees which are avoidable in theory but less so in practice (e.g. baggage fees etc.). There are plenty of ways in which the good (and the not so good) LCC's gouge their customers and this seems to be an interesting model (academically rather than one I would like to experience as a customer) for a hotel.

Some further thoughts for the LPM:-

Easyhotel have been exploring the potential to charge for things which typically are bundled into the nightly rate. For example rooms which have a window come at a premium and whilst all rooms at Easyhotel have a TV if you actually want to use it that comes at an additional charge too.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:36 am

printing

Originally Posted by jibi
I once forgot to print my tickets for a Broadway play. I used the downstairs facility. It cost me around $7 to the use the internet for 15 seconds (to login to GMail and print the tickets) and around $8 to print the tickets (on one page). This hotel has always been about gouging money from their guests.
Our business center kiosks are run by an outside company. We asked them to join us solely for the benefit of the guest who need access to these serves. We have to abide by their pricing and do not receive a "cut." Next visit, consider booking your tickets with our concierge team, they'll have everything ready for you when you arrive... and there is no fee to use the assistance of the concierge, although tipping is customary.

Have a good one!

Lisa Tharp
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:50 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by LPMguestRelations
Lovely imagery. We are discussing what added benefits we will offer Platinum guests. The details have not been ironed out yet. I will keep the FT crew updated.

Have a good One!

Lisa Tharp
Thanks for responding Lisa!

We look forward to your updates on inclusions, fee rationale, and how you plan to tweak this for Platinum guests etc.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:26 am

"Wringing" in the New Year

Hello FT!

Questions about the new facility fee? Good, discussion is very helpful. 1st... Change can be scary, but I promise this won't hurt! 2nd... The facility has been announced, so will the PLATINUM benefit changes- give us a chance. If you don't think the good out weighs the fee- we understand you/we may part ways. I don't think it will come to that. 3rd... we get a bum wrap in general but THIS CHANGE IS SPECIFICALLY INTENDED TO HELP GUESTS PAY LESS. No dark agenda. We're not trying to hide a fee, we are opening our hotel more fully to our guests ( and actively posting the information IN ADVANCE) We're still figuring out the extent of it. Fees also potentially going away: Fridge, microwave, kettle, rollaway, the options are endless. Keeping with the season: Think of us as Santa... what do you want in your (hotel) stocking.

More to come.

Have a good one!

Lisa Tharp
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Hello FT!

Questions about the new facility fee? Good, discussion is very helpful. 1st... Change can be scary, but I promise this won't hurt! 2nd... The facility has been announced, so will the PLATINUM benefit changes- give us a chance. If you don't think the good out weighs the fee- we understand you/we may part ways. I don't think it will come to that. 3rd... we get a bum wrap in general but THIS CHANGE IS SPECIFICALLY INTENDED TO HELP GUESTS PAY LESS. No dark agenda. We're not trying to hide a fee, we are opening our hotel more fully to our guests ( and actively posting the information IN ADVANCE) We're still figuring out the extent of it. Fees also potentially going away: Fridge, microwave, kettle, rollaway, the options are endless. Keeping with the season: Think of us as Santa... what do you want in your (hotel) stocking.

More to come.

Have a good one!

Lisa Tharp
Welcome,

Just so there isn't any confusion, and to help everyone understand. Could you be so kind as to list the items included in the Facility Charge and a list of benefits Platinum Elite Members will be entitled?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:17 am
Suspended

Hello FT!

More to come.

Have a good one!

Lisa Tharp
how much will you be charging for having the glass in the windows instead of just an empty window frame?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.