Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Properties in NJ with easy access to Manhattan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt

My husband will be working in Newark for the next month, and my son (22 months old) and I plan to come along.

We're looking for properties that offer fast, simple, easy access to Manhattan for the boy and me while still being convenient for my husband to commute to work.

He's currently SPG gold, so, unless I work out a deal with mgmt with our long-term stay, an upgrade to a suite is not likely. When traveling as a family, we do prefer suites with separate rooms so we can be up post-bedtime and also so we can spread out a bit. So we might just pony up for a suite for our stay.

For suite options, the W Hoboken seems like the best bet. Sheraton Lincoln Harbor would be less expensive, but the sleeping area is only separated by a partition.

While this would be an excellent opportunity to rack up a lot of nights and points, we may break down and just get a corporate apartment or vacation rental. But I'm trying to explore all possibilities.

How easy would it be to commute out of Manhattan from the Element and over to Newark? It looks like his client is located close to the Military Park light rail station and about half a mile from Newark Penn Station. Google Maps puts the commute time using transit at between 35 and 40 minutes. Not having to rent a car might make up a little for the difference in price.

Another possibility I'm thinking about is the Affinia Manhattan. Not SPG, but cheaper, and we could at least get points through the Stash rewards program. There are Stash hotels near both sets of our son's grandparents, and we'd earn enough points for a multi-day stay. So that's something to consider.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 23, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
W Hoboken is very nice. Even on its side of the river lots of good dining options.
Their fantastic suite is...well, fantastic Getting to Manhattan is very easy by train.

I used to do something similar by using the Hilton Newark Penn as base. The commute to Manhattan is not bad.
Old May 23, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, CO/UA Gold, Marriott Gold
That was going to be my suggestion. GREAT location on Hudson with city views..2 short blocks to train station with 12 min trips to both Manhattan and Newark...
Old May 23, 2012, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input!

I think what we've decided is to stay at the Affinia Manhattan, which is steps from Penn Station, and my husband will commute to Newark.

I've stayed there before, and it's a nice place in a good location. Apartment style suite with a full kitchen, Whole Foods down the street, transit close, reasonable price for Manhattan, especially for the amount of space.

Not a Starwood property, but it's actually kind of hard to pass up this setup.

The boy and I will be able to tootle around the city easily, and my husband's commute will be about the same as if he were driving, except he won't have to.

And, in a sense, a toddler is a perfect guest of a hotel on 7th Ave, since he will certainly appreciate the sirens.

We may still have to take a ferry boat ride or two across the river anyway, since I think an almost-two-year-old would probably enjoy the experience. I just need to prepare myself for the subsequent, inevitable, repeated requests to ride the ferry boat again that will come night and day. But hey: it'll be a change over the current request to go through the car wash that has been ongoing for the past couple of weeks, and the frequent retelling of the chainsaw that cut up the fallen tree across the street a week ago. I think some of you may know what I'm talking about here.
Old May 23, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
The easiest is the Sheraton in Weehawken, NJ (Lincoln Harbor) There is a ferry that runs 7 days a week that will take you to midtown for about $9. The ride is like 6 minutes long and there are free busses once you get to midtown that will drop you at various points south of 57th st. The website for the ferry is www.nywaterway.com

The W in Hoboken is MUCH nicer and is a few blocks walk from the Hoboken PATH train.

The PATH runs 24-7. The Lincoln Harbor ferry shuts down each night around 11pm.

Those are your only options with "easy" access to the city.
Old May 23, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by TommyC80
The easiest is the Sheraton in Weehawken, NJ (Lincoln Harbor) There is a ferry that runs 7 days a week that will take you to midtown for about $9. The ride is like 6 minutes long and there are free busses once you get to midtown that will drop you at various points south of 57th st. The website for the ferry is www.nywaterway.com

The W in Hoboken is MUCH nicer and is a few blocks walk from the Hoboken PATH train.

The PATH runs 24-7. The Lincoln Harbor ferry shuts down each night around 11pm.

Those are your only options with "easy" access to the city.
I'm not sure why the Westin Jersey City Newport didn't get mentioned in this thread, but never having stayed there, maybe its further from the PATH train station than it seems.

I've stayed at the nearby Hyatt, and that hotel would give one relatively easy access to either Newark or Manhattan on public transportation.

ExitRowAisle
A Dissatisfied 2nd Class Starwood Platinum Member
Old May 23, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
The Westin Jersey City is only a block away from the Newport PATH station. The W Hoboken is about two blocks down. Both are incredibly convenient, and as others have said you're looking at about a 12-15 minute ride to 33rd street.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K Elite, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Sheraton Meadowlands

My Girlfriend and I just came back from a 3 night stay in Manhattan last week (May 18-20). On the Friday night, we booked a night on SPG points at the Sheraton Meadowlands hotel - just on the Jersey side, near the stadium. We called ahead - they have a FREE shuttle to the Secaucus train station, where you can catch a $4 train ride to Penn Station on Manhattan and go from there to wherever you want in Manhattan by subway. They also offer free parking - I asked if we could park there for the three nights even though we were staying only the Friday night. "No problem" was their response ^ - could have been because I am a platinum, but I don't think so - they seem pretty loose with their parking policy. So, we stayed there Friday night and caught the free shuttle to Secaucus and the train to Manhattan. Total damage for travel both ways for 2 people - $16. Not bad, considering the Westin Times Square was ready to charge me $70/day for Valet parking. We're already planning another trip, and will do it this way again.

Oh, and total travel time from Sheraton Meadowlands to Penn Station via shuttle and then train - 40 minutes.
Old May 24, 2012, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Southstreet. That sounds like it could be a good option for some. In our case, we'd need to put a car seat in every time we used the shuttle -- and then schlep it along with us post-ride. And a 40 minute trip is a bit long for a little fellow. But the value is a good one if you don't have a toddler in tow.

One advantage we thought about to staying in Manhattan vs across the river is that we wouldn't need a car at all, and so that offers some savings. I suppose we could go carless at the W Hoboken, Sheraton Lincoln Harbor or Westin Jersey City, also. But we would pay just as much for a suite there as we would at the Affinia Manhattan -- and we get a kitchen at the Affinia -- and then only one of us is commuting. So in our particular case, it makes more sense.

But I still think this thread is valuable in general for discussing the options across the river. Our particular circumstances are just a little bit unique.
Old May 24, 2012, 3:58 pm

If your husband has never completed a Platinum challenge and he will be staying 18+ nights in June he may want to sign up for it to commence on June 1. If done, I would check out after the the 18th night and go somewhere else for at least one night to start the processing of the completed Challenge/Status Upgrade as I don't think it can begin until after you check out/end the particular stay that earned the 18th night of the challenge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.