Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expired points / account

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Expired points / account

I used to be an active SPG member, platinum and so forth, with weekly stays via my job. That declined a bit and then in 2010/11 I stopped traveling altogether.

I just went to log onto my account and was given an error that my account was suspended.

I dug up an old statement and I see now that my 20k points were set to expire in Sept 2011.

I'm planning a trip that could involve a Starwood stay and I'm also looking at transferring some credit card points to Starwood.

Is there any strategy by which I might get some of those expired points credited back to me?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How long was your account inactive? If you traveled a lot through 2010-2011, it seems that there should have been longer period before SPG deleted the account. When was your last stay?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL,HH,MR,Hertz
I had only about 1,200 expired points and did an online chat with Starwood, and just asked if my account and miles could be reinstated and they were. The miles didn't reappear instantly - I think it may have taken a week or two. I don't know if they'd do the same for a larger amount of miles, but you've clearly been a good customer so I would think they'd be glad you're back.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

I was very active from 2001 to around 2007 when my travel started to drop off. The last stay I can remember was in December 2008 but there may have been one or two after that. I can't log on to verify my exact last stay.

I'll try their online chat and see what happens. I'll just ask nicely

Thanks for the input.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:52 pm

call them I have never had a problem re instating pts for anyone.
if there is a prob ( which should not be) tell them you are about to book a trip and need the account and need the pts on there.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Marriott Silver, AC, DL
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
call them I have never had a problem re instating pts for anyone.
if there is a prob ( which should not be) tell them you are about to book a trip and need the account and need the pts on there.
This was my experience as well... My account had been inactive for a couple of years, and I was setting everything up for an upcoming stay with the Better by the Night promotion and the Aeroplan bonus points... Had to call in to re-activate the account, and the CSR put in the request to re-instate my previously expired points without me even asking.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
So do the points really expire or does your account just go inactive, and a phone call will solve the problem.

If there was an expiration I thought they should show it on the account.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:17 pm

From the SPG program Terms of Service:

4.2 Forfeiting Starpoints. Except for SVO Owners to whom the obligations in Section 9 apply, Starpoints earned or otherwise obtained by an SPG Member will forfeit without notice if the SPG Member becomes Inactive, even if the SPG Member has achieved SPG Lifetime Gold or SPG Lifetime Platinum status. An SPG Member is considered "Inactive" if during a 12 month period: (a) the SPG Member has not had an Eligible Stay at an SPG Participating Hotel; (b) the SPG Member has not earned or redeemed any Starpoints, or (c) the SPG Member's account has been cancelled.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by maharashii
I'm planning a trip that could involve a Starwood stay and I'm also looking at transferring some credit card points to Starwood.

When you phone into Starwood, to ask pretty please can you reinstate my points, you may as well have a specific booking that you'd like to make.

They might offer to restore your points following the completion of your stay.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:06 pm

Do you use your Spg credit card or do you not have it?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Even Audience rewards would keep it active.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
What about making a random booking using points or points and cash at any property and then cancelling the booking, would that keep it active?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
My business travel fell off to almost nothing also. I kept the SPG account going in case that changes. Quite easy to nurse along a year at a time:

1. Eat at a hotel and attach your SPG number to the dining folio, even if you are not staying at the hotel.
2. Attach the number to a car rental.
3. Book a personal hotel stay, even if its not the closest or the cheapest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.