Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

How to spend SPG points [San Sebastian Maria Cristina or Sheraton Stockholm ?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Should I book a week in San Sebastian at the Maria Cristina or a week in Stockholm at the Sheraton Stockholm...

I know there is a big difference, since Maria Cristina is an aspirational property.

And these are different types of vacation I suppose...

I don't know if I'll be bored in San Sebastian..Stockholm will probably have more to do

I like food, beautiful streets, museums.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:21 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
You're asking strangers who know nothing of your tastes what you'll like better?

Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
You're asking strangers who know nothing of your tastes what you'll like better?
Originally Posted by DealAddict
I like food, beautiful streets, museums.

^
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element

I listed some things I like... just wondering if anyone has been in both hotels / cities and what they though. I know it's apples and oranges.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Stockholm.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Haven't been to Stockholm, but San Sebastian is really nice. Amazing food (highest per capita of Michelin stars of any city, excluding very small towns). Bilbao is an easy hour away by bus or train, so you can visit the Guggenheim Museum designed by Frank Gehry. The hotel is also beautiful. Pais Vasco has stunning scenery.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
At least apples and oranges are both fruit. San Sebastian and Stockholm are two entirely different holiday experiences.

I like Stockholm but I couldn't imagine keeping myself occupied for a full week there. It's more like a long weekend for me unless you know a Swede who takes you out to nice islands in the archipelago.

If you get bored in San Sebastian, you can take day trips to Bilbao, Biarritz, the Rioja region, etc. Food is also amazing - pintxos, seafood etc. - without even considering the Michelin starred places.

And there's no comparison between a Sheraton, any Sheraton, and the Maria Cristina, although of course you're usually paying a lot more for the Maria Cristina.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why a week? Stay five nights to take advantage of the fifth night free on SPG redemptions. Expand the trip to ten days and add Barcelona to San Sebastian.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
I agree with San Sebastian.

Stockholm was boring for me after 3 nights (from a 5 nighter)

And might as well make the most of staying at aspirational properties before the merger. After merger who knows how many people you now have to compete with for bennies

Last edited by supatight80; Apr 13, 2016 at 10:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.