Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Anyone notice the W logo in Apple's Passbook announcement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

I missed it (too focused on Starbucks & United) but this might be even more exciting as this could open the door for a lot of uses while on property... room key or not.

Passbook is a digital wallet of sorts. The app will store and organize your boarding passes, frequent customer cards, gift cards, and movie tickets. United, Target, Fandango, Amtrak, Starbucks, W Hotels appear to be early partners. And there is even a cute little shred animation when you delete a card.
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/06/...-in-one-place/

Thoughts?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
Yeah noticed it too. I'm loving it!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
nice catch, and Target too!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
so they took apps that already exist and just combined them into one, taking credit for some new idea. nice, apple...
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: SPG Plat US G Delta G
Originally Posted by mrredskin
so they took apps that already exist and just combined them into one, taking credit for some new idea. nice, apple...
well im curious as to how this is going to work. the whole thing seems strange considering that spg must have just spent a fair amount of cash developing their new iphone app.

i realize that w hotels is a separate 'brand' but stay details for w bookings would still show up in the spg app.

furthermore, there is a lot more functionality to individual retailer apps than storing boarding passes and electronic room keys (which don't even exist yet). So what is the advantage to abandoning a proprietor app to this passbook? Or apple removes the apple signature from the individual apps making them unusable.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
The advantage of using passbook are quickness and ease. Once you get close to the movie theater lets say, the screen will automatically load your ticket to scan at the theater. The same would be true with a boarding pass or a hotel key. Instead of digging through your pocket or wallet, you just unlock your phone and there it is. To me I always have a difficult time with getting the key out of my wallet as my wallet is a bit odd. I personally like the concept and can't wait to see it implemented.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
I saw it but then wondered what should we do with it. I doubt if flashing my phone will enable me to check into the hotel faster than with a drivers licence and credit card.

Now give me a NFC equipped phone that I can use to gain entry into my hotel room directly and you've got my attention.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:50 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by tony2x
I saw it but then wondered what should we do with it. I doubt if flashing my phone will enable me to check into the hotel faster than with a drivers licence and credit card.

Now give me a NFC equipped phone that I can use to gain entry into my hotel room directly and you've got my attention.
You mean like the Smart Check-in Program?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...d-program.html
Old Jun 13, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: SPG Plat US G Delta G
Originally Posted by nevansm
The advantage of using passbook are quickness and ease. Once you get close to the movie theater lets say, the screen will automatically load your ticket to scan at the theater. The same would be true with a boarding pass or a hotel key. Instead of digging through your pocket or wallet, you just unlock your phone and there it is. To me I always have a difficult time with getting the key out of my wallet as my wallet is a bit odd. I personally like the concept and can't wait to see it implemented.
all for iphone boarding passes/tickets/keys...

what i think is quite bad is integrating this all into one app.

will i be able to book hotels with this thing? check flight status? if not, then i still have to go to the spg app or the delta app to do these things. there is simply zero advantage to going to more than one place.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:42 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by pyite
all for iphone boarding passes/tickets/keys...

what i think is quite bad is integrating this all into one app.

will i be able to book hotels with this thing? check flight status? if not, then i still have to go to the spg app or the delta app to do these things. there is simply zero advantage to going to more than one place.
When I want to check the details of my itinerary I go to TripIt. I don't need to go to every airline and hotel and rental car app. This puts all of your confirmed reservations/bookings/tickets in one place. As the video of this shows these are "live" tickets. So yes, it will tell you that there is a change of the flight time or the gate number. Just like TripIt does. I see a huge advantage.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PTahCha
You mean like the Smart Check-in Program?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...d-program.html
Kinda. Smart Check in uses a NFC card, I'd like to use the NFC chip that is built into my phone.

The use case would be this...

1. Book room with SPG app
2. Check in with SPG app
3. Use SPG app (or Passbook or Wallet or whathaveyou) to code my NFC to unlock that door.

One less card to carry, faster check in and i'd be unlikely to lose my 'room key'.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 5:03 am

Programs: LH:SEN; HH:Diamond; SGP:Platinum; PC:Gold
On Apple's website there is an iPhone screenshot with Platinum SPG card added to Passbook:

I'm able to see my SPG card inside of SPG's iPhone app, but I have no idea how to add my SPG card to Passbook. Have anyone been able to add SPG card to the Passbook app on iPhone as it is shown on the photo above?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by bartek
I'm able to see my SPG card inside of SPG's iPhone app, but I have no idea how to add my SPG card to Passbook. Have anyone been able to add SPG card to the Passbook app on iPhone as it is shown on the photo above?
As far as I can tell, not yet. The version of the current SPG app is 3.1.1 and I just checked in iTunes and that's the latest one. Even though it was updated yesterday there's no support for the iFone 5 tall-boy and no apparent Passbook integration yet.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: LH Sen, SPG Platinium, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by born sleepy
As far as I can tell, not yet. The version of the current SPG app is 3.1.1 and I just checked in iTunes and that's the latest one. Even though it was updated yesterday there's no support for the iFone 5 tall-boy and no apparent Passbook integration yet.
They tweeted the last days that they are still working on it...
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by pyite
i realize that w hotels is a separate 'brand' but stay details for w bookings would still show up in the spg app.
...but maybe in Passbook they wouldn't automatically delete the day you're supposed to check in!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.