Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: "Go Ahead, Be Choosy" -- May-Sept 2012 [Master Thread]

PROMO: "Go Ahead, Be Choosy" -- May-Sept 2012 [Master Thread]

Old Apr 30, 12, 10:35 pm
uxb

Programs: AS (MVP), BA, DL, HH (G), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,55MM), WN
Looks like the leak was 100% correct. Glad my backing of LovetoTravel83 was well placed.
Old Apr 30, 12, 10:36 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by DBCme View Post
What's worse than this promotion? No promotion. Even if not be as ones past.
What's worse is we're spending time to decide which bad option to take.

If there's no promo, we won't have to spend time worrying about it and can just move on.
Old Apr 30, 12, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Global Services
No need to spend extra $$

In the previous summer promotions, I did paid stays on personal travel instead of cash & points or point redemptions to get the free weekend/resort nights and guided all my stays to SPG even if highly inconvenient / better choices with competitors. With this weak promo, there is no incentive to spend extra on SPG nights. I'll do cash and points whenever possible or redeem points from SPG or other programs instead.

For business I'll mostly keep my planned stays at SPG esp during the promo period but in the gap months maybe opportunistically take advantage of promos with competitors.

I'll probably do ~20 nights during my promo period and am choosing the triple SPG points. Given spend I'll probably get about 20K in points. Could have chosen the 2 FWN but not too excited about free nights restricted to weekends, category 1-5 only, and with a 12/23/12 expiration.
Old Apr 30, 12, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Thumbs down Just Reaching My Minimum

Fingers crossed and praying for the return of Hyatt's FFN (though maybe unlikely, but they would do well given the competition)

For me, I just need 13 more stays / nights to re-qualify for Platinum. I'll get those, as I'm keen on reaching lifetime Platinum, only 3 years to go. But otherwise will move business elsewhere.
Old Apr 30, 12, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier Elite Marriott Gold for life.
Truly pathetic. After all the hype and buildup, this is what we get? Wow.
Old Apr 30, 12, 10:44 pm

Last year I had 6 Free Nights and I earned them during a 4-month time frame. We had a wonderful vacation at Category 6 hotel. I wonder if we will ever see those kinds of promos again.

Please tell me who has the best program among hotel chains this summer?
Old Apr 30, 12, 10:46 pm

Programs: SPG gold lifer
Except for the several months of no promo running, this actually works fine for me... I'll easily do 15 nights so triple starpoints it is.

Clearly SPG's business is picking up to run such a weak promotion for general travellers...
Old Apr 30, 12, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by jtds2713 View Post
Booooooo!!! I hate this promo! There are only Sheratons in the states within my territory. And not a lot of Hyatts either. I registered for the Triple Points for 15 nights since I know I will have more than 15 nights during the 3-month eligibility period. Did I make the right choice? Should I have gone for 500 points per Sheraton stay? I'm already a Platinum member.
I also selected the triple points. I will be staying 24 nights during the promotion period Mostly at St. Regis and Westin's. so triple point is my best option.

in your case you made a good choice unless your sheraton average room rate is less than $70/night
Old Apr 30, 12, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Leumas View Post
What's worse is we're spending time to decide which bad option to take.

If there's no promo, we won't have to spend time worrying about it and can just move on.
Originally Posted by KSA_USA View Post
I also selected the triple points. I will be staying 24 nights during the promotion period Mostly at St. Regis and Westin's. so triple point is my best option.

in your case you made a good choice unless your sheraton average room rate is less than $70/night
I chose the triple points also because I have a choice in the hotels I stay at. In the few states in my territory where there is a Westin or Le Meridien, I am definitely staying there.

I still hope one of the COMPETITOR chains offer the Free Nights. Any chance you guys think this might happen?
Old Apr 30, 12, 11:03 pm

Programs: SPG-PPE+Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-Gold
Is it just me or does being forced to pick a terrible option seem worse than just being given one?
Old Apr 30, 12, 11:04 pm

silly

this whole thing is weird. the decision trees and math and social media running up to it...thanks for offering something, but please don't waste my time making me work out the calendar and sift through options when it's obvious none of the choices is as good as what we're used to for summers. the falloff in quality relative to normal "couple stays =s some type of free night" is severe. for me personally, it's definitely a good reason to shift all business away for a while, i'd rather be at a rc or 4s anyway but i'll cheap out for the chance to get free weekends at princeville and the like, but no longer an incentive. the fact that this is all wrapped in this social media guessing game with live twitter updates about who is picking what is sort of an insult to my intelligence (is the "fun" of all this supposed to eclipse a demonstrably worse offer?)

i guess i'm glad if they're managing to do well enough to under-motivate summer staying but whatever, people have to do what their incentives tell them to do.
Old Apr 30, 12, 11:04 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Quite underwhelming. Generally speaking, I'm pretty positive on SPG but this promo is really, really bad.
Old Apr 30, 12, 11:06 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
wow... the leaks were right on.

I think SPG thought way too much on this one. I also think they put in way too much stock on the "non participating" list, social media, and the whole concept is confusing. Keep it simple... I would MUCH rather have 3-4-5 nights per a free weekend night with a non-participating list than 20 nights for 2 and maybe two other choices.

I have a heavy travel schedule coming up and for the first time this period will not be 100% SPG because of the promotion. I may just go the minimum and collect elsewhere.

As a business traveler, I collect points for one reason... to take the family on vacation. What I see here is a cap on my earning after 2 months. That means from July-Sept, I will not even use SPG. I will collect elsewhere for the first time ever. That's a major bummer for me.

Lastly... if they wanted to use Social Media, they should have added a twist to the promo. Check in on FaceBook or Twitter during your stay and your choice doubles. We would all be checking in like crazy. Even then, the promo is suspect at best.
Old Apr 30, 12, 11:06 pm
uxb

Programs: AS (MVP), BA, DL, HH (G), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,55MM), WN
Clearly, SPG was watching Ghostbusters when they came up with this promo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EbY0vuNt-Q
Old Apr 30, 12, 11:15 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Now I need to do the math.... and dont know how to do it.

1) 3X Points at an average of $150/nt

or

2) 2 FWN nights.

I will do this in 2 months. THe rest will be spent elsewhere.

Search this Thread