Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, Miami Beach, FL [Master Thread]

St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, Miami Beach, FL [Master Thread]

Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Arrow St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, Miami Beach, FL [Master Thread]

I just spent 4 nights at the St. Regis Bal Habor. I used points to book the room and then upgraded using the new Platinum suite upgrade benefit.

It is a first rate hotel, an excellent addition to the St. Regis family. The hotel is fully operational; the staff are super keen.

They are still working through a few "bugs":

* the fire alarms were going off/being tested on 2 days this week.
* our suite's air conditioning unit made a cracking sound on an intermittent basis
* the automated lights/curtains stopped working but were quickly reset by maintenance
* the butler service operators need to pay a little more attention to what is being requested. we ordered earl grey tea on 3 separate occasions and on each one they got the order wrong.

But these are all minor quirks far outweighed by the benefits of an amazing, modern, hotel with a great location.

The platinum breakfast is basically the (small, but excellent) continental breakfast buffet with several minor exceptions.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
May I ask you what room you booked and what room you secured via Suite Night Upgrades? I have reserved a Deluxe Ocean View and SPG.com is offering an Oceanfront Studio as the possible upgrade. As it is only 25 square feet bigger (I guess it also has a kitchenette) it does not seem like a particularly good way to use my benefit. Please let me know if you were offered a better room category for upgrade (Oceanfront Suite or higher) as i am wondering if the inventory for these upgrades is static or varies by projected occupancy rate. Thanks from a fellow Chicagoan.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Just went to the promos page for this property and half of them are invalid codes rather than just being not available, even though I'm trying to book within the terms listed.
Is this a regular thing with new St. Regis properties?
Old May 5, 2012, 2:28 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by jchiguy1
May I ask you what room you booked and what room you secured via Suite Night Upgrades? I have reserved a Deluxe Ocean View and SPG.com is offering an Oceanfront Studio as the possible upgrade. As it is only 25 square feet bigger (I guess it also has a kitchenette) it does not seem like a particularly good way to use my benefit. Please let me know if you were offered a better room category for upgrade (Oceanfront Suite or higher) as i am wondering if the inventory for these upgrades is static or varies by projected occupancy rate. Thanks from a fellow Chicagoan.
I'm planning to stay there in June and it seems the same thing is showing. I don't know if that's the only suite upgrade at this hotel or not.
Old May 10, 2012, 7:15 pm

Just to update I arrive at the hotel this Monday (5/14) and was pre-upgraded today to the Oceanfront Grand Luxe Studio Suite. We'll see if that sticks and if i can talk my way into a higher room category at check-in.
Old May 10, 2012, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by jchiguy1
Just to update I arrive at the hotel this Monday (5/14) and was pre-upgraded today to the Oceanfront Grand Luxe Studio Suite. We'll see if that sticks and if i can talk my way into a higher room category at check-in.
It seems that yes the only difference between the two is the kitchenette. They have all floorplans here:

http://www.stregisbalharbour.com/en/rooms
Old May 21, 2012, 2:09 pm

We are considering this hotel for a October 2012 vacation with our 14 month old daughter? Any comments on this hotel in terms of child friendly? Is it lots of families or mainly just couples? Also are there restaurants close by within walking distance for breakfast, lunch, dinner that are not st. regis prices!
Old May 21, 2012, 5:21 pm

Stayed at the hotel last week 5/14-18. Friendly efficient staff, fabulous rooms and lots of families with kids seemingly having a marvelous time. I recommend Santa Fe Coffee Bar on the second floor of Bal Harbour Shops across the street for a quick bite. There are also quite a few restaurants on Harding Av in Surfside(two blocks from the hotel)including the casual dining chain Flanigan's Seafood Grill and Cafe Ragazzi for Italian. I also love Da Vinci on Kane Concourse four blocks or so west of the hotel. Enjoy! Edited to add there is a CVS drugstore and a Publix supermarket also within walking distance on Harding Av.

Last edited by jchiguy1; May 21, 2012 at 5:24 pm Reason: content
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:53 pm

Currently staying at the hotel. There are two sides of the hotel, the north and the south. The north side are rooms that end with an odd number, and the south are the ones that end with even numbers.

I was upgraded to a studio on the 20th floor on the south side, asked which was better and was told that the south is better because itgets more sun. Didn't like it really, the view was ok but the north side was better, I switched on the 2nd day to the north side on the 21st floor and the views are way better than the south side. I didn't enjoy the south as much as the north.

Had breakfast at Atlantico using my amenity, it was only continental but can be upgraded to full for 20.32 USD per person (icluding taxes and service charges) not worth it when there are only 3 or 4 hot items. Was told that I can only take from the cold items as I said before it's like having someone on your shoulder saying "no, yes, no, yes".

The room is spacious, all of the studios I believe end in 3's and 4's, the 2's and 1's are big suites as they have two balconies. Other higher numbers are regular rooms, the hight the number the further you go away down the back.

Had difficulty sleeping at night since you can't get the A/C lower than 18.5 C (65 F), it goes to auto mode automatically so you will have periods when there is no air in the room while sleeping.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Currently staying at the hotel. There are two sides of the hotel, the north and the south. The north side are rooms that end with an odd number, and the south are the ones that end with even numbers.

I was upgraded to a studio on the 20th floor on the south side, asked which was better and was told that the south is better because itgets more sun. Didn't like it really, the view was ok but the north side was better, I switched on the 2nd day to the north side on the 21st floor and the views are way better than the south side. I didn't enjoy the south as much as the north.

Had breakfast at Atlantico using my amenity, it was only continental but can be upgraded to full for 20.32 USD per person (icluding taxes and service charges) not worth it when there are only 3 or 4 hot items. Was told that I can only take from the cold items as I said before it's like having someone on your shoulder saying "no, yes, no, yes".

The room is spacious, all of the studios I believe end in 3's and 4's, the 2's and 1's are big suites as they have two balconies. Other higher numbers are regular rooms, the hight the number the further you go away down the back.

Had difficulty sleeping at night since you can't get the A/C lower than 18.5 C (65 F), it goes to auto mode automatically so you will have periods when there is no air in the room while sleeping.
A timely update; thank you! I am due to check in this coming Friday for a two-night weekend stay.

Can you elaborate on the views from the North and South sides? Both have a view of the water/beach, right? Or, is one side's views obstructed by buildings?

Do you know if the Studios are considered the standard upgrade for Platinums? Or, were the standard Suites not available so you didn't get one?

Last edited by Fly Me To The Moon; Jun 11, 2012 at 6:45 pm
Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
A timely update; thank you! I am due to check in this coming Friday for a two-night weekend stay.
I'm checking out this Friday, hopefully you can get a nice room.

Can you elaborate on the views from the North and South sides? Both have a view of the water/beach, right? Or, is one side's views obstructed by buildings?

The south side is obstructed by a small building, It actually annoyed me, when I checked in I remember I saw a view from one of the rooms on tripadvisor, so I went to the site and it turns out that the view over the north side is way better so I requested for the change. Even at night the view is better. They both have views of the beach but the north has more beach to it and you can see the building further north as well. If you want a nice view, then get a room on the north side on the highest floor possible.

Do you know if the Studios are considered the standard upgrade for Platinums? Or, were the standard Suites not available so you didn't get one?
The Studios are the standard upgrades for Plats, I was going to use some SNA's but it turned out the only thing I could use it is for the Studio which is only 75 sqf bigger than the smallest room (not worth using 5 SNA's). The only differance is the kitchenette, and that they are the closest room to the beach.

Don't put anything in the freezer (I thought it was a 2nd fridge), there are 2 drawers, the one on the top is the minibar-fridge and the bottom is the freezer, I brought some drinks with me and put them in the freezer, Everything exploeded while I was sleeping.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:37 pm

Luckily my wife loves to take pics, and I found two pics of each view. So you be the judge.

The north side. This is an angle shot.

The south side. This is a straight shot.

Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
I'm checking out this Friday, hopefully you can get a nice room.
Thank you for the reply, LovetoTravel83, and also for your tip about the freezer!

Fully agree that the North side has way better views. I will make sure I request this upon checkin.

Enjoy the rest of your stay; I am certainly looking forward to mine.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: Spg Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, United 1k
I booked an astor studio suite for an upcoming july stay. Anyone have any experience about getting upgraded from that as a platinum?

Last edited by luxetraveller; Jun 12, 2012 at 7:09 pm Reason: .
Old Jun 16, 2012, 2:12 pm

Added to my small review above.

Checked out yesterday. Have to say that the resot is one of the best. I love how when you ride the elevator up and your room is right infront of the elevator (only two rooms for each floor), But if the elevator opens from the other side then you ge the hallway for the other rooms. Breakfast was always good.

Requested a late checkout and they said that we can do until 2 pm but after that there is a charge, I said that I am a plat and we get 4 pm for free, then she said only if available (so if I pay it's ok but comp is only if available). I sent an email to my ambassador which she helped, I even got a 5 pm late checkout because I was watching a soccer match that was going to be over around that time.

The studios were nice with the kitchenette, we used them from time to time.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, hopefully we will be back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.