Wiki Posts
Search

dog over limit?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2012, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2.2mm), SPG Plat, Accor Plat
dog over limit?

How far do you think one could fudge the weight limit of pets at a hotel? Considering making a reservation at a Sheraton with a 40 lb weight limit for pets. Our pooch is right around 55 lbs.

Do you think it's safe? Or do we run the risk of not being allowed into the hotel?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by jefftf1
How far do you think one could fudge the weight limit of pets at a hotel? Considering making a reservation at a Sheraton with a 40 lb weight limit for pets. Our pooch is right around 55 lbs.

Do you think it's safe? Or do we run the risk of not being allowed into the hotel?
A lot of people on here hate it that you can take dogs to hotels so be prepared for some snide comments.

That said, my dogs are small so I've never had a problem but I think it depends a lot on the breed and who's checking you in. They won't put them on a scale so if you have a well-behaved dog that doesn't look huge I wouldn't worry about it. My guess would be is that they are more concerned about the behavior of a dog so unless your dog looks a lot bigger than 40 pounds or it's behaving badly they probably won't bother you.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:02 pm

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
I don't think anyone's going to weigh your dog. I think, if you walk in with a Great Dane, or a St Bernard, or something rather large that's misbehaving, smelly, scruffy or dribbling, then they will probably exercise their weight policy.

But if he/she is clean, polite and well-groomed, and also doesn't look the size of a small horse, I doubt you will experience any problems....same applies to the pooch!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shantanu
I don't think anyone's going to weigh your dog. I think, if you walk in with a Great Dane, or a St Bernard, or something rather large that's misbehaving, smelly, scruffy or dribbling, then they will probably exercise their weight policy.

But if he/she is clean, polite and well-groomed, and also doesn't look the size of a small horse, I doubt you will experience any problems....same applies to the pooch!
Thanks. That's what I figured. We have a 55 pound pit bull (which if you live outside southern California sounds horrible I'm sure) who is as gentle as a lamb and well behaved. I think we're gonna give it a go.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SkyMiles, OnePass
It depends on the height of your dog. You are more likely to be ignored if you have a relatively short dog that derives some of its weight from plumpness, than if you walk in with a tall, lean dog. Both could weigh 55lbs, but the taller dog will seem more like a "big" dog, and will inspire more wariness in the public.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Thanks. That's what I figured. We have a 55 pound pit bull (which if you live outside southern California sounds horrible I'm sure) who is as gentle as a lamb and well behaved. I think we're gonna give it a go.
hmmm, i think you might have more pushback with a pitbull- you should call it a bull terrier or something if someone asks. ;D fwiw, we've never had anyone question our two dogs- a 55lb border collie mutt and a 70lb black lab, but they both look lighter than they are (the border collie is short and fluffy, and the lab looks really skinny and leggy).
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edscholl
hmmm, i think you might have more pushback with a pitbull- you should call it a bull terrier or something if someone asks. ;D fwiw, we've never had anyone question our two dogs- a 55lb border collie mutt and a 70lb black lab, but they both look lighter than they are (the border collie is short and fluffy, and the lab looks really skinny and leggy).
Oh, he's not a Pit Bull. He's an Am Staff, or more fancily called an American Staffordshire Terrier.

8-)
Old Mar 29, 2012, 4:12 pm

a 55 pound pit bull
If I saw a live pit bull in my hotel I'd demand to be reaccommodated immediately.

Don't insurance policies normally exclude dangerous breeds? Some cities (Wikipedia says: Denver, Miami) ban breeds like the American Staffordshire Terrier from the city limits entirely.

Last edited by Moriens; Mar 29, 2012 at 4:21 pm
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Moriens
If I saw a live pit bull in my hotel I'd demand to be reaccommodated immediately.
Would you be more comfortable with a dead pit bull in your hotel?

I'd never been around pit bulls until the last few years. Pit bulls are super awesome people dogs. Even the ones that are, um, less dog friendly, tend to be super awesome with people.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 10MM, BA GLD, SPG PLT, HH D
Leave the overweight dog at home. Stop trying to cheat the system.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Please let me know which hotel so I can make sure and NOT give them any of my money.

Seriously..a 55pound PIT BULL and you want to "get away" with a 40% overage on dog weight???
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by edscholl
Would you be more comfortable with a dead pit bull in your hotel?

Live or dead I would demand to be walked.

This is why I REALLY HOPE one day I will be able to carry my concealed weapon in all 50 states...will not have to worry about vicious dogs like this breed.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40

This is why I REALLY HOPE one day I will be able to carry my concealed weapon in all 50 states...will not have to worry about vicious dogs like this breed.
I would demand to be walked as well. A 15 pound poodle is one thing but a 55 pound pit bull? You have got to be kidding! I don't care how gentle this dog may be as even the most gentle ones havee been known to attack. Leave the dog at home.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40

I'd love to see the actuarial tables on what is more risky, vicious dogs or people walking around with concealed weapons.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:43 pm

You breed specific haters are being ignorant. You should be concerned about leashed, well behaved dogs at the hotels, not the weight or breed. It's very easy to tell a dog that's comfortable and well behaved in public from one who isn't (and no, they won't just snap).

IF a breed were to be banned in hotels, I'd ban chihuahuas. And it's the owners faults - too many of them let their piss poor behaving logs run loose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.