FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   [Targeted] Free SPG Gold with just one stay in Asia Pacific (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1324509-targeted-free-spg-gold-just-one-stay-asia-pacific.html)

MTHTravel Mar 23, 2012 1:16 am

Originally Posted by charlesswe (Post 18240094)
You mean during a previous run of the same promotion?

The qualifying stays start in April.

yes, there was the same promotion last year.

FlyHigh23 Apr 4, 2012 8:29 am

How long is the Gold Status valid until once earned?

Corridor! Apr 5, 2012 6:10 pm

Starwood said that the it would be valid for the year of your stay plus one additional year. If you stay this year, it will be valid till the end of 2013.

sthubbar Apr 10, 2012 9:46 pm

Does this promotion also work when trying to re-qualify?

The T&C seems to indicate no, since it says the person should be a the "Preferred Guest Level" and so if currently at Platinum and trying to re-qualify, this would not be allowed.

Although I signed up for the promotion and it said I was signed up.

So, does it qualify or not?

FlyHigh23 Apr 10, 2012 10:30 pm

Why would you want Gold if you're a Platinum -- did you not have enough stays throughout the year to meet even the Gold Status reqt?

Originally Posted by sthubbar (Post 18370673)
Does this promotion also work when trying to re-qualify?

The T&C seems to indicate no, since it says the person should be a the "Preferred Guest Level" and so if currently at Platinum and trying to re-qualify, this would not be allowed.

Although I signed up for the promotion and it said I was signed up.

So, does it qualify or not?

2kind Apr 10, 2012 10:52 pm

Anybody checked to see around what price this could be had for? As in lowest room at any of the participating hotels? I have some FF miles to burn so location not much of an issue.

kevinjrwagner Apr 11, 2012 5:14 am

Would award stays count? They count toward status normally. Or do you have to pay for the room?

FlyHigh23 Apr 11, 2012 6:42 am

Since it requires you to use your World Mastercard for the stay I'd assume Award Stays do not count.

Originally Posted by kevinjrwagner (Post 18371843)
Would award stays count? They count toward status normally. Or do you have to pay for the room?

kaka Apr 11, 2012 7:24 am

Originally Posted by concertjunkie (Post 18343225)
Starwood said that the it would be valid for the year of your stay plus one additional year. If you stay this year, it will be valid till the end of 2013.

or technically Feb 2014.

Stubtify Apr 11, 2012 8:32 am

This is totally not worth going out of your way to do. Don't waste miles or cash, just call SPG and say you'd love staying at more of their properties, but you're HH Gold, and ask if they status match. 9 times out of 10 I'm sure they'll just GIVE you gold.

FlyHigh23 Apr 11, 2012 10:11 am

They stopped status matching and now you have to do a Status Challenge and meet the required stays in a 3mon time period -- granted this is for Platinum status not gold but at least in my case I don't want to do a mattress run.

Originally Posted by Stubtify (Post 18372697)
This is totally not worth going out of your way to do. Don't waste miles or cash, just call SPG and say you'd love staying at more of their properties, but you're HH Gold, and ask if they status match. 9 times out of 10 I'm sure they'll just GIVE you gold.

Stubtify Apr 11, 2012 10:39 am

Originally Posted by FlyHigh23 (Post 18373319)
They stopped status matching and now you have to do a Status Challenge and meet the required stays in a 3mon time period -- granted this is for Platinum status not gold but at least in my case I don't want to do a mattress run.

Yes for PLT. My coworker called and they handed him gold through Feb 2014 yesterday just by asking and using the little script I wrote him. He is HH Gold, but they told him don't even worry about faxing it in.

FlyHigh23 Apr 11, 2012 1:39 pm

What did he say when they referred him to the Status Match because technically HH Gold qualifies for Platinum SM?

I'd think you tell them you're HH Gold and then they give you the SM pitch...do you turn them down and say 'no i dont want to have to stay at your hotels to get status just give me gold"

Originally Posted by Stubtify (Post 18373527)
Yes for PLT. My coworker called and they handed him gold through Feb 2014 yesterday just by asking and using the little script I wrote him. He is HH Gold, but they told him don't even worry about faxing it in.

Tiki Apr 11, 2012 6:26 pm

Does this work if you pay for a meal at an SPG hotel with a World Mastercard? We don't have any stays planned until next year, I can probably squeeze the Bali property in before March 31, 2013 so would be gold until Dec 2014? Basically, I just want the reduced transfer rate 1500 points vs 2500 points for the Grand Slam hit. There aren't many SPG properties where we travel to this year-New Zealand, Cook Islands, Brazil. I'd do a "meal run" to the Gold Coast if that would work.

Stubtify Apr 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by FlyHigh23 (Post 18374894)
What did he say when they referred him to the Status Match because technically HH Gold qualifies for Platinum SM?

I'd think you tell them you're HH Gold and then they give you the SM pitch...do you turn them down and say 'no i dont want to have to stay at your hotels to get status just give me gold"

Try calling yourself first? I'd rather not post all the details in public. It took 2 minutes. You could even use SPG chat if you're not comfortable on the phone.