Youngest Lifetime Platinum/Gold?

Old Jun 13, 12, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by edscholl View Post
mid 30s and married (i'm there now) is a lot different than early-mid 20s and single.
fair enough....
Old Jun 13, 12, 7:05 pm
uxb

Programs: AS (MVP), BA, DL, HH (G), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,55MM), WN
I'm 29 for a few more weeks. Five years of Plat. Fast approaching 250 nights. Fortunately, all I have to do is five more years at 50 nights to be LT PLT. I'll pace myself.
Old Jun 13, 12, 9:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by uxb View Post
I'm 29 for a few more weeks. Five years of Plat. Fast approaching 250 nights. Fortunately, all I have to do is five more years at 50 nights to be LT PLT. I'll pace myself.
Same here, 29, Five years of Plat wth 300 nights, only need 5 more years of being plat. I won't be the youngest, but if I had it my way, I'll make my daughter (who is about to be born) an spg member on her first day, Then she will be the youngest plat in 10 years. I just need to find a country that is ok with having a baby as the main guest.
Old Jun 13, 12, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
Apologies if this has been posted before, however, I'm curious - what is the age of the youngest Lifetime Plat/Gold out there?

I'm 27 and 40 nights away from Lifetime Platinum (10 years Plat).

Inquiring minds want to know...
Congrats on your upcoming achievement. I started traveling big time when I was 25 and have been Platinum every year since then, so you have nearly a decade on me!
Old Jun 16, 12, 2:08 am
uxb

Programs: AS (MVP), BA, DL, HH (G), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,55MM), WN
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83 View Post
Same here, 29, Five years of Plat wth 300 nights, only need 5 more years of being plat. I won't be the youngest, but if I had it my way, I'll make my daughter (who is about to be born) an spg member on her first day, Then she will be the youngest plat in 10 years. I just need to find a country that is ok with having a baby as the main guest.
Hah! Ridiculous! I'll make my kids (if I ever have any) work for their status, so they know what an MR at Four Points LAX is like.

And congrats, btw.

Last edited by uxb; Jun 16, 12 at 2:14 am
Old Aug 3, 12, 11:31 pm
cxn

I know I am not the youngest but it took me 11 years once I started to focus most of my stays at Starwood Hotels. Of course, they have me down as a member since 1999 but I would always sign up for the programs when I stayed at a hotel.

In those 11 years I was able to get lifetime Plat at Starwood, Lifetime Plat on AA (if they last that long) and lifetime Qantas Club membership.

And I expect to live at least another 40 years!

As others have put, traveling for work/pleasure is part of life. If it is all about work then you are doing something wrong.

If you can and want to make lifetime Platinum in your 20s, go for it. I personally spent my 20s staying at youth hostels and budget motels/hotels around the world. I wouldnt trade my dorm room stays at a youth hostel in Prague in my 20s for a night a the Four Seasons. Met many more interesting and fun people that way.
Old Aug 3, 12, 11:43 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Four Seasons/Belmond Paid Guest
I'm 37, and now 63 nights away from Lifetime Platinum. Most of the 12 years I've been Platinum award nights didn't count. Otherwise I'd likely be lifetime Platinum twice. I think I will have it by next summer, so 38 years old.
Old Aug 5, 12, 3:56 pm

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat
Originally Posted by cxn View Post
If you can and want to make lifetime Platinum in your 20s, go for it. I personally spent my 20s staying at youth hostels and budget motels/hotels around the world. I wouldnt trade my dorm room stays at a youth hostel in Prague in my 20s for a night a the Four Seasons. Met many more interesting and fun people that way.
Good for you!

Still in my 20s and often have to live at youth hostels when on my own dime. Though I'm the lazy type and would jump on FS over youth hostels any day .
Old Jul 19, 17, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, MR Plat Prem + (LTPP) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
fair enough....
Just hit it at 30 years and 29 days!
Old Jul 19, 17, 2:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I'm 31, but need 3 more years of Plat. Though it's all moot because I hit Marriott LT platinum last year before my birthday. Now at 816 nights and 2.5M points. Congrats to those that have it with SPG though, that's some long years.
Old Jul 19, 17, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when did SPG start counting 3 rooms (1000/3 = 333) per night, awards, and groups? can add up fast, vs the 10 year requirement.

especially award nights via credit card spend.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 23, 17 at 9:12 am
Old Jul 19, 17, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; QR Plat
Im 35.

450 nights, 8 years Plat. All on my own dime.

Hope to score lifetime platinum before MaRiot ruins it all.
Old Jul 19, 17, 7:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Hit Lifetime Platinum at 32 here. All leisure stays.
Old Jul 20, 17, 1:07 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by edscholl View Post
Pssshaww. Me thinks you're looking at this from the perspective of an old-fogey business traveler (meant in a perfectly nice way). I did a lot of traveling in my early career- ~23-25yrs old. Made a lot of friends during that time, and while we worked a lot of long hours, we also had a lot of fun; there were a lot of nights of minimal sleep, but getting paid to fly all over the country, staying at nice hotels, with an expense account is not exactly a rough lifestyle (even counting the long work days) when you're young and single.
Hind·sight is always 20/20. You lived till a "old" age thus the minimal sleep, partying..etc was well worth it for you.

Millennial members here like myself may have underestimated life's risks and over-confident on assumptions.

How do you know if life-time program won't terminate next year? Why would you assume we'll be "grandfathered in" even if it continues? Why would you assume your airlines would be around in 20-30 years and if they merge why would they grandfather your life-time status? Singapore Air killed their life-time status suddenly one year (though they did have grandfather clause).

Maybe I can sleep little and party hard and ignore my Asian flush. We know sleeping little kill brain cells, our style of clubbing and drinking hurt liver (and double whammy if you have Asian Flush), getting high long term damages brains. If I live as long as Flyertalk member edscholl, maybe it's worth the experience. But equally measure is the possibility I won't live as long (or live shorter lives but have bad health) if I did all those reckless activities - liver disease, cancer, STD (aids), early dementia, kidnapped/screwed over by drug traffickers/terrorists - all of them are from "adventitious" and reckless behaviors taken.

In short, sometimes we're making the mistake of assuming these Corporations will continue to be profitable and keep promises (when secretly we know better that don't) and we keep thinking about all the upside of our adventures while on purposely ignore the risks they impose.... and then we regret them if we ended up getting screwed - think Otto Warmbier who came back in Coma from North Korea.

There's nothing worthy of bragging of hitting Life-time at 28 or 25 because it's not a race and we're not competing. The important is how you are successful in enhancing your life (happiness) while you have the status and that is a very individual and personal thing.
Old Jul 20, 17, 2:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
You might as well have said that we should be worried about getting run over by a car tomorrow...

Search this Thread