Do I pay taxes on top of cash and points?

Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Do I pay taxes on top of cash and points?

If I use a cash + points redemption (I'm currently looking at Tambo del Inka in Peru which is 4000 points + $60/night), do I pay taxes and service taxes on top of the $60?

For the revenue rates ($208+tax AP), the taxes+service charges (it's a resort) are $58/night, so obviously avoiding paying them would be good...

If I don't have to pay them, the 4K+60 seems like a reasonable redemption, right?

Thanks for the info
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by mabramovich
If I use a cash + points redemption (I'm currently looking at Tambo del Inka in Peru which is 4000 points + $60/night), do I pay taxes and service taxes on top of the $60?

For the revenue rates ($208+tax AP), the taxes+service charges (it's a resort) are $58/night, so obviously avoiding paying them would be good...

If I don't have to pay them, the 4K+60 seems like a reasonable redemption, right?

Thanks for the info
yes, you also pay any relevant taxes and service charges
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Are you sure? I thought taxes were included (or calculated in the rate), but resort fees were extra. Here's how the taxes for $150 C&P award for St. Regis Princeville broke down:

132.26 in US DOLLARS per night

Taxes
Hawaii State Tx 4.16 Percent Per Room Per Night Not In The Rate
Occupancy Tax 9.25 Percent Per Room Per Night Not In The Rate
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by allbrosca
Are you sure? I thought taxes were included (or calculated in the rate), but resort fees were extra. Here's how the taxes for $150 C&P award for St. Regis Princeville broke down:

132.26 in US DOLLARS per night

Taxes
Hawaii State Tx 4.16 Percent Per Room Per Night Not In The Rate
Occupancy Tax 9.25 Percent Per Room Per Night Not In The Rate
very sure.. here is how it shows up in a hotel i frequent..

Estimated total for your stay
1 room(s) for 1
night(s)
Room rate:

2,800 Starpoints

+ USD 45.00

2,800 Starpoints

+ USD 45.00
Room rate excludes the following:
City Local Tax: USD 1.35 USD 1.35
3.00 % Per Room / Per Night
Room Tax: USD 3.15 USD 3.15
7.00 % Per Room / Per Night
State Occupancy: USD 2.25 USD 2.25
5.00 % Per Room / Per Night
Estimated total: 2,800 Starpoints + USD 45.00 2,800 Starpoints + USD 45.00
USD 6.75 USD 6.75
in excluded taxes in excluded taxes

so I'd pay 51.75 after taxes on a c & p of 2800 and $45. If there were resort fees, that would go on top as well..
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Makes sense and that's what I thought until I booked one yesterday and my $150 charge went down to $132 before tax, so I went back and checked another C&P for Washington and it was definitely plus tax. I wonder if there are different legal requirements in different states
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:17 pm

It is my experience that whether the cash portion of the c&p rate includes any applicable taxes or not varies from hotel to hotel.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:33 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by BizNYC
It is my experience that whether the cash portion of the c&p rate includes any applicable taxes or not varies from hotel to hotel.
I agree with this. Resort fees will always be added to the C & P rate, which probably addresses the OP's point. Taxes, on the other hand, may or may not be added depending on the hotel.

For $30 cash co-pay, I've had the folio show $28.xx + taxes so that I ended up paying $30. I've also had it show $30.00 + taxes so that I ended up paying $34 or whatever. I have had enough instances on either side to infer that neither case is simply an exception to an otherwise widely accepted rule.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:38 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
This is also my experience.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, Alaska.
i share the same experience.^
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy - LIFETIME!!! Titanium ; AA - Platinum 2 Million Miler;
At the W Time Square I was charged the $150 for C&P plus $25.62 in a series of taxes. Based on what I have read here, this is incorrect as the taxes should have been included in the $150.

When can I turn for a definitive answer on this? Platinum Desk, Cust Svc, etc?

Thanks,

Mike
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by FlyMeHomeAA
At the W Time Square I was charged the $150 for C&P plus $25.62 in a series of taxes. Based on what I have read here, this is incorrect as the taxes should have been included in the $150.

When can I turn for a definitive answer on this? Platinum Desk, Cust Svc, etc?

Thanks,

Mike
Whereas I was just at the Westin Times Square on C&P, and the $90 cash portion included all taxes/fees.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:29 pm

Programs: All of the Above
But the Sheraton Towers didn't. Total was like $72ish I think for a $60 c&p stay. Didn't complain though.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I think if you look at the t&c on your c&p reservation confirmation, it well say something like "the following taxes are not included:....".
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:13 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I've had the taxes added additional more often than not. I'm only one example and have a mix of international and US, but moreso international.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:08 am

I stayed at Sheraton Stockholm and Le Meridien Vienna on cash & points. Both hotels didn't add any tax on the cash portion when we left. I think it depends on the country.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.