Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Question about gold status with Canadian Amex SPG Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys I plan to apply a Canadian Amex SPG credit card and have a couple questions about the gold status qualification. If you can help that would be great.

I read the requirement is to spend $30,000 in one year. My question is, does this one year time frame starts from the day I activate the card or the day the card application gets approved?

And is the gold status effective from the date that I reach $30,000 spending? My understanding is, for example, if my spending reaches this amount in February 2013, then the gold status is effective from February to December of 2013 plus the entire year of 2014. Is this correct?
Old Jul 2, 2012, 12:25 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
$30K is a rolling year that starts when your app is approved. I don't know whether it's the instant (or next billing cycle) when you hit $30K or it's end-of-year tally. Considering everyone has a different rolling year and you get the sign up bonuses once you hit the right thresholds, my guess is that it's probably the next billing cycle.

Once you get Gold status, SPG rules kick in. I can't remember what they are but you may be correct.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply. Seems I'd better also call Amex first to figure out.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
SPG Gold is nice with the SPG Amex after 30K spent, however for some reason, I got the runaround from both SPG and Amex, each one said contact the other for the upgrade!? Interestingly, it was the only time I had an issue with Amex customer service since having the card. SPG even asked me to fax them the last statement of my SPG Amex to see the spent amount. Please transfer me to your supervisor! One person was not even aware there was a SPG credit card with Amex!?!?! Why is there employees who are not familiar with the product they represent??? It was finally done after 5 or 6 calls altogether.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Jul 2, 2012 at 9:34 pm
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
SPG Gold is nice with the SPG Amex after 30K spent, however for some reason, I got the runaround from both SPG and Amex, each one said contact the other for the upgrade!? Interestingly, it was the only time I had an issue with Amex customer service since having the card. SPG even asked me to fax them the last statement of my SPG Amex to see the spent amount. Please transfer me to your supervisor! One person was not even aware there was a SPG credit card with Amex!?!?! Why is there employees who are not familiar with the product they represent??? It was finally done after 5 or 6 calls altogether.
Hi NBSPGMEMBER, sorry to hear the issues you got into and glad you got it settled. So do you think if one is eligible for gold status right after hitting $30,000 spending, or has to wait until the end of the card usage year (renew date)?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 5:48 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
It happens pretty soon after you hit the $30,000 spend. Not sure about exact tiing, but you don't have to wait until the end of the year.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by wpower6
Hi NBSPGMEMBER, sorry to hear the issues you got into and glad you got it settled. So do you think if one is eligible for gold status right after hitting $30,000 spending, or has to wait until the end of the card usage year (renew date)?
Like I said I had trouble getting it, but after some help from SPG, they are the one who took care of it. It was done a couple of days after I hit 30K. Just call SPG and hopefully you will get someone good!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allbrosca
It happens pretty soon after you hit the $30,000 spend. Not sure about exact tiing, but you don't have to wait until the end of the year.
Sounds cool. Thank you.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

A couple days is good enough. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.