Wiki Posts
Search

Osaka: Which Starwood?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Star Alliance Gold/UA Premier Exec
Osaka: Which Starwood?

My husband and i are planning a 4.5 day, 4 night trip to Osaka/Kyoto in late November to catch some fall foliage in the surrounding areas. We have already been to Kyoto, will probably go again, so we want to stay in Osaka for at least 2 out of the 4 nights (if not all 4) on this trip. Plus as it's prime fall leaves season the hotels in Kyoto are extremely expensive ($500 for the Westin)

Starwood rates for our dates seem reasonable - $180 or so for the Sheraton, $240 for the Westin, $300 for the St. Regis. After glancing at some photos my gut says to go with the St. Regis for the price differential (that looks like an old Westin!) but i wanted to get some thoughts from this group, and if we should bother spending a night in Kyoto, or is it easy from these hotels to take a day trip? Any suggestions welcome.

it seems all the 3 Starwood options are situationed in locations that are easy enough to leave Osaka - we would also maybe like to go to Himeji...any where with good fall folliage (rather than city sites). we are gold so plat benefits aren't of any interest. I saw the hilton recommended however it's even more $$ than the St. Regis, and i try to stick with SPG....
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:04 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Air New Zealand Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum
Hi Scorpio29, I just got back from Osaka yesterday. We decided to base in Osaka for six nights and do day trips out to Kyoto and Kobe instead of having to switch hotels. It worked well.

We stayed at the St Regis and it was fantastic. With only 160 rooms it feels like a boutique hotel. Fit out of the rooms is impeccable and the service has the precision and grace that only the best Japanese establishments can offer. Be warned, that it doesn't have a pool or even a jacuzzi which was quite a shock. From my experience, the St Regis is much newer than the other Starwoods and very worth the premium you listed above. Enjoy!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:14 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
At those prices, St Regis.

Westin is poorly located, but you can walk to the JR Osaka station in 10 mins, which makes day trips convenient - Himeji, included.

St Regis is a lot newer and all rooms quite pleasant.

For Kyoto, rather than change hotel, why not stay at Osaka for the whole time. It's a Y490 train ride that takes 45 odd minutes from Osaka, on the Hankyu Line. There is also the Keihan Line which leaves from close to St Regis and will drop you across the river from Kyoto city, and on the right side of the river for many museums/temples.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Update on the prices: SPG.com has by far the highest prices - if i book through a consolidator (or use the best rate guarantee):
St. Regis: $330 a night ($1300 total)
Westin $200 (~$840)
Sheraton $153 a night ($610).
so is the st. Regis worth double the Sheraton....?

Thanks for the advice - for a 45 minute train ride it's definitely not worth changing hotels. I spent 6 nights at the Granvia in Kyoto a few years ago and would rather stay in a new city.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond, SPG Plat, Accor Gold
I'd suggest you not stay at the Westin, service isn't so good since it is a franchised hotel. In addition, the club lounge during the happy hour doesn't have much food at all and you are not allowed to help yourself to any of the food available. (they will serve you a bit of everything, like salad, 2 prawns, 2 slice of ham, etc)

On the other hand, I enjoyed myself at the St Regis Osaka. Haven't tried the sheraton so I can't comment on that...
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You might want to check which properties offer (free) shuttle service to/from Osaka Station for guests (and sometimes customers of the hotel's restaurants).

It's not Starwood, but I've enjoyed staying at the Imperial in Osaka, which is the sister hotel of the iconic Tokyo property of the same name, but much less expensive. The views of trees from rooms I've had have been fantastic; the hotel is located along the river and some rooms have views of Osaka Castle and park in the distance. Downside is the high fee to use the wonderful attached private health club and long tiled lap pool; facilities include some golf simulators and relatively fancy locker rooms, etc.

ADDED. Remember that you usually don't earn points or stay/nights credits or get any SPG benefits on consolidator rates.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:24 pm

Avoid Westin Osaka. You only need to go to Umeda Observation Deck once and that's where Westin located (nearby). The location is so bad there's nothing at night or day besides business park.

I like St Regis Osaka for its room but lack of jacuzzi or pool for Japanese hotel is shocking. How can they not build one since this is a brand new building?

I stay at Sheraton Osaka for its ease to transfer to other cities (like Kobe/Nara) among these three starwood hotels.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
st.regis is the best for sure.

believe me.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the help. SPG will match the consolidators rate (they have already confirmed this).

I know there is nothing to do right near the westin, however i'm split between that and the Sheraton location wise. Sheraton will have restaurants and such nearby, however for trips out of osaka (Kyoto, Mt. Koya, maybe Himeji...if anyone can suggest fall foliage spots it would be great), the Westin will be much easier. The Sheraton is on a line to Nara, which is a place I don't plan go to this time. About how much is a taxi from the Sheraton to Namba or the main Osaka station?

The St. Regis looks lovely but I can't justify an extra $700 on it since on this trip, we're just using the hotel to sleep. if i was going to a resort...it would be another story...
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:26 am

I went to Kyoto to see the foliage last December, it was very easy transfer (to me at least) and I will be going there again later this year.

One thing I like about Sheraton is that they have some cheap and authentic restaurants nearby (and open 24 hours too). There's also an onsen place in the nearby Tsuruhashi Station (about 10-15 mins walk) which I do go every night after all days of sightseeing. Sheraton is very easy to go to Kobe too, which you should not miss.

St Regis is nice. Its very upscale and luxury feel all over and the Shinsaibashi area have all the upscale shopping to it but it just lacked of the local neighborhood feeling to me. I used to hate sheraton's location but since I have been there few times I actually liked it now.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:57 am

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
I would suggest the St. Regis too.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by scorpio29
Thanks all for the help. SPG will match the consolidators rate (they have already confirmed this).

I know there is nothing to do right near the westin, however i'm split between that and the Sheraton location wise. Sheraton will have restaurants and such nearby, however for trips out of osaka (Kyoto, Mt. Koya, maybe Himeji...if anyone can suggest fall foliage spots it would be great), the Westin will be much easier. The Sheraton is on a line to Nara, which is a place I don't plan go to this time. About how much is a taxi from the Sheraton to Namba or the main Osaka station?

The St. Regis looks lovely but I can't justify an extra $700 on it since on this trip, we're just using the hotel to sleep. if i was going to a resort...it would be another story...
As I mentioned i my earlier post in this thread, many of the Osaka hotels run free small shuttle buses to and from Osaka station for guests. Check whether the hotels you're considering provide this service. You might also want to check whether you make reservations for particular shuttle runs or whether it's offered on a first-come-first-served basis as these things can be popular, especially if the hotel lets people use the shuttle when they eat in a restaurant in the hotel versus being exclusively for overnight guests.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:23 am

I was very happy with my stay as Gold at the Sheraton Osaka with professional service and the check in was inside my upgraded room.
Also the prices are well below the other mentioned hotels.
So go ahead for the Sheraton on my opinion,they also have a very reasonable airport shuttle.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the help. So unles I get a better corporate through a colleague of mine, I picked the Sheraton. Can't argue with a non-smoking King bed for $135 a night....when searching, most other hotels in this price range were for single or double beds. It looks like i will take a bit longer and be a bit more effor to take trips than from the Westin, but the area around the Westin just seemed so dead to me.
I'll start a thread elsewhere for itinerary ideas
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Sheraton is in a very handy location for the station and the airport including ITM (it's in the same building) and there is also a department store.

There isn't *that* much around Sheraton but as I am only there for 1 day and it involves arriving at ITM and departing on a train that operates from there the next day, I have chosen Sheraton.

I am interested in the location of St Regis for my next stay which may be a bit longer though. I know Westin's location isn't great, but is St Regis better for public transport and other various things like shopping and eating out?

By the way, I remember the lounge at Sheraton is closed on weekend and you are given a breakfast voucher instead if you are Platinum. Could someone confirm?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.