Parker Meridien NYC evacuated (collapsed crane on W57th - Sandy)

Old Oct 29, 12, 4:51 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Yes!
Parker Meridien NYC evacuated (collapsed crane on W57th - Sandy)

Just a quick heads up for anyone booked at the Parker Meridien NYC, or looking for potential SPG hotels for shelter in NYC.

The hotel has been evacuated in the last hour, due to a collapsing crane on the construction next door. (157 W57th between 6th and 7th, right where the hotel is.)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89S13R20121029

Stay safe everyone.
Old Oct 29, 12, 5:29 pm
Original Member

And I am one of the guests!

Well, I am one of those guests. We are quietly gathered on a third floor banquet room awaiting a bus to another hotel. It's not the crane so much as it is the fear that if it does collapse that it might rupture a gas line and put a large area at risk. No panic. Very orderly.

Will keep you posted.
Old Oct 29, 12, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mpclaw View Post
Well, I am one of those guests. We are quietly gathered on a third floor banquet room awaiting a bus to another hotel. It's not the crane so much as it is the fear that if it does collapse that it might rupture a gas line and put a large area at risk. No panic. Very orderly.

Will keep you posted.
Thanks for the update!

Stay safe.
Old Oct 29, 12, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, DL Silver, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AJLondon View Post
Just a quick heads up for anyone booked at the Parker Meridien NYC, or looking for potential SPG hotels for shelter in NYC.

The hotel has been evacuated in the last hour, due to a collapsing crane on the construction next door. (157 W57th between 6th and 7th, right where the hotel is.)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89S13R20121029

Stay safe everyone.
Thanks. Already previously reported here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19587702-post486.html
Old Oct 29, 12, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCBob View Post
Thanks. Already previously reported here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19587702-post486.html
IMHO this is a one off freak occurrence that can stay separate from the master thread (which reflects "typical" stay experiences over the course of time during normal operations...)

This thread can easily die when Sandy does. Just IMHO. Of course, the mods of this forum are free to merge this into the master thread if they feel it to be more appropriate. I am fine with it either way...
Old Oct 29, 12, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AJLondon View Post
IMHO this is a one off freak occurrence that can stay separate from the master thread (which reflects "typical" stay experiences over the course of time during normal operations...)

This thread can easily die when Sandy does. Just IMHO. Of course, the mods of this forum are free to merge this into the master thread if they feel it to be more appropriate. I am fine with it either way...
Completely agree with you. I see no reason this specific topic need live in the master thread forever.

Regards
Old Oct 29, 12, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

I was doing some research on the building under construction across from LPM, one57, and found they had a great 360 degree view of Manhattan so thought it worth sharing:

http://one57.com/krpano/B895.html

one57 BTW has been under construction since '09.
Old Oct 30, 12, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
I was doing some research on the building under construction across from LPM, one57, and found they had a great 360 degree view of Manhattan so thought it worth sharing:

http://one57.com/krpano/B895.html

one57 BTW has been under construction since '09.
Amazing views!
Old Oct 30, 12, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpclaw View Post

Will keep you posted.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/hotelc...sandy/1667323/
"We are currently relocating guests and the decision to re-open will be up to local officials on when they deem the surrounding area safe," Starwood spokeswoman Nadeen Ayala told Hotel Check-In.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...-down-on-city/
900 guests at the Parker Meridien hotel, were being evacuated
16 manhattan *wood
cat 5 - 8
cat 6 - 6 (incl parker meridien)
cat 7 - 2

http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloom...om-3991350.php
Starwood...closed the W New York Downtown as part of the evacuation, and the hotelier “made all necessary storm preparations to continue to accommodate guests” as Hurricane Sandy affects properties in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington and other parts of the region, according to an e-mailed statement.

In Atlantic City, Starwood closed the Sheraton to guests as part of that city’s evacuation order. The property is being used as a staging area for emergency workers, the Stamford, Connecticut-based hotelier said.

Starwood’s storm preparations included stocking hotels with extra food and water and testing back-up power systems, said Nadeen Ayala, a company spokeswoman.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 30, 12 at 11:29 am
Old Oct 30, 12, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Platinum, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by chanp View Post
Amazing views!
I guess that's why the top penthouses were sold for $90 million each.
Old Oct 30, 12, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Plantsville, CT USA; via West Hartford, CT; Stamford, CT; South Bend, IN; London, U.K. and Westchester County, NY
Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Starwood Lifetime PLT
So where did they send guests?
Old Oct 30, 12, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PresRDC View Post
I'm hoping mpclaw will be able to update us once he/she gets a chance...
Old Oct 30, 12, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PresRDC View Post
My guess would be multiple places given circumstances...

Regards
Old Oct 30, 12, 10:40 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
My guess would be multiple places given circumstances...

Regards
Have to be some non SPG properties. I am sure the N NJ and NYC properties were toast. Outside of PHL and NYC SPG is scarce. Nothing west of NYC until Buffalo
Old Oct 30, 12, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by etsmyers View Post
Have to be some non SPG properties. I am sure the N NJ and NYC properties were toast. Outside of PHL and NYC SPG is scarce. Nothing west of NYC until Buffalo
I'm not so sure. The W Downtown and the W Union Square would be without hope of power for a while but anything above the middle of midtown and higher should be OK unless its near the crane. I'm not sure about the aloft Brooklyn and a couple other suburban properties. Remember that Sheraton LGA East isn't near LGA, but it would seem isolated from NYC with the subway system, etc. knocked out.

PHL area Starwoods should be OK, as would b the case of DC. There's a new (reflagged IIRC) Sheraton near Hartford.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: