Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
yes that is a very good point ... I am actually one of those who after linking accounts stayed at mostly Marriott albeit a lot had to do with the location of a particular property another reason was that in one way or another there would be some sort of joint recognition ...I guess that is what the merged program is supposed to do ... my gripe is still is that given nights and 3*star-points I am (theoretically) LTPP if the current procedure is set in stone I am LTG, (7 Years of PLT) given the dilution of gold ... not much reason to stay at MAR ... not that anybody cares ...

Last edited by X-ON; Apr 21, 2018 at 1:19 am
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by stc
So, I'm currently Plat in Marriott (with about 100 nights last year) and Lifetime Platinum in Starwood. At the time of the merger (certainly by Dec), I will have about 1500 nights combined in the two programs (900 marriott, 600 starwood) but I will have no where near enough points (400k-500k short) to qualify for Lifetime Platinum in Marriott. Is there any way I can fix this to achieve Lifetime Platinum Premier? I've burnt most of my Starwood points (about 10k left). I do have over 200k Membership Rewards points which I could launder through Starwood to create almost 200k more Marriott points, but I'm still 200-300k short.
You might want to check out this thread. Good luck!

The Race to 2.0MM Points is On!
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, United Premierl Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I agree
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
So if I understand correctly, the new loyalty program requires that you get 10 years platinum (in either program) or above and nights of more than 750 nights (combined) to be qualified as LTPP?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:09 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Tommys888
So if I understand correctly, the new loyalty program requires that you get 10 years platinum (in either program) or above and nights of more than 750 nights (combined) to be qualified as LTPP?
No. currently the only way to achieve LTPP is to be LTP with Marriott’s legacy program by the end of 2018.

No new LTPP will be minted after the end of 2018 per currently published details.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
Currently SPG LTG. With 562 nights. 5 years Plat (6 by August all years except one were by 50 nights ...and that lone one was 40+) 90k current SPG points. Who knows how many points earned lifetime. Gold since joined in 1999. 413 nights Marriott. 1.75M points Marriott. Gold since whenever the UA status match thing (Rewards Plus?) started, and I think we actually had gold one year prior? While I believe combining both my SPG points and nights with Marriott to make LTPP is a pipe dream (although, I’d gladly transfer over 200k Chase UR points to get to 2M if I knew it would get me LTPP), I do believe we should get LTP (I.e. just as a Marriott LTG would get). Same rational as those arguing that SPG LTP with 750+ nights at SPG should be matched to LTPP. Especially since we meet the points requirement. Fair is fair. Otherwise we won’t be LTP for another 4 years.

I truly think the year thing is much harder than the night or point thing. Sure, we got nights via award nights counting longer than Marriott. And we could claim nights on up to 3 rooms for a while now (although neither have been in place for 10 years...to make SPG LTP). But that’s washed away by the many nights on the Marriott CC one could get. 15 just for having the card (vs 5 for SPG), and an Unlimited number of nights that could be earned for every $3k spent on the card. Heck, even if you only put stays on the card you were earning at least a couple of nights that way. Oh, and rollover nights.

So, could we all start advocating for everyone to get the status that is fair (based on what has been suggested above). Y’all with SPG nights of 750+ help a gal out here? Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet

Two days. I asked for my spend record and was told they didn’t have that. Then I asked for the “Master Statement” and that took two days.

Just a reminder we are organizing 750+ night LTPs at https://t.co/GsOKpzTKpT to request they change and give us LTPPE.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I live in a country where Facebook is not accessible... but I am with you all in spirit. I do think we as SPG LTP with over 750 nights should get the same status as Marriott LTPs. That is only fair.

I have only stayed 42 lifetime with Marriott (mostly in the past year) and have already earned 195,832 points. It seems their lifetime points benchmarks are insanely low. Points seem to come into my account like a Pez machine shooting out candy.

It is clear SPG plats are generally far more loyal than Marriott plats (there are exceptions of course) but the hurdle rate of getting SPG LTP was so much harder, from # of properties, to cost (my last 3 Starwood stays averaged over $600 USD a night at 2 LC properties) , to butt in beds over a whole decade that Marriott should at the least recognize our loyalty and high spending.

Moreover, as I have written before, I have directed my employees to stay at Starwoods so it is not just my personal account spending but the amount I have shelled out over all my employees.

Why should a Marriott LTP plat automatically be considered more loyal and a higher spender than I? There should be objective metrics for us to achieve. Just good business sense.

Oh, as a FYI, tonight I am staying at Conrad in Singapore over St. Regis because I am not happy about the grey area on my status. Not a bad property here. I might add Diamond status. Anyone have experience with that? Is it a viable program to test out? Usually I lam not a fan of Hyatts.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by jmkclee
Currently SPG LTG. With 562 nights. 5 years Plat (6 by August all years except one were by 50 nights ...and that lone one was 40+) 90k current SPG points. Who knows how many points earned lifetime. Gold since joined in 1999. 413 nights Marriott. 1.75M points Marriott. Gold since whenever the UA status match thing (Rewards Plus?) started, and I think we actually had gold one year prior? While I believe combining both my SPG points and nights with Marriott to make LTPP is a pipe dream (although, I’d gladly transfer over 200k Chase UR points to get to 2M if I knew it would get me LTPP), I do believe we should get LTP (I.e. just as a Marriott LTG would get). Same rational as those arguing that SPG LTP with 750+ nights at SPG should be matched to LTPP. Especially since we meet the points requirement. Fair is fair. Otherwise we won’t be LTP for another 4 years.

I truly think the year thing is much harder than the night or point thing. Sure, we got nights via award nights counting longer than Marriott. And we could claim nights on up to 3 rooms for a while now (although neither have been in place for 10 years...to make SPG LTP). But that’s washed away by the many nights on the Marriott CC one could get. 15 just for having the card (vs 5 for SPG), and an Unlimited number of nights that could be earned for every $3k spent on the card. Heck, even if you only put stays on the card you were earning at least a couple of nights that way. Oh, and rollover nights.

So, could we all start advocating for everyone to get the status that is fair (based on what has been suggested above). Y’all with SPG nights of 750+ help a gal out here? Thanks!

I'm in similar situation, but not exactly the same. I am LTG with 800+ night 7 years Plt and 2M in equivalent spend... Right now I feel treated as a second class citizen
The reason for this is not some misguided sense of entitlement its because the MR LT program was a function of a set loyalty measuring variables SPG LT program had another set of loyalty measuring variables, which it seems that the new program has adapted. So far so good, but now it seems like the exec at MR thought that we could not translate our SPG loyalty into the MR variables..However since this is a straight forward procedure we see that our loyalty to SPG expressed in the MR variables would have yielded a far better reward from MPG...
If the MR loyalty variables where something that we couldn't easily translate, like how many hidden pictures of Arne Sorenson we can find or how many bar soaps from FS Marriott we have collected, we would not have this discussion.But since both the concept of nights and points is easily transferable, in fact MR provided the points exchange rate which facilitate this comparison, we end up feeing like a second class citizen.

I can only assume that the exec at MR did this in the naive sense that since MPG is adapting the SPG loyalty variables SPG members would not mind. That type of thinking is like you are queuing for days to get bread you have your black number and you waiting for your turn... Now some guys with red numbers show up and these numbers are all lower it turns out the red numbers can get exchanged to the same number but written in black... How many people think that this situation will end well?

​​​​Or MR exec intentionally want to stick it to the SPG crowd for some unknown reason, maybe reduce the number of minted LTP and LTPP, at least that would make sense from some narrow accounting perspective
​​​
​If it is the first I call Amateur Hour....

Last edited by X-ON; Apr 21, 2018 at 6:09 pm
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:09 am

Duplicate post
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:08 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
sorry @forumpersona999 it is now https://www.facebook.com/groups/SPGLTP750Plus/
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:25 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Still waiting for mine. I'm wondering if the data might be flawed. I know that in previous year end summaries, my numbers seemed grossly inflated. The only explanation I could come up with was that they included points used to make bookings (on the burn side) and points returned to my account for a cancelled booking (on the earn side).
Yes- I didn't have time to sift through the data, but I am certain that the numbers are inflated. But a quick review proved what I already knew- that I way exceed a 2M point conversion (666,666 Starpoints)

(I way exceed 2M without a conversion.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Still waiting for mine. I'm wondering if the data might be flawed. I know that in previous year end summaries, my numbers seemed grossly inflated. The only explanation I could come up with was that they included points used to make bookings (on the burn side) and points returned to my account for a cancelled booking (on the earn side).
Originally Posted by damon88
Yes- I didn't have time to sift through the data, but I am certain that the numbers are inflated.
The "Master Statement" is fascinating.

It's easy enough to sift through and organize the data in Microsoft Excel to remove the "noise" as described by margarita girl to get an accurate picture of how many points have been earned over the years. The data is actually quite thorough and every single transaction (accrued and deducted points) is listed chronologically, by date. The only thing I am not sure about is whether the data goes back all the way. My SPG Dashboard lists me as having been a member since 2001 but the data on the "master statement" starts in 2005.

Either way, after nullifying all the noise of the awards claimed and points redeposited after award night cancellations and also removing all points transfered from my spouse's account, I've well exceeded 2MM MR points (I've actually far exceeded 2MM SPG points too).
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
How does one get a master statement?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
How does one get a master statement?
You can request it from your Ambassador or email [email protected].

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.