Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: "Go Ahead, Be Choosy" -- May-Sept 2012 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: "Go Ahead, Be Choosy" -- May-Sept 2012 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2012, 7:37 am

Also interesting that the "top 3 choices" are now:

29% Triple points
0% Stay 20 nights and receive 25% redemption coupon
0% Stay 4 nights receive $50 Sheraton at home coupon
Old May 1, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: SK*G, TK*G, AB Silver (OW Ruby), SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Last summer we had 1 free resort night per 3 stays, which was clearly tailored for those on frequent short stays. I had ~25 nights with only 3 stays so I reached 1 free resort night. I spent that night in Spain in a beautiful resort and was quite happy with it

This promo now gives the choice and suits many different travel patterns, including mine. If I can do the 25 nights again, I'll be way better off taking any of the options.

I'll do the math later but thanks SPG for a great summer promo! ^
Old May 1, 2012, 7:39 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by neo_781
Does anyone know if the "500 bonus Starpoints per night at Sheraton hotels and resorts" option includes Four Points hotels?
The answer to your question is no. Sheraton properties only.
Old May 1, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Question on Sheraton bonus

I assume for the Sheraton 500pts/night, that any stays booked online before today would still count for the promotion, correct?

All in all, the worst promotion I've ever seen from SPG. No matter what you choose, it's not even close to the promos in the past (2 stays / 1 free night is the one I was hoping for).
Old May 1, 2012, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by uxb
The answer to your question is no. Sheraton properties only.
Can I ask where you found this information?
Old May 1, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Vulcan
Can I ask where you found this information?
Four Points by Sheraton is no more a "Sheraton" than Residence Inn by Marriott is a "Marriott." I would be more than willing to bet good money that Four Points stays do NOT count as Sheraton stays. But let's see if one of the Lurkers can put this one to bed! It really needs to be in the FAQs. Lurkers, please give us a definitive answer.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by neo_781
Does anyone know if the "500 bonus Starpoints per night at Sheraton hotels and resorts" option includes Four Points hotels?
Also, do Cash&Points nights qualify for the 500 bonus Starpoints per night at Sheraton? (The FAQ didn't explictily exclude this like in the other sections).
Old May 1, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by allensun
Also, do Cash&Points nights qualify for the 500 bonus Starpoints per night at Sheraton? (The FAQ didn't explictily exclude this like in the other sections).
No. Look at the Terms & Conditions - not the FAQs:

All above-listed offers are nontransferable and void for Starwood employees. Register online at spg.com/nicechoice by June 30, 2012. Once a member chooses his or her SPG® Nice Choice offer, it cannot be changed at any time. An eligible stay is defined as one or more consecutive nights paying a qualifying rate in the same hotel regardless of the number of check-ins or checkouts that occur and post to the member's Starwood Preferred Guest® account. Eligible stays/nights will be tracked by date member checks in and not the date the member checks out. A qualifying rate is any rate that is eligible to earn Starpoints® in the Starwood Preferred Guest program.

Cash & Points stays don't earn Starpoints on the room rate, so none of the offers apply to those stays. If this were a Hilton promo, the answer would be different!
Old May 1, 2012, 8:25 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
As a leisure traveller, this promo sucks big time

Nothing enticed me really. Would have really liked a FRN or even a FWN but oh well, can't win them all. Might have to visit a few Hilton properties instead, slightly cheaper for the places I need to visit, and I need to make the most of my complimentary HH Diamond status
Old May 1, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Unhappy My .02

It seems this community has always assumed that, while extremely vocal, we represent a small fraction of the overall SPG membership. Perhaps giving away a free night after 2 or 3 stays has cost SPG a lot more than they anticipated. I would imagine their logic was based on 2 or 3 multi-night stays and not on people maximizing returns by finding 2 or 3 one night stays at $75-$100 and then mostly redeeming them at $400/$500+ night locations where the ADR reimbursement from SPG is higher. I know I'm guilty

While certainly disappointing, perhaps the 10 nights for a free night is more in line with what SPG (and Hyatt for that matter) used to estimate for these promos for their break-even calculations. Though restricting them to weekend and Cat 5 or lower is just an unneeded promo devaluation. Had they left it at Cat 6 or at least removed the weekend restriction, I think we would see a much more positive reaction.

With Hyatt's unusual absence of their signature FFN promos, and now SPG deep six'ing the easy free nights, I'm guessing its just indicative of the current times and improved economic outlook for hotels, and as such, they really have no need nor incentive for the overly generous / easy promos

Heck - I miss the days of scoring 2 stays at Hyatt Cleveland for $26 a stay via Priceline, room charging a Coke, getting stay credit, FFN credit, 2000 bonus points and then a free night at the Park Hyatt Paris or Tokyo. Alas, those were the days
Old May 1, 2012, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
This isn't as great as I thought it would be after all the hype

Triple Starpoints for 15 nights is OK I suppose if you are a bona fide business traveller who stays in a lot of SPG hotels, or planning a 2 week summer vacation in an SPG.

Double points after 2nd stay is not bad, but still not that exciting really.

The rest is pretty boring stuff honestly

Also, it looks like the date choice and long registration period means there won't be another promo until October. Boo!
Old May 1, 2012, 8:33 am

I find the wording poor on the triple starpoints promotion. If I were to stay 30 nights, I'll get triple points after the first 15 nights. Then what about the next 15 nights? Do I keep accumulating triple points after each stay of any length?
Old May 1, 2012, 8:34 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
So in essence: Starwood will give me extra points for stays I would have done anyway. No change in behaviour here. Thanks Starwood. ^
Old May 1, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: DL - Diamond, SPG - Platinum, AVIS - First
Originally Posted by vrbaba
I find the wording poor on the triple starpoints promotion. If I were to stay 30 nights, I'll get triple points after the first 15 nights. Then what about the next 15 nights? Do I keep accumulating triple points after each stay of any length?
I dont think the wording is so poor.

Hit a minimum of 15 nights and every single night you stay during that 3 month period will be triple points.
Old May 1, 2012, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Avster
I dont think the wording is so poor.

Hit a minimum of 15 nights and every single night you stay during that 3 month period will be triple points.
Yeah, but seems like it is more of an inference, than a stated fact. It does not state you keep earning the triple points after the bonus posting after 15th night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.