Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Youngest Lifetime Platinum/Gold?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:53 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't understand how there isn't a floor on the age for lifetime Plat. AFAIK to get night credit, the room must be booked in one's name and paid for by the person. So this would require being old enough to have a credit card and sign contracts, which I assume would be age 18 in most jurisdictions. (In addition, most hotels do not permit minors to check in and stay without adult supervision.) Hence the first year as a SPG member who earned Plat status would seem to be the year the person turned age 18, which should mean that no one can be lifetime Plat before age 26, as the tenth year of earned Plat would therrefore be the year that the person turns 27.

Where is this logic wrong?
You don't need a credit card to stay at a hotel. So it is possible. Just like you can sign up your kid as an additional card holder in many countries.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Duplicate

Last edited by mario33; Jun 7, 2012 at 8:49 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Where is this logic wrong?
500 nights can be achieved in less than 2 years, so it's possible to attain lifetime platinum by 20 not 27.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by mario33
500 nights can be achieved in less than 2 years, so it's possible to attain lifetime platinum by 20 not 27.
Not really, the other condition for attaining lifetime platinum is that you have to be platinum for 10 years.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:05 am

I don't know that I would want to brag getting lifetime status if I was in my 20's or even 30's as all it indicates is that the person has no life so to speak outside of their job. I have never heard anyone say that they wish they had worked harder / longer hours etc at the expense of family; I have heard many people say that they wish that they had woken up earlier and 'smelt the roses' so to speak. Youth only happens once in your life - why would anyone want to waste it in hotel rooms is beyond me.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:53 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cruiser9999
I don't know that I would want to brag getting lifetime status if I was in my 20's or even 30's as all it indicates is that the person has no life so to speak outside of their job. I have never heard anyone say that they wish they had worked harder / longer hours etc at the expense of family; I have heard many people say that they wish that they had woken up earlier and 'smelt the roses' so to speak. Youth only happens once in your life - why would anyone want to waste it in hotel rooms is beyond me.
Well you are assuming he is traveling by himself for work or whatnot and not with family/friends/gf etc. on leisure.

I certainly wouldn't want to worry about hotel status when I was in my 20's, I never even know what it was back then. I was too busy having fun like we all did. However, if I had the funds to rock the world in my 20's (assuming we aren't talking Omaha, Neb/ Fresno, Ca./ etc. as that isn't my idea of rocking the world.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Not really, the other condition for attaining lifetime platinum is that you have to be platinum for 10 years.
You are right, it's 500 nights and 10 years as platinum

So no 20 year life time platinums, it's a bit more exclusive than I thought ....
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mario33
No, lifetime Plat requires ten years as earned Plat AND 500 nights.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cruiser9999
For some professions, traveling a lot early in one's career helps advancement or even is required. Maybe this is what the person wants. Also, it can be easier to travel relatively early in life, before family/age/health/responsibilities intervene.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Let me be clear - I am not bragging. In fact, most elites annoy me.

A check-in agent I know was just making a huge deal out of it so I wanted to ask... she made it sound like 99% of Lifetime Gold/Plat members are businessmen in their 50's.

I travel mostly for work, but I travel a lot for leisure as well due to bein a non-revenue passenger.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:03 pm
ak5

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Plat; SPG Plat; Hertz 5*
For some professions, traveling a lot early in one's career helps advancement or even is required. Maybe this is what the person wants. Also, it can be easier to travel relatively early in life, before family/age/health/responsibilities intervene.
Absolutely agree with this. I initially took a traveling role as it provided the best opportunity for promotion.

While I can't imagine doing this once I have a family, I do think I will look back and appreciate the interesting lifestyle I was able to experience in my early 20's.

...along with all those banked points
Old Jun 8, 2012, 8:56 pm

Location: Laguna Beach, CA; Former DL everything, now AA/AS everything; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; and all that other stuff!!
62 and Lifetime Plat!! Did I win?!?!?: p
Old Jun 9, 2012, 1:45 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Sulley

Not sure what one has to do with the other.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by clublounger
Not sure what one has to do with the other.
i was thinking the exact same thing....
Old Jun 9, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Sulley
Best way to not brag is not start a thread to talk about yourself ^

-Fellow young frequent traveller

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.