Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Can starwood employees file complaints against customers?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can starwood employees file complaints against customers?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by FD1971
There is no way to figure out whether standard suites are available from the website, therefore the FD manager was probably right, calling him a liar is completely uncalled for.
A quick check of this property's master thread will clearly show that the front desk staff at this W have a history of 1) not applying suite upgrades per the T&Cs and 2) being abrasive with customers. I certainly don't think it's a stretch at all for the OP to report as such.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
The nerve of some people.

Really? You didn't get your suite? POOR YOU, OH WHOA IS ME!

Seriously? Be happy with what they give you.
I'd highly recommend you keep this attitude in the future...more suites for the rest of us!
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
The nerve of some people.

Really? You didn't get your suite? POOR YOU, OH WHOA IS ME!

Seriously? Be happy with what they give you.
Platinum Benefit - https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...preferred.html

As a Platinum member, you’ll receive all the benefits of Preferred, plus much more:

Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by vandalby
I'd highly recommend you keep this attitude in the future...more suites for the rest of us!
Agreed!
Old Aug 4, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by rooivalk
Upgrades are to be applied at check-in so if it was indeed pre-blocked for another Plat member, he had the right to request the suite at the other Plat member's loss.
Anyone has the right to ask ANYTHING, but the hotel is well within their rights to refuse to do what you outline above.

If upgraded rooms have been pre-assigned to guests arriving later, then they are often (but not always) taken out of sellable inventory. At this point, they are not available to be assigned to any other guest.

Your statement is akin to advising me that I have the right to ask the police officer not to ticket me for driving 90 miles down Main St -- but, the cop surely has a right to ticket me nonetheless.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by jammanxc
Platinum Benefit - https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...preferred.html

As a Platinum member, you’ll receive all the benefits of Preferred, plus much more:

Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites.
I get it. But once you're told that you're not getting an upgrade, accept it. Don't try to undermine the management. If you want a suite, pay for one.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by 2ndTOTY
Also, I'll note that before corporate got involved the FD manager's story was that the suite had been withheld for "revenue purposes" because "they're running a business" (news to me--I thought Starwood was a charity...) so this wasn't an issue of me taking an upgrade from another plat.
I think this is very important post. if the FD manager clearly stated that a standard suite was available but is holding it for revenue purposes then this is a clear violation of SPG T&C. OP should file a complain and should get compensated.

on the other hand if the OP miss interpret the FD manager words then called him a liar I guess OP will hear from Starwood if the FD manager filed something against him/her

did you file a complain against the property? keep us posted
Old Aug 4, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
There's no reason a 5* hotel should shaft its best customers and then threaten them like this. The reason I left SPG plat was because I felt most hotels were constantly nickel and diming me. I saw this even in Asian hotels, whereas other chains meet and often exceed my expectations.

There must be some nuance in SPG's relationship or management of its individual properties that causes such incompetent customer relations. For these reasons, SPG hotels are not "luxury," even if they have all the other bells and whistles.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 1:52 pm

Lots of hotels across many brands, and even individual desk clerks, don't like "giving away" free upgrades. Not just suite upgrades. Even if it is just a better room within a given class, many desk people make no effort at all if you don't ask. They will randomly assign you the room next to the elevator when there are plenty of better rooms available. Or not so randomly having a bad day and wishing to share it.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Lots of hotels across many brands, and even individual desk clerks, don't like "giving away" free upgrades. Not just suite upgrades. Even if it is just a better room within a given class, many desk people make no effort at all if you don't ask. They will randomly assign you the room next to the elevator when there are plenty of better rooms available. Or not so randomly having a bad day and wishing to share it.
that's true. As I checked out of a SPG property recently, I overheard a FDA say to the Bellman "which room should I pre-assign XXXX guest? I'll let you decide their fate..."

let's just say I was appalled when I saw this....
Old Aug 4, 2012, 3:45 pm
Suspended

I get it. But once you're told that you're not getting an upgrade, accept it. Don't try to undermine the management. If you want a suite, pay for one.
I usually could care less if I get a suite upgrade, however, if I am traveling with my gf or if I know I might be able to use the suite for a business meeting I will ask if the suite isn't offered. I wait of course to see if I've been upgraded first to a suite. If I haven't, I then just nicely say, normally I wouldn't care about a suite, however, "xxxx." I probably only do this 2-3 times a year or maybe over the past two years, and each time after checking with a manager I've gotten a suite - in HKG twice very nice harbor view suites.

Absolutely no reason not to press the issue in a polite way. That said, the hotels I've stayed at were very nice to me. However, it sounds like the W Lex has issues.

Of course, your post was embarrassing as well.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I've got a much more effective strategy for this hotel: I won't stay there. Double upgrade from Cozy (is that to Wonderful or Spectacular?) and you find yourself in a very uncomfortably small room. Why bother with the desperate need for a suite at this hotel when you can get decent rooms elsewhere?
Old Aug 4, 2012, 4:48 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Cool

Absolutely. Once you are lied to, it's best to walk away tail tucked between your legs. Always take the FD at their word. They would never try to game the system.

Be happy your room has a bed (maybe a door, but dont be picky here, you're only Plat and not super duper Plat) and then say "Thank you, may I have another?"

Lastly, if you are not given benefits you are entitled to, remember that one should always book suites (and first class for that matter) because published benefits should never be expected. They are for "entertainment purposes only."
Old Aug 4, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I had a less than pleasant interaction with the front desk manager at the W Lex last night and it culminated with him threatening to report me to corporate. Throughout my many many stays with Starwood, I've never come across this situation so just wanted to check what this guy could possible be talking about. I assume it's just bluster but it made me seriously uncomfortable--am I going to have to stay in a cozy room for good?!!
I doubt you get put on a "Do Not Let Sleep Here" list just for filing an isolated complaint. If you feel like you were threatened (as opposed to being told no), I would even suggest you should contact corporate and present it as a misconduct complaint and leave the suite thing out of it.

The rest of the thread boils down to the nebulous nature of who if anybody gets comped suite upgrades, and is hardly exclusive to SPG. Back in my always travel days I would get them most frequently at Sheraton, but almost all at the same hotel I was a very regular at. I caught on to that and concentrated stays at the same four hotels depending on where I was at. When you stay at the same place enough you get to be friends with the staff. They will let their guard down, do you a few favors because you are a friend, and talk about work.

They all said their first priority in upgrades were the repeat guests at that hotel and pre-blocked suites accordingly. Their biggest frustration were first-time elites that wanted freebies, especially when they were down to the last few upgrades (because they had been and would be scolded by corporate if they didn't have one left at 10:30 to sell to the walk-in Kryptonite-level guest whose plane was rerouted by weather).

I'd really love it if SPG would give you a really definitive statement on upgrade priorities but I doubt it happens.

Last edited by jayer; Aug 4, 2012 at 6:37 pm
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:47 pm

I had a less than pleasant interaction with the front desk manager at the W Lex last night and it culminated with him threatening to report me to corporate. Throughout my many many stays with Starwood, I've never come across this situation so just wanted to check what this guy could possible be talking about. I assume it's just bluster but it made me seriously uncomfortable--am I going to have to stay in a cozy room for good?!!
I suppose an employee could 'report' a customer who is acting out of line; just as a customer can 'report' an employee for acting out of line. From the sounds of it - granted we're only hearing your side - I would report this employee if I were you. It may be my objectivity is clouded, however, since I, too, have not had great experience with this property, in terms of rude service, poor service, and yes, they really do have the tiniest rooms I have ever stayed in. All reasons why I stopped staying there regularly.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.