Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Folio -- Outside the Room Door, with No Envelope

Old Mar 28, 12, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile

Woke up this morning at the Sheraton Herndon, VA -- to find my folio outside my door; with full name, address, email address and SPG Number for all eyes to see...

UNREAL Laziness
Old Mar 28, 12, 9:02 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I do hope you report that... that is totally unacceptable. Who knows if anyone "recorded" the info (easy enough with cell phone cameras these days).

Hopefully, no identity theft... but still unacceptable. With our without an envelope, it should not be left in the hallway.
Old Mar 28, 12, 9:38 am

Definitely bring it to the attention of the manager. Not only is it an issue of privacy and the potential of identity theft, it is a safety issue.

Anyone could knock on the door and identify you by name, which would suggest they are form the hotel, and have you open the door for them. As a woman that travels alone quite a bit, this is particularly disturbing.
Old Mar 28, 12, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation

Originally Posted by RTPA View Post
Definitely bring it to the attention of the manager. Not only is it an issue of privacy and the potential of identity theft, it is a safety issue.

Anyone could knock on the door and identify you by name, which would suggest they are form the hotel, and have you open the door for them. As a woman that travels alone quite a bit, this is particularly disturbing.
Agreed bring it to the attention of the GM, not just the manager.
Old Mar 28, 12, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by boston aa flyer View Post
Woke up this morning at the Sheraton Herndon, VA -- to find my folio outside my door; with full name, address, email address and SPG Number for all eyes to see...

UNREAL Laziness
What did the FD say when you called them to point this out?
Old Mar 29, 12, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
FD was totally lame -- "oh sorry, it must have been a mistake" actually, no -- all of my three coworkers had the same exact thing happen... calling General Manager today
Old Mar 29, 12, 9:15 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
This happened to me at the Sheraton Fort Worth once, and it wasn't until later that it dawned on me that it was a bad thing.

What I'm trying to say is: I'm dumb.
Old Mar 29, 12, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Wow...that's pretty bad. Getting the bill half-shoved under the door (where someone could snag it, take a quick pic of it, and then shove it fully under the door) is bad enough.

But to not even try... That's poor.
Old Mar 29, 12, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jake Gittes View Post
This happened to me at the Sheraton Fort Worth once, and it wasn't until later that it dawned on me that it was a bad thing.

What I'm trying to say is: I'm dumb.
*shrug* Or you just didn't think about it... There are still probably 50 identity theft vulnerabilities that I'm still open to today and not even aware of it. If a sophisticated identity theft ring is realy targeting me specifically, I probably can't stop it.

But the thing about the hotel folios is that it seems semi-common. It's not the sophisticated organized crime ring prowling hotels...it's the amateur with a phone cam who might snap a few pics of folios and try to access Starwood accounts one way or another. (I honestly don't know what the SPG phone agents ask you these days if you call up and try to book a room without an Internet password or email address.)
Old Mar 29, 12, 9:30 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not just a matter of possible identity theft. From the folio, someone can easily see the number of occupants (are you alone in the room?) and especially for single occupancy, usually the gender of the traveller. This makes women traveling alone very vulnerable.
Old Mar 29, 12, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
This is really a bad show for the property and it should be reported and stopped! Many properties have an ample gap under the door that it's easy to slip the folio completely into the room. Unfortunately, this also means hallway noise can be a problem.

I'm not too worried about people knowing if I'm alone or not, but they usually won't be able to tell from the folio since I usually book for 2 just in case there is a last minute change in plans (especially if no additional fee for a second person). Also, I use a CMRF address so no risk of someone breaking in as there is very little in the 4x6 mailbox. As mentioned in most property guides, never open the door if you are not expecting someone without calling the front desk (hopefully they will have some form of security to check things out).

I've seen on the news with people calling hotel guests and getting them to break out windows or pop sprinklers claiming to be from the front desk and some emergency requiring immediate action by the guest. Just shows anything can happen and we need to apply some level of reason to just about everything.
Old Mar 29, 12, 10:53 am
Original Poster

General Manager's response was totally lame as well. Not even the slightest indication that he thought this was a problem. Shameful.
Old Mar 29, 12, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Skywards Platinum
General Manager's response was totally lame as well. Not even the slightest indication that he thought this was a problem. Shameful.
I say escelate it so he would think it's a problem.
Old Mar 29, 12, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
File a complaint with corporate. Express the security angle and I'm sure they will press the right buttons!
Old Mar 29, 12, 4:45 pm

Also, if you have someone's name and SPG number (both of which are on the folio) you can track all their future SPG stays using this page forever.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: