Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Sheraton the new Westin?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Is Sheraton the new Westin?

I have stayed in both Sheraton and Westin properties in several US cities and found that -- at least in several cases -- the properties sporting the Sheraton brand were as nice or nicer than the properties with the Westin logo.

As a somewhat frequent business traveler for the past 40 years, I recall when the Westin name connoted a top-level business property with a spacious lobby, luxury room amenities, etc. and Sheraton connoted a good, but utilitarian, business hotel, much like standard Marriott or Hilton. Of course, neither brand has been the luxury equal of St. Regis, Luxury Collection, Four Seasons, or the like, but Westins could be relied upon to present the business or leisure traveler with a somewhat better level guest experience than the older, somewhat stodgier, Sheratons.

But is this still true? I am writing this from the Sheraton Seattle, having just transferred here from the Westin a few blocks away (I have a family gathering coming up and wanted to see both). Not only does the Sheraton seem nicer than the Westin, but the front desk gave me much better recognition as a Platinum too. Not to mention the availability of an SPG Lounge. For example, I was upgraded to a suite at the Sheraton and wasn't even put on the SPG floor at the Westin.

I have had similar reactions to Sheratons in other locations as well, including the LAX airport locations of both, the nortwest DC/Virginia suburban locations, etc. This is clearly not universal . . . Westin Copley still seemed better than the older Sheraton Boston last time I was there, for example.

What have others found? How does the Sheraton/Westin comparison stack up on other major cities?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:49 am

It's pretty easy for a Sheraton to be better than the Westin Seattle....

There are still a lot of good Westins out there that are better than the Sheratons in their city.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 9:58 am

Not sure I would agree comparing the Westin Chicago North Shore to the
Sheraton Suites Chicago Elk Grove and Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers. Westin was much spiffier (like that word). It may just be a matter of age.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, DM Silver, RR, AA, US, BA
Another good example is the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort in Chandler, AZ. This is one of the finest Starwood Resorts I've stayed at of any brand
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
I am not surprised by your observation. The Sheraton brand is going through a renewal and is trying to reinvent itself and that is probably why we are seeing this.
It was a change that was needed, IMHO. There are still many subpar Sheratons compared to Westin, but the gap is closing.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
I don't thinks so. I think it's city by city and property by property. Many Sheratons look tired and need to be renovated and brought up to the standard which it appears they are doing and is a good sign.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:41 am

Edinburgh sheraton is better than many of the luxury collection and better than any westin I have stayed in.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
According to the most recent Starwood investor call, now that the Sheraton renewal is largely complete, Westin in the next brand in line for a renewal.

You can see some of the new room pics from the renewal at the Westin Gaslamp in San Diego.

http://www.hotelnewsresource.com/art...San_Diego.html
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I think the OP's observations are spot on in many cases.

I well remember that in the 1980s and 1990s, Westin was very much a leading brand that was full of innovation and growth. The "Westin brand" stood for something and it was impressive at every turn.

Few observers would agree that Westin kept the momentum going. From where I'm sitting, Westin has been standing still for the past decade.

Yes, global economics tanked in that timeframe and I'm certain that has played a large role in Westin's failure to continue to outinnovate its competition. Regardless, it's been a little breathtaking to watch Westin simply stand still for so long.

Tremendous kudos are due the Sheraton brand managers for implementing a plan that really has redefined what the Sheraton brand is all about in 2012. Virtually all of us would agree that Sheraton is a far stronger, fresher brand than it was ten years ago.

I remain entirely puzzled why *wood has allowed Westin to remain adrift for so long, but I surely look forward to their new ideas. It's long overdue.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA LT GS/5MM, DL 3MMGold, HHDia, HyattGlob, IHG Spire Amb, Marr Plat/LTG, SPG LTP
I think the OP is onto something too. Pre Starwood,the Westin brand was without a doubt a luxury name. It has been in a slow decline since its acquisition. I thought the first signs of neglect were when Starwood let some brilliant Westin props get de-branded - great properties like in Singapore and Amsterdam (The Grand.) Now, I view Sheratons as equivalent or often better.

In particular, some of the Westin ski "resorts" leave me a bit cold - as they are really ovepriced low-quality condos. After staying at the Westin Beaver Creek and Westin Whistler, I stayed at the Sheraton Steamboat condos last year. What a difference: the Sheraton was vastly superior - enormously bigger for less money and a staff (shared with the regular hotel) which was superb. This year, spent a few days at Mammoth Mountain, and firmly decided to NOT stay at the Westin - in favor of the true (walk to) ski in/out Village Lodge - bigger rooms/living space at considerably less $$. It'a time for Starwood to refurb the Westin brand. It ain't what it used to be.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
In some places, you are correct. Seattle Westin is a frustrating property, and I would never return.

My best example is the BWI Sheraton and Westin. They share a parking lot and both were new builds a few years ago. Westin is new, trendy, dark. lots of glass, water etc. Sheraton gives me a feel of old money. Dark wood, lots of suites (westin has none). Both have club lounges though.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, AA Plat
From my experience Westins in general have been considerably nicer and newer. Sheratons are very consistent, but not really a luxury brand.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by cksnipe
From my experience Westins in general have been considerably nicer and newer. Sheratons are very consistent, but not really a luxury brand.
But then, I wouldn't call most of the Westin's that I have visited a luxury brand either.

The nicest Westin I have been to is the brand new golf resort in Abu Dhabi. That I would call a semi luxurious property.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Part of the problem with Westin is that several Westins in prominent locations are poor representatives for the brand: Seattle, LAX, Pasadena to name 3 that most Plat members complain about. If Westin cannot get the hotels to represent their brand fairly and treat their guests well, then they'll get the perception that the Westin brand is below that of Sheraton.

We are discussing Westin and Sheraton brands in the US. Outside of the US, Asia in particular, Sheraton brand is very strong and actually Luxury, example Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by CIT85
Part of the problem with Westin is that several Westins in prominent locations are poor representatives for the brand: Seattle, LAX, Pasadena to name 3 that most Plat members complain about. If Westin cannot get the hotels to represent their brand fairly and treat their guests well, then they'll get the perception that the Westin brand is below that of Sheraton.

We are discussing Westin and Sheraton brands in the US. Outside of the US, Asia in particular, Sheraton brand is very strong and actually Luxury, example Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit.
Perhaps surprisingly, the Sheraton Addis Ababa is also an excellent hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.