Vancouver - Westin grand or westin bayshore?

Old Dec 19, 12, 4:03 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AC Altitude50
I like both hotels.
In the summertime, I would choose the Bayshore for the reasons previously stated. Fantastic location to really experience what Vancouver is about.
The view of the mountains and harbour is beautiful. If you are a Platinum member it is worth choosing the continental breakfast option and upgrading to the incredibly varied and delicious buffet (My favourite hotel buffet in Canada).
The shopping district is not very far.
In the winter I would choose the Grand.
Either way you can't make a bad choice.
Old Dec 19, 12, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt, AA, HH Gold, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by canalskater View Post
I like both hotels.
In the summertime, I would choose the Bayshore for the reasons previously stated. Fantastic location to really experience what Vancouver is about.
The view of the mountains and harbour is beautiful. If you are a Platinum member it is worth choosing the continental breakfast option and upgrading to the incredibly varied and delicious buffet (My favourite hotel buffet in Canada).
The shopping district is not very far.
In the winter I would choose the Grand.
Either way you can't make a bad choice.
Agree. End of July should be beautiful. There are lots of places to rent bikes on Denman street and the Westin provides a room in the parking structure to lock them up overnight.
Old Dec 20, 12, 2:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, AS MVP75k, Nat'l Executive, and oh yea..Can't forget my UA, MR and UR collections
BAYSHORE

I don't like the attitude at the Grand. Just my $0.02
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Dec 20, 12, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by Braindrain View Post
Another option that you might consider is Wall Centre (Sheraton, not Westin). The North Tower is the nicer one. It's not as accessible by Skytrain but is in a good location.
+1

Strongly recommend Sheraton over Westin.
Old Dec 20, 12, 7:03 am

Programs: MBV LTT, Accor Plat, HH Gold, A3 Gold
As residents of a Vancouver suburb, my wife and I stay downtown a few times a year. Our choice wold be Westin Grand first, Sheraton Wall Centre second, and Bayshore last, based primarily on location.

We don't find much difference in room quality, and Plat upgrades are pretty easy at all the properties. The Bayshore is fine if the mountain view and proximity to Stanley Park are most important. However, the other two are definitely better for walking to restaurants and shopping.

A popular local area for dining is Yaletown. That is on the opposite side of town from the Bayshore, but close to both the Grand and Wall Centre.

In summer, you can walk to the beach, sea wall and English Bay from all locations easily. For us, that is the real joy of being downtown in summer - strolling the length and breadthbofnthe city. You can also rent bikes in multiple locations and go all around the sea wall.
Old Dec 23, 12, 11:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K Elite, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I've stayed at the Sheraton Wall Centre, the Grand and the Bayshore. For views, unless you're in a corner suite at the Wall Centre, the Bayshore wins. For location, the Westin Grand wins hands down, with all varieties of shops and amenities at your doorstep. The Grand also has an outdoor hot tub, which I like. For hotel layout, you walk miles to get to the pool at the Wall Centre and miles to get to anywhere at the Bayshore, so the Grand wins for that. The big drawback for me at the Grand was the elevators - you spend a lifetime waiting for them, especially on a high floor.
Old Dec 23, 12, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, QF Lifetime Gold, SPG Plat (Lifetime Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Having just stayed at the Weston Grand and the Sheraton, I can say the Westin Grand wins hands down. It is a very nice boutique hotel with just 209 rooms. The decor is nice, the location is ideal. The food is excellent. Avoid room 3100 (top floor) due to noise from the elevatormachinery on the roof)The service is terrific. Sort of like a W with the W-like tones. The Sheraton is a large convention hotel. We had to wait inordinate amounts of time for basic services. The hotel is understaffed. Even the breakfast was full (plenty of tables, too few waitresses). We were given $15 vouchers (each) for breakfast and $15 each for hors d'oruvres in the bar loung because the club lounbge was closed due to a water break). I would bever stay at the Sheraton again and would look forward to the Westin. We didn't stay at the Bayshore, so no comment on that (it is winter).
Old Dec 26, 12, 11:15 am

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
A quick update on the Westin Bayshore - even though it's not noted on their website (at least not that I was able to find), they are undergoing some renovations at present. They have the Tower Lobby mostly blocked off, and are also renovating at least some of the rooms this winter. We had construction noise in our room before 7:30am -including on the weekend - so it might pay to check with the hotel about their renovation schedule before booking.
Old Jan 18, 19, 7:55 pm
uxb

Programs: AS (MVPG), BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,55MM), WN
Any recent thoughts on this? Most of the information on this thread and the individual property threads are years old.
Old Jan 19, 19, 2:10 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uxb View Post
Any recent thoughts on this? Most of the information on this thread and the individual property threads are years old.
Impossible. IIRC there is a collective thread for all Vancouver hotels and I remember I've written something about three SPG properties (including these two) last year.

IMHO you should do Sheraton Wall Center (great lounge) or Westin Bayshore. I'm not keen on the Westin Grand (no lounge, breakfast sucks, service sucks) but that's just my personal opinion. The Delta Suites are great though! You'll find some who also like the Marriott Pinnacle but I had a look at their rooms and wasn't a fan.
Old Jan 19, 19, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX View Post
Impossible. IIRC there is a collective thread for all Vancouver hotels and I remember I've written something about three SPG properties (including these two) last year.

IMHO you should do Sheraton Wall Center (great lounge) or Westin Bayshore. I'm not keen on the Westin Grand (no lounge, breakfast sucks, service sucks) but that's just my personal opinion. The Delta Suites are great though! You'll find some who also like the Marriott Pinnacle but I had a look at their rooms and wasn't a fan.
After just returning from an extremely disappointing stay at the Westin Grande due to a massive housekeeping issue I would not recommend it. I did check out The Douglas while there and what an absolutely fantastic property. A good contact point there is a girl by the name of Jessica in Concierge Services who showed me around the property and has been onsite before opening. They try go above and beyond for Elite guests also from what I was told. I was always a fan of the Grande but alas she's no Grande anymore which is a shame.
Old Jan 19, 19, 7:24 am
uxb

Programs: AS (MVPG), BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,55MM), WN
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX View Post

Originally Posted by IrishStephen View Post
After just returning from an extremely disappointing stay at the Westin Grande due to a massive housekeeping issue I would not recommend it. I did check out The Douglas while there and what an absolutely fantastic property. A good contact point there is a girl by the name of Jessica in Concierge Services who showed me around the property and has been onsite before opening. They try go above and beyond for Elite guests also from what I was told. I was always a fan of the Grande but alas she's no Grande anymore which is a shame.
Thanks for the input. I had a bit of a fiasco occur when booking LNFs at both properties. I now have valid ones for both, but must decide where we are staying. In my case, pro for Grand is the fact that we have a suite for all nights; however, pro for the Bayshore is the rate - an impossibly low CA$119,-. I understand that neither property has a lounge. That's a brand standard AFAIK. However, cleanliness is something that I prioritise first and foremost, so is the Grand that bad? I am kinda shocked if so... Cat 6 property and all. I have stayed at the Sheraton Wall and had cleanliness issues there. The lounge was nice, and the location was fine, but the PLT treatment was forgettable.
Old Jan 22, 19, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Originally Posted by uxb View Post
Thanks for the input. I had a bit of a fiasco occur when booking LNFs at both properties. I now have valid ones for both, but must decide where we are staying. In my case, pro for Grand is the fact that we have a suite for all nights; however, pro for the Bayshore is the rate - an impossibly low CA$119,-. I understand that neither property has a lounge. That's a brand standard AFAIK. However, cleanliness is something that I prioritise first and foremost, so is the Grand that bad? I am kinda shocked if so... Cat 6 property and all. I have stayed at the Sheraton Wall and had cleanliness issues there. The lounge was nice, and the location was fine, but the PLT treatment was forgettable.
The issue I had at the Grande was I would hope a one time thing without going into details but obviously it made me rethink further stays. However the hotel did reach out to me again after I completed a survey sent to me and I felt a little more at ease it was something that was highly unusual and have agreed to try the property once again when I am in the area next time.
Old Jan 23, 19, 5:35 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I stayed in The Westin Grand, The Sheraton Wall Center, and The Westin Bayshore.

They all have their strengths in different areas.

The Westin Bayshore has the most relaxing location - a view of the harbor and overlook Stanley Park (one of the crown jewels in Vancouver). The building and rooms are old compared to the other Westin.

The Westin Grand is an all suite hotel. It's in downtown and closest to a skytrain (subway) station. Rooms have a small kitchen and it feels like a modernist downtown apartment.

Sheraton Wall Center is also in downtown - further from a skytrain station (but not as far as Westin Bayshore) but it has a lounge, a potential good view of English Bay in certain rooms on higher floors. It's next to a movie theater and very close to the night club street of Granville and the more homosexual night club street of Davie.