Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by illico
I've recently noted that as a legacy SPG member, my Lifetime Gold status has been properly updated in the new program. It was incorrectly showing Lifetime SIlver for the past few weeks.

That said, when looking at the details I see that my "Member Since" status reflect my years as a Marriott member (2013) but not as an SPG member (2010). I don't remember reading if this was normal or not (I dont't think it is...)

Has anyone else noticed this?
Yes, my "member since" is also "wrong" (Marriott join date). I think I joined SPG 2008 and Marriott 2010. After merging it shows member since 2010. My lifetime stuff is not in jeopardy so I didn't bother raising it.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
My understanding is that we have until the end of the calendar year to qualify for lifetime tiers under the old SPG rules. Has anyone that qualified for lifetime tiers post-merger had success getting things mapped correctly? I crossed 250 lifetime nights last month (all SPG properties) and under the old rules should be Lifetime Gold but when my account updated it only shows Lifetime Silver. I'm hesitant to reach out just yet as I know it might be hard to explain and my current status supersedes the lifetime status anyway. But it would be nice to get it sorted out for the future!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by nkedge
My understanding is that we have until the end of the calendar year to qualify for lifetime tiers under the old SPG rules. Has anyone that qualified for lifetime tiers post-merger had success getting things mapped correctly? I crossed 250 lifetime nights last month (all SPG properties) and under the old rules should be Lifetime Gold but when my account updated it only shows Lifetime Silver. I'm hesitant to reach out just yet as I know it might be hard to explain and my current status supersedes the lifetime status anyway. But it would be nice to get it sorted out for the future!
I am in exactly the same position and have decided to give them the rest of the year.
nkedge likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by nkedge
Originally Posted by hsmall
I am in exactly the same position and have decided to give them the rest of the year.
Thanks for asking/answering my question too! I just crossed the legacy SPG lifetime gold milestone last week. but only status only changed to lifetime silver.... Guess I will have to wait even longer than you two... By the way, did you get any email regarding this achievement?
nkedge likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by l380
Thanks for asking/answering my question too! I just crossed the legacy SPG lifetime gold milestone last week. but only status only changed to lifetime silver.... Guess I will have to wait even longer than you two... By the way, did you get any email regarding this achievement?
Nope, no email or anything. Just happened to notice that it suddenly showed up in my account.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:48 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I think this is supposed to roll over at the end of this calendar year.

I would interpret this to mean you won't get official recognition of lifetime gold benefits until it's recognized in the system.

Not saying this is right, just when they are going to recognize qualification under the legacy rules.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:35 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Yes, my "member since" is also "wrong" (Marriott join date). I think I joined SPG 2008 and Marriott 2010. After merging it shows member since 2010. My lifetime stuff is not in jeopardy so I didn't bother raising it.
I actually joined Marriott in 2000, but my join date shows the Starwood 2005. I don't really care because I chose the new number.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, the current system is programmed to follow current rules for status (why write code only good for a few months if you don't have to). So if you cross current tiers your status will change. If you cross any of the legacy tiers, your status will change with the sweep in January. Do keep good notes/screenshots to support your case should the January sweep not result in what you expect.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
I had below 250 nights with SPG (about 238), but above 250 when the programs merged. The phone agent just told me I am thus lifetime Gold. This is not consistent with what I have read regarding the 250 nights. I am going to call back, but has anyone heard anything similar?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by drewp123
I had below 250 nights with SPG (about 238), but above 250 when the programs merged. The phone agent just told me I am thus lifetime Gold. This is not consistent with what I have read regarding the 250 nights. I am going to call back, but has anyone heard anything similar?
The CSR is wrong. According to https://members.marriott.com/benefits/ you need 400 LT nights to make LTG. If you get "about" 12 more nights in SPG properties, then you should make LTG after they do the sweep in January. With all the reports of issues getting through to agents on the phone, save yourself some time and free up some resources for those that need to conduct business. Unfortunately, anything said by a CSR is pretty much unenforceable as they will just say too bad, they were wrong.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RogerD408
The CSR is wrong. According to https://members.marriott.com/benefits/ you need 400 LT nights to make LTG. If you get "about" 12 more nights in SPG properties, then you should make LTG after they do the sweep in January. With all the reports of issues getting through to agents on the phone, save yourself some time and free up some resources for those that need to conduct business. Unfortunately, anything said by a CSR is pretty much unenforceable as they will just say too bad, they were wrong.
I appreciate your concern for my time and the call center's resources. However, it is important I get this right.

Do you know of a way to calculate how many nights I need to meet the previous program's threshold now that I have combined my accounts and cannot see how many SPG only nights I have?

Edit: I took a screenshot pre-merger that shows my nights. I will go off that. I called and 5 agents could not tell me the number. However, the last agent said because I merged accounts it’s now IMPOSSIBLE to obtain LTG under the old rules. *sigh*

Last edited by drewp123; Oct 9, 2018 at 2:37 pm
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewp123

I appreciate your concern for my time and the call center's resources. However, it is important I get this right.

Do you know of a way to calculate how many nights I need to meet the previous program's threshold now that I have combined my accounts and cannot see how many SPG only nights I have?

Edit: I took a screenshot pre-merger that shows my nights. I will go off that. I called and 5 agents could not tell me the number. However, the last agent said because I merged accounts it’s now IMPOSSIBLE to obtain LTG under the old rules. *sigh*
There is no display that currently shows you legacy nights, you must track that yourself. Take the count from your screenshot and add all SPG nights since. Personally, I maintain (and have for years) a spreadsheet to track past stays, nights, and points in addition to future stays and the different status tiers so I know my progress earning the status I want. But just like your bank account, trusting the bank to give you accurate data is not wise. Reconciling your account is the only way to know where you stand, even if only mentally.

What you were told by that CSR is contrary to what we've been told since before the merger. I'm not surprised either. By telling you it isn't possible they don't have to do the work to find the data you're asking for. Even they don't have a view that separate legacy stays and I doubt the MR CSRs don't have a clue what the tiers required.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
I'm glad to know I am not the only one. Unfortunately in my case, the change in date does concern me as I am targetting LTP (not LTPP) in the next few years. I will lose three years of qualifying if this is not corrected. Given the numerous system issues, is it better to wait to address with Marriott? Everyone seems to be saying wait until January.

Last edited by illico; Oct 11, 2018 at 8:13 am Reason: Incorrect lifetime status
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by illico
I'm glad to know I am not the only one. Unfortunately in my case, the change in date does concern me as I am targetting LTPP in the next few years. I will lose three years of qualifying if this is not corrected. Given the numerous system issues, is it better to wait to address with Marriott? Everyone seems to be saying wait until January.
There is going to a lot of changes happening for some time. But one thing you might want to double check, if you don't earn LTPP by the end of this year, it is no longer an option. Now whether they will put that back on the table down the road is unknown.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:13 am

I meant LTP. Thank you for reminding me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.