Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Annoying failure to put credit card digits on receipt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold

I just checked out of a Sheraton and was annoyed to find that they would not, could not print the last four digits of my credit card number on my folio receipt. I have run into this issue before and maybe this is Starwood policy (the front desk person said it was). I have to turn in receipts for reimbursement and my employer will not accept a receipt that just shows paid in full by Visa; it has to show the last four digits. When it does not, I am forced to supply my entire credit card statement to show my card really was charged. If I don't want to reveal all my other information, I must waste time creating a redacted copy of my credit card statement. I wonder if this issue affects others. It really should be possible to fix this, given that any convenience store can manage to give me a usable receipt that shows this information. We could even choose display preferences within our Starwood accounts if some people don't want their last four digits to print out (though I can't imagine why). Sorry for the rant but this is just such a senseless inconvenience.
Old May 19, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: AlFursan, AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Avios, Bonvoy, All
I normally receive an actual receipt from the PoS terminal used to process the credit card stapled to the folio.

Cheers
Old May 19, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Maykita
I have to turn in receipts for reimbursement and my employer will not accept a receipt that just shows paid in full by Visa; it has to show the last four digits. When it does not, I am forced to supply my entire credit card statement to show my card really was charged.
If this is a company issued Visa and you are required to use this Visa, then I understand your employer's requirement to prove that you used the company card, and your complaint is valid for the hassle. If this is your personal Visa and then you're reimbursed, then I don't understand why your employer needs proof that you used a particular Visa and the problem is with your employer's control issue.

My employer requires us to use corporate AMEX, and if we do not use corporate AMEX, then we must explain and attach receipt. The specific credit card used is then irrelevant.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Here's an easy/quick fix: Add 'Visa xxxx xx xx xx xx 1234' as your second address line. Although most places do not follow the USPS regs for addresses (line immediately above city/state should be street) it should accomplish your needs.
Old May 20, 2012, 1:20 am

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
Great suggestion from RogerD408!

While this is a pain, it is hard to fault the properties. The credit card companies' PCI/DSS regulations allow a partial card number but some properties may be omitting it thinking they are doing the customer a favor by exceeding the standard. It is a bit of a minefield for the merchants right now.

I've run into this too in a few places that didn't take AMEX so I had to use a personal card and I had to sort out which was which.
Old May 20, 2012, 2:49 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Here's an easy/quick fix: Add 'Visa xxxx xx xx xx xx 1234' as your second address line. Although most places do not follow the USPS regs for addresses (line immediately above city/state should be street) it should accomplish your needs.
That is such a brilliant suggestion.........proof of why FT is such a great place to come for advice!
Old May 20, 2012, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks RogerD408 and others!! CIT85, this is a requirement when using my personal credit card, and I have encountered it at other organizations too -- I had the impression it was fairly standard. It is usually no trouble because merchants nearly always include the digits. I switch among cards, so it is not always the same one. That makes the address route hard to do accurately, though a very neat idea, and one I'd never thought of. Jakpot, I will try asking more questions and see if there is something more they can give me; the person yesterday said there was nothing she could provide to show what card I had used. Still hoping the Lurker could pass along this feedback (couldn't it be an option?) but these are great suggestions -- thanks!
Old May 20, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RogerD408
That still doesn't prove you used that credit card to pay the bill!

My employer requires the CC number to be shown as the method of payment, such as:

12-31-2012 PAID BY AX ****1001 $500.00

Anything in the address line is meaningless and any sharp auditor knows that already.
Old May 20, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jakpot
I normally receive an actual receipt from the PoS terminal used to process the credit card stapled to the folio.
I see you are from Paris. Although this is routine practice in most parts of the world, a POS receipt is not something you are likely to see in the USA when you are paying a hotel bill.
Old May 20, 2012, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by DCBob
That still doesn't prove you used that credit card to pay the bill!

My employer requires the CC number to be shown as the method of payment, such as:

12-31-2012 PAID BY AX ****1001 $500.00

Anything in the address line is meaningless and any sharp auditor knows that already.
There will always be people looking for a way to say no, and auditors will usually be first on that list (I used to be an auditor).

My personal pet peeve about company travel is why I must use my personal credit cards to fund this activity? Even the application for the corporate card requires my SSN. Where's the company's obligation here? There are so many other ways to accomplish tracking business expenses.

If your company has reason to believe you are submitting false expense reports then they have the right to terminate, this goes all the way up to the CEO! Is losing your job worth the bucks to be made by phony expense reports?
Old May 20, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC - SE, SPG - Platinum, HGP - Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.391 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Sometimes you need to push back on auditors and company expense employees.

I used to have trouble with submitting the hotel bill placed under my door overnight for reimbursment. Even though it was charged on my corporate AMEX, some finance people would reject due to the receipt not showing paid. A few discussions of wasting my employers and client's time by standing in line to checkout ended that one.

I also had troubles when hotels started emailing final receipts. Some of them looked amateurish and "not original" and would be rejected. It took about 6 months of explanations to make this go away.
Old May 20, 2012, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wolvie007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.391 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Sometimes you need to push back on auditors and company expense employees.

I used to have trouble with submitting the hotel bill placed under my door overnight for reimbursment. Even though it was charged on my corporate AMEX, some finance people would reject due to the receipt not showing paid. A few discussions of wasting my employers and client's time by standing in line to checkout ended that one.

I also had troubles when hotels started emailing final receipts. Some of them looked amateurish and "not original" and would be rejected. It took about 6 months of explanations to make this go away.
I hear you. But pushback would not work in this case, I can assure you, given the level at which the relevant policy is made. It also doesn't seem like a fight I should have to take on. I am truly puzzled why Starwood can't provide this very basic, routine credit card information for stays that bring them hundreds of dollars, when every McDonald's and Starbucks can manage to do so for every $2.00 coffee.
Old May 20, 2012, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
When I check out, I get the itemized hotel statement on hotel stationery plus the credit card receipt from the credit card swipe machine. You could also just include a copy of that, as it will show the name of the hotel plus the last four digits of your credit card.
Old May 20, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I am guessing that any merchant is REQUIRED to provide a receipt showing the entire credit card with all but the last four digits redacted. (That is, something like xxxx xxxx xxxx 1234). No idea how *W can get away with not doing so.
Old May 20, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC

Have you tried printing out individual transactions on your credit card's website? At least with AMEX, when viewing transactions online, you can click "View Details" of a particular transaction and then there's a print button. Alternatively, you can select multiple transactions to print and each prints on a separate page. I often submit these instead of receipts as they're easier to compile.

Last edited by merrickdb; May 21, 2012 at 3:53 pm Reason: Spelling correction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.