Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Advice - Sheraton Mahwah v Sheraton Parsippany

Old Feb 6, 12, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver

I have to be in Northern NJ for several days and will be about half way between these two properties. Any suggestions as to which property and why?
Old Feb 6, 12, 9:57 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by marlee1421 View Post
I have to be in Northern NJ for several days and will be about half way between these two properties. Any suggestions as to which property and why?
Sheraton Parsippany is undergoing renovation but the 5th and 6th floor as well as the club lounge have all been completed as of 2 1/2 weeks ago. All the renovated rooms also have wireless internet access. I was in a renovated room recently and it is much better than it was before.

No guarantee you get a renovated room until everything is completed around mid-april especially if the hotel gets a lot of group business the dates you are there.

The gym is very good as well. Even has a racquetball court.

What dates are you looking at? Hopefully it's a date when it is not overly busy since the hotel does get a ton of platinum guests, judging from how busy the club lounge is mon evening to Thurs morning.
Old Feb 6, 12, 10:42 am

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
older info ...

It's been a few years, but I generally liked the Parsippany over the Mahwah. The Mahwah is a pretty generic, convention center styled facility.

The Parsippany has a unique look, nicer staff (again, old data) and jet-baths in the sixth floor rooms (still)?

As previously noted, the gym is also better.

I know many people who are fans of the Parsippany, but none who actively advocate the Mahwah -- perhaps they will chime in?
Old Feb 6, 12, 11:03 am

Programs: SPG Gold, OnePass, AA Advantage, AVIS First, Hertz Gold
I have not been to the one in Parsippany, but stayed at the Mahwah hotel many times. I stay there because it is very convenient for driving around the area, being right next to 287 and 87. It is a solid hotel, I have always gotten an oddly shaped room (I think most are because of the shape of the building), but the bathroom is down a little passage/hallway which came in handy when traveling with my son, he was able to sleep in his pack n play without being disturbed at the end of that hallway. Clean, good size bed...thats about all I got, but I have never been disappointed when I have to stay in that area.
Old Feb 6, 12, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Originally Posted by justspg View Post
Sheraton Parsippany is undergoing renovation but the 5th and 6th floor as well as the club lounge have all been completed as of 2 1/2 weeks ago. All the renovated rooms also have wireless internet access. I was in a renovated room recently and it is much better than it was before.

No guarantee you get a renovated room until everything is completed around mid-april especially if the hotel gets a lot of group business the dates you are there.

The gym is very good as well. Even has a racquetball court.

What dates are you looking at? Hopefully it's a date when it is not overly busy since the hotel does get a ton of platinum guests, judging from how busy the club lounge is mon evening to Thurs morning.
Thasnks. Very helpful. You helped confirm my original thought process to choose Parsippany over Mahwah. I am confident as a plat I will at least get a renovated room.
Old Feb 9, 12, 8:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy - LIFETIME!!! Titanium ; AA - Platinum 2 Million Miler;
Good choice. Parsippany has been my home away from home since 2000. The best staff on the planet. The newly renovated rooms are nice but certainly not the greatest out there. About a 7 out of 10 instead of a 4. Beats Mahwah hands down. Breakfast in Parsippany is a treat in the lounge with Mary. And David in the evenings is great.

They are spending about $5 million on the renovation but have decided to scrap the hot evening munchies. Go figure.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: