Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Next SPG 2012 Promotion (Pre-official-announcement discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next SPG 2012 Promotion (Pre-official-announcement discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Honors Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Lufthansa FT
Double qualifying nights? Come on... if you're not Plat by now, just stay Gold It is nearly one third through the year!!!

Free Weekend nights ANY hotel or Free nights up to Cat 6 please

2nd option: Octaple (?) points on stays of 2 nights or more :P
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:57 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by asnesne
Double qualifying nights? Come on... if you're not Plat by now, just stay Gold It is nearly one third through the year!!!

Free Weekend nights ANY hotel or Free nights up to Cat 6 please

2nd option: Octaple (?) points on stays of 2 nights or more :P
I'll take FWN over double qualifying nights at anytime.

FWN count toward elite qualification, so that means it is both a FWN and double qualifying night.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: Delta, American, United
Next SPG 2012 Promotion

Darn. I wish I could know about all this before my staff and I all booked our 2+weeks of workation already for May with another hotel chain.
Well, I guess there always the summer... Which is when I'm sure this new gig will partake most of its followers massive success.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:29 am

Doesn't matter what the different offers will be. I'm going to choose the option All of the above for the period May to October
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Doesn't matter what the different offers will be. I'm going to choose the option All of the above for the period May to October
Thats a very good plan.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:21 am

William please be nice and post the details of the SPG "nicechoice" promotion by this Friday. Thank you.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
I'd be all in for FWN also with some vacation trips planned in 3rd & 4th quarters this year.

SPG, bring it on..........
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SAN-man
To them, this promotion - any promotion, really - is designed to drive additional spend. Longer stays, more stays, an incremental trip that otherwise wouldn't have happened. Anything that gives Starwood more revenue overall.
I disagree a tad. Surely the whole SPG programme is structured to care not a jot about spend or ARPC it is all about nights. I think that is a big mistake and as someone said on another thread it is commercially naive in that it rewards the wrong behaviours, but most of the recent promos and the whole current SPG structure is driven by nights not revenue. Why would we expect this promo to be any different?

I would actually prefer the promo to be structured around nights so I can meet multiple objectives at minimum spend. As for the "reward" my preference would be points but free nights usable any night would be a good option too.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
^^^ to a truly systemwide promotion.

Also ^ to the concept of personalized choices. I somewhat expect some sort of trade-off - that is, this promotion will have two or three options to pick from, each of which is perhaps slightly less rewarding that whatever your personal favorite all-time SPG promotion was.

In other words, base hits for everybody instead of a home run for some and a strikeout for others.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: US air -chairman, SPG-Plat, Hyatt - Dmnd, Hilton -Dmnd, Hertz - five star
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
which would be very very possible if you travel with a partner/spouse
Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by pinniped
In other words, base hits for everybody instead of a home run for some and a strikeout for others.
I've noticed this, too. Some of the quarterly promotions have had zero value to me. I don't mind, because when there's one which works for me, it's usually great. I concur that base hits all around might be a better approach. Certainly bound to produce less whining for William, et al. to have to read.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT
Free Nights !!!

Free Nights !!! Free Nights !!! Free Nights ...^^..
Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asnesne
First of all, I am Plat, but due to the challenge last year, which I can't repeat this year. So it's not a question of whether I can get to Plat, it's a question of whether I can requalify Plat.

Second, the whole reason I've had very few SPG stays this year is because I can only afford (and even then, only maybe, depending on value of the promos to me) to requalify on (one-night) stays, not nights. And the first promo of the year did zero for one-night stays. So I ignored it and SPG (except for when SPG sent me a targeted promo for 5000 bonus points for my next stay!, plus two stays at the very start of the year which were unusually cheap those nights).

I'm not certain that it's double qualifying stays that I'd choose, but it depends on the other options. I have lots of points in lots of hotel programs, so except for certain specific destinations where the SPG property gets me access of some type (like being inside the national park at Sheraton Igauzu Resort, or one of the best views of Niagara from upper floors on one side of Shertaon On The Falls), I can choose from oodles of points (and some free night certs too) in many other hotel programs, so not all free night promos necessarily are worth it to me (given that SPG properties where I need to stay are more expensive than the other hotel programs I use, including Hilton and Marriott). So it might be more worth it to me to be able to push out my Plat status to another year with just 11 more stays (25-3=22/2=11), rather than having to go to all the places in the world where I need to stay at an SPG and be Plat for it this year.

But again, it all depends on what the other choices are (plus on what SPG hotel rates end up being wherever I end up going this summer).
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
via FB:

Nice news: You know when, so let’s share some SPG Nice Choice promo offer details. You’ll have 11 different options, something for every traveler. Starpoints. Free Nights. Merchandise Discounts. Elite Credit. One option: Double Starpoints beginning with 2nd stay. No limits. Register May 1st at spg.com/nicechoice
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mrredskin
via FB:

Nice news: You know when, so let’s share some SPG Nice Choice promo offer details. You’ll have 11 different options, something for every traveler. Starpoints. Free Nights. Merchandise Discounts. Elite Credit. One option: Double Starpoints beginning with 2nd stay. No limits. Register May 1st at spg.com/nicechoice
Just saw that too. Free Nights is in (^), need to see the qualifying details of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.