Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
Did you skip the rest of the thread? .
To be fair, what was being proposed and challenged was >750 *combined* nights, which i believe is quite different than what many are proposing, which is those who had 750 nights with just SPG. combining accounts then offering LTPPE for >750 would indeed be a material lowering of the threshold whereas just applying the same MR criteria to both programs separately would not lower the threshold, merely apply the same threshold to all.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
I'm at 8 years and 588 nights (combined) towards lifetime platinum in SPG and just called the SPG Platinum preferred line to ask how they would calculate lifetime platinum when they merge the accounts -- i will have another 100 nights from Marriott Rewards so will be above the 600-night threshhold but not sure if i'll have the 10 years or not given I never earned Platinum status at Marriott and only had a few years of MR Gold, which I'm not sure if i earned or if it was only because of United or a status match.

In any case, I will quote what i was told by the supervisor: Members need 10 years of combined elite status of Platinum Elite 50 night level or higher. 10-year renewal years do count as earned years for the sake of lifetime platinum status.
I have NO idea what that means -- the phrase Platinum Elite 50 night level or higher means nothing when applied to Marriott Rewards (since Platinum required 75 nights, and I have no clue with the second sentence means about renewal nights.

In addition when I called Marriott, they have no way to tell me how many nights I earned in a given year before 24 months ago, so no way to even figure out if i had 50 nights or more in any given year (if that in fact is the threshhold).

I'm not that concerned for me as worst case, I just need to qualify for Platinum this year and next and will get my LT status but it's super confusing.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by kv99
I'm at 8 years and 588 nights (combined) towards lifetime platinum in SPG and just called the SPG Platinum preferred line to ask how they would calculate lifetime platinum when they merge the accounts -- i will have another 100 nights from Marriott Rewards so will be above the 600-night threshhold but not sure if i'll have the 10 years or not given I never earned Platinum status at Marriott and only had a few years of MR Gold, which I'm not sure if i earned or if it was only because of United or a status match.

In any case, I will quote what i was told by the supervisor: Members need 10 years of combined elite status of Platinum Elite 50 night level or higher. 10-year renewal years do count as earned years for the sake of lifetime platinum status.
I have NO idea what that means -- the phrase Platinum Elite 50 night level or higher means nothing when applied to Marriott Rewards (since Platinum required 75 nights, and I have no clue with the second sentence means about renewal nights.

In addition when I called Marriott, they have no way to tell me how many nights I earned in a given year before 24 months ago, so no way to even figure out if i had 50 nights or more in any given year (if that in fact is the threshhold).

I'm not that concerned for me as worst case, I just need to qualify for Platinum this year and next and will get my LT status but it's super confusing.
Same here, they could not tell me how many years I had in MR before 2015.

I have the nights but only 5 years as SPG Plat. I believe I have 1-2 years of MR Plat and 5-8 years of MR Gold.

I guess they have until August to access the data but I sure would like to know.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by jrothenb
I was told that one can email [email protected] to request the lifetime SPG master activity statement. I requested mine two days ago and am awaiting a response.
Thanks for the tip. I got my Statement overnight going back it seems to when I first joined in 2004! Fast work from the SPG backend crew or maybe the info was a lot more readily available than we thought!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:03 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dannybhoy

Thanks for the tip. I got my Statement overnight going back it seems to when I first joined in 2004! Fast work from the SPG backend crew or maybe the info was a lot more readily available than we thought!

I received mine yesterday going back over 15 years.

Fascinating data (including lifetime eligible spend)

I won’t even list the number of Starpoints I’ve earned and burned over those years because I don’t think anyone would believe me 🙃
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Día Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by damon88

I won’t even list the number of Starpoints I’ve earned and burned over those years because I don’t think anyone would believe me ��
Still waiting for mine. I'm wondering if the data might be flawed. I know that in previous year end summaries, my numbers seemed grossly inflated. The only explanation I could come up with was that they included points used to make bookings (on the burn side) and points returned to my account for a cancelled booking (on the earn side).

Last edited by margarita girl; Apr 20, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:40 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Still waiting for mine. I'm wondering if the data might be flawed. I know that in previous year end summaries, my numbers seemed grossly inflated. The only explanation I could come up with was that they included points used to make bookings (on the burn side) and points returned to my account for a cancelled booking (on the earn side).
I think for all of us here that made it to SPG Lifetime Plat and have a SPG credit card, it's very likely we would have earned 2 mil equivalent of Marriott points (ie 666,667 SPG points). That's min 10 years of SPG card spending, min 500 nights of earnings. That's before all those bonus points earned from promotions, SPG credit card churning welcome bonuses, AMEX MR transfers and welcome amenities and the long-gone 500 points for busy website.

It's more challenging for SPG Lifetime members that life in countries with no SPG AMEX.(but should have a normal AMEX that can do a more costly AMEX MR -> SPG transfer).

The 2 million Marriott points to those Marriott members is daunting mainly because they are trying to get there without putting in 10 years.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: SPG
I am currently at over 600 nights combined with SPG and Marriott, but will only have 9 years of SPG Platinum at the end of the year. I saw the following quote on the members benefits website:
If you achieved Elite status in both SPG and Rewards in one year, you’ll receive credit for two Elite years
Does this mean that if I do 50+ nights in both SPG hotels and Marriott this year I will be credited with 2 year of elite status and that would put me at 10 years of elite?
I'm currently at 41 nights at SPG this year and 9 at Marriott. Do I just need 9 more nights at SPG properties, than after that 41 nights at Marriott properties to have "2 years credit" or is it just for past years?

Sorry if this is confusing, I just saw an opportunity to have LPE at the end of the year. I'm not sure that I will have more than 50 nights next year, but this year will be a 100+ nights so I might change my bookings accordingly.

Last edited by SPGSerenityNow; Apr 20, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by boolean64
To be fair, what was being proposed and challenged was >750 *combined* nights, which i believe is quite different than what many are proposing, which is those who had 750 nights with just SPG. combining accounts then offering LTPPE for >750 would indeed be a material lowering of the threshold whereas just applying the same MR criteria to both programs separately would not lower the threshold, merely apply the same threshold to all.
No the suggestion was to treat LT Nights from SPG and MR separate but map into combined tiers employing only these nights as a criteria., my apologizes if I was unclear.
LT SPG nights 750+ => LTPP MPG
LT MR nights 750+ => LTPP MPG
500=<LT SPG nights <750 =>LTP MPG
500=<LT MR nights <750 =>LTP MPG
250=<LT SPG nights <500 =>LTG MPG
250=<LT MR nights <500 =>LTG MPG
The objective was to create a function that maps the current members of SPG and MR into a new LT program tier without anybody feeling unfairly treated .
It would answer the question: "What will my past loyalty in program X equate to in terms of LT tier in program Z " this without any member perceiving themselve as unfairly treated.
As we can see there is no mentioning of grandfathering MR PLT into LTPP, its implied, i.e a subset of the MR members being mapped into LTPP MPG contains the set of all LT PLT MR
And no I am not oblivious to the fact that this will mint more LT tiers, the gain would be that nobody would feel unfairly treated .

Before anybody says "LTPP/LTP flooding the lounges" ....this will depend on excess minting of LTPP/LTP? The answer to that will probably remain with MAR ...

...in any case I feel that some procedure that standardize the variables measuring past loyalty at SPG and MR is needed currently that is not the case, hence the sense of unfair treatment ...
mooper likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:32 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by SPGSerenityNow
I am currently at over 600 nights combined with SPG and Marriott, but will only have 9 years of SPG Platinum at the end of the year. I saw the following quote on the members benefits website:

Does this mean that if I do 50+ nights in both SPG hotels and Marriott this year I will be credited with 2 year of elite status and that would put me at 10 years of elite?
I'm currently at 41 nights at SPG this year and 9 at Marriott. Do I just need 9 more nights at SPG properties, than after that 41 nights at Marriott properties to have "2 years credit"?
In the back of my mind, this just looks like a very complex backend system to keep track of former Starwood and former Marriott hotels.

Wasn't it explained on the faq I'd you qualify for both program's same elite tier, they could as double?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, HH D
Originally Posted by yeunganson
I think for all of us here that made it to SPG Lifetime Plat and have a SPG credit card, it's very likely we would have earned 2 mil equivalent of Marriott points (ie 666,667 SPG points). That's min 10 years of SPG card spending, min 500 nights of earnings. That's before all those bonus points earned from promotions, SPG credit card churning welcome bonuses, AMEX MR transfers and welcome amenities and the long-gone 500 points for busy website.

It's more challenging for SPG Lifetime members that life in countries with no SPG AMEX.(but should have a normal AMEX that can do a more costly AMEX MR -> SPG transfer).

The 2 million Marriott points to those Marriott members is daunting mainly because they are trying to get there without putting in 10 years.
I'm only one data point but a cursory read of my Master Statement indicates that I earned 950,000 SPG points over 14 years and 528 lifetime EQNs. And the majority of my nights were at second-rate (even third-rate) Sheratons, LMs and Four Points. That's as a non-US resident without recourse to points/EQN doping from US credit cards.

If I'm any indication as a barely SPG LTP500 non-US member, I'm certain that the Stateside SPG LTP750s with their SPG CCs could easily have more than 2 million SPG points. Therefore, the vaunted legacy Marriott LTP requirement of 2 million MR points is a joke!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:04 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
So, I'm currently Plat in Marriott (with about 100 nights last year) and Lifetime Platinum in Starwood. At the time of the merger (certainly by Dec), I will have about 1500 nights combined in the two programs (900 marriott, 600 starwood) but I will have no where near enough points (400k-500k short) to qualify for Lifetime Platinum in Marriott. Is there any way I can fix this to achieve Lifetime Platinum Premier? I've burnt most of my Starwood points (about 10k left). I do have over 200k Membership Rewards points which I could launder through Starwood to create almost 200k more Marriott points, but I'm still 200-300k short.

Last edited by stc; Apr 20, 2018 at 9:43 pm
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by dannybhoy
If I'm any indication as a barely SPG LTP500 non-US member, I'm certain that the Stateside SPG LTP750s with their SPG CCs could easily have more than 2 million SPG points. Therefore, the vaunted legacy Marriott LTP requirement of 2 million MR points is a joke!
Following some examples here, I have also requested today and received my master statement starting 2003. You can easily calculate your lifetime SPG points by nullifying all award activities (either negative such as award nights or positive as award re-deposits if those reservations are cancelled) and taking the sum of such modified column.
With ca. 770 SPG lifetime nights my SPG point count is about 2 million. Yes, the legacy Marriott LTP requirement of 2 million MR points is a joke!
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by X-ON
No the suggestion was to treat LT Nights from SPG and MR separate but map into combined tiers employing only these nights as a criteria., my apologizes if I was unclear.
LT SPG nights 750+ => LTPP MPG
LT MR nights 750+ => LTPP MPG
500=<LT SPG nights <750 =>LTP MPG
500=<LT MR nights <750 =>LTP MPG
250=<LT SPG nights <500 =>LTG MPG
250=<LT MR nights <500 =>LTG MPG
The objective was to create a function that maps the current members of SPG and MR into a new LT program tier without anybody feeling unfairly treated .
It would answer the question: "What will my past loyalty in program X equate to in terms of LT tier in program Z " this without any member perceiving themselve as unfairly treated.
As we can see there is no mentioning of grandfathering MR PLT into LTPP, its implied, i.e a subset of the MR members being mapped into LTPP MPG contains the set of all LT PLT MR
And no I am not oblivious to the fact that this will mint more LT tiers, the gain would be that nobody would feel unfairly treated .

Before anybody says "LTPP/LTP flooding the lounges" ....this will depend on excess minting of LTPP/LTP? The answer to that will probably remain with MAR ...

...in any case I feel that some procedure that standardize the variables measuring past loyalty at SPG and MR is needed currently that is not the case, hence the sense of unfair treatment ...
I would argue that it's only fair that activity between SPG and MR be combined to determine thresholds. Consider that Marriott actively told everyone that status would be cross-recognized between programs, so for the past couple of years, we've had SPG folks staying at Marriotts, and vice-versa, knowing that eventually everything would be combined. That activity must be combined in order to fairly recognize that basic premise that was promised at the initial announcement of the merger. Namely, that it makes no difference whether one remains loyal to the SPG side or the MR side, because it was all "Marriott."
Canada101 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
+1

I agree completely. I'm SPG LTP, and I've been shifting some of my stays lately to Marriott branded hotels when it has made sense for me, assuming that all of my nights would eventually count equally in the combined program. Now I'm not so sure if that is the case......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.