Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by schley
Sorry if you guys don't understand, but both sets of people still have to pay for hotel stays, thus represent cash flow NOW! The question was which would you rather have and it is obvious one gave you cash previously that you have a delta of cost v. revenue for your profit, invested gives you a return to use (either capex, operations, or retained earnings). The other gave you jack squat in the past, but will now give you the same cash flow as the LTP.
Frankly I don't think YOU understand...a sound maxim in business is "don't pay for past performance"...you want to pay for future performance. There's a reason why in travel specifically most companies now operate under a "what have you done for me lately" mantra...it's not about what you did in the past.

If you were right, Starwood would be targeting LTPs with special incentives...which they aren't. If you were right, Starwood wouldn't have created multiple new Plat tiers (SPG 50/75/100) with in-kind benefits, to reward in the future (as in the next status year).

Another good example - the UA forum is littered with folks who make MM and then say "thank god I can finally get off the annual status qualifying merry-go-round", and also "now I can fly better Star carriers". They can enjoy their LT status, with some good benefits, but all things being equal, they become less valuable customers than annual UA Golds (who have to keep flying & spending on the airline).

This is Behavioral Economics 101 - once you achieve a LT milestone, you don't need to practice the same behaviors that got you there, as the incentive is now dulled. IMO it is still smart of course to offer some LT benefits - you still want those people consuming your brand/service. BUT as 3544quebec notes, Starwood is more interested in having that ultimate goal out there for the next generation of travelers, to drive future loyalty.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:22 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I think it is obvious that a customer staying 50-100 nights a year is more valuable to a hotel than a LTP who only occasionally travels.

Companies really don’t reward legacy customers. This dawned on me a few months ago when I was helping an octogenarian friend of mine enroll in her Amex Platinum programs (she had no idea about SPG Gold or Priority Pass) I was surprised to see “Charter Member” since 1958 on her card, and it inspired me to research if American Express conferred any special benefits to Charter Members. I didn’t expect much but thought that there might be something.

But there was nothing- zero-zip-nada.

After all, how profitable are most 88 year olds?

I also observed how companies wooed our two sons as they began their professional careers. Up and coming executives were more valuable than an older couple nearing retirement.

As they say “some customers are more equal than others”

😛
Old Mar 26, 2018, 1:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Frankly I don't think YOU understand...a sound maxim in business is "don't pay for past performance"...you want to pay for future performance.
And the promise of lifetime status -- if valuable -- is an incentive for that future performance by those who are not yet lifetime.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by JackE
And the promise of lifetime status -- if valuable -- is an incentive for that future performance by those who are not yet lifetime.
Since LT was not put in place by some altruistic motives, I suspect that an additional reason for setting up a LT programme is to retain customers that maybe have passed their road-warrior phase in their career. They are of course no longer the big wallet spender they used to be but many have obtain higher personal disposable income which make them interesting to retain. This client segment might not be the big revenue creator as the notorious road warrior but on the margin still a enough profitable client segment to retain. However why these customers would get better (or equal) treatment than the road warrior putting in 100+ BiB nights is beyond me.

It could be, and I am just speculating now, that certain segments of the brands would have a larger marginal revenue impact from these customers that would justifty some extra benefits at those ... but thats an open question ...
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Frankly I don't think YOU understand...a sound maxim in business is "don't pay for past performance"...you want to pay for future performance. There's a reason why in travel specifically most companies now operate under a "what have you done for me lately" mantra...it's not about what you did in the past.

If you were right, Starwood would be targeting LTPs with special incentives...which they aren't. If you were right, Starwood wouldn't have created multiple new Plat tiers (SPG 50/75/100) with in-kind benefits, to reward in the future (as in the next status year).

Another good example - the UA forum is littered with folks who make MM and then say "thank god I can finally get off the annual status qualifying merry-go-round", and also "now I can fly better Star carriers". They can enjoy their LT status, with some good benefits, but all things being equal, they become less valuable customers than annual UA Golds (who have to keep flying & spending on the airline).

This is Behavioral Economics 101 - once you achieve a LT milestone, you don't need to practice the same behaviors that got you there, as the incentive is now dulled. IMO it is still smart of course to offer some LT benefits - you still want those people consuming your brand/service. BUT as 3544quebec notes, Starwood is more interested in having that ultimate goal out there for the next generation of travelers, to drive future loyalty.
UA-NYC buddy, if we are going to resort to ..... “no you dont’ understand” or “I know better because......” this isn’t going to go anywhere. I’m trying to help you guys. I have contributed with my financial background and present role, if you want to dumb it down with subjective this and this or to whatever makes you feel like you won, go ahead.

FT everyone is always confident, often wrong.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
UA-NYC buddy, if we are going to resort to ..... “no you dont’ understand” or “I know better because......” this isn’t going to go anywhere. I’m trying to help you guys. I have contributed with my financial background and present role, if you want to dumb it down with subjective this and this or to whatever makes you feel like you won, go ahead.

FT everyone is always confident, often wrong.
You are alone on an island with this one, there doesn't seem to be much point to the discussion frankly. You lost "us" with your statement that "previous spend collected from a business should be more valuable to a business than a dollar today"...5-6 posters have basically said "uh, that's not how the world works, especially loyalty programs these days."
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
You are alone on an island with this one, there doesn't seem to be much point to the discussion frankly. You lost "us" with your statement that "previous spend collected from a business should be more valuable to a business than a dollar today"...5-6 posters have basically said "uh, that's not how the world works, especially loyalty programs these days."
You haven't been on my radar in the past as assailing others with fiction, but you are now.

You are omitting what I said "both sets of people still have to pay for hotel stays, thus represent cash flow NOW! " Oh yeah..... forgot about that line huh? Never did I say the LTP doens't have to continue to accrue stays. But, in your world of selective reading apparently it is convenient to aid your fiction.

I NEVER said the LTP gives you money in the past and NEVER stays again. Check the transcript. I said they gave you revenue in the past, which yields capital that you can invest, but both sets of people still have to pay for hotel stays.

They are equal moving forward, but one gave you cash previously and will in the future. The other gave you jack in the past and will now give you cash. My writing (unedited mind you) stands, not your poor comprehension response to it.

Which is more valuable? Thanks for playing.

BTW I don't need to band together with 4-5 others to feel good. My point stands and if I stand away from you, then it is away from ignorance.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You haven't been on my radar in the past as assailing others with fiction, but you are now.

You are omitting what I said "both sets of people still have to pay for hotel stays, thus represent cash flow NOW! " Oh yeah..... forgot about that line huh? Never did I say the LTP doens't have to continue to accrue stays. But, in your world of selective reading apparently it is convenient to aid your fiction.

I NEVER said the LTP gives you money in the past and NEVER stays again. Check the transcript. I said they gave you revenue in the past, which yields capital that you can invest, but both sets of people still have to pay for hotel stays.

They are equal moving forward, but one gave you cash previously and will in the future. The other gave you jack in the past and will now give you cash. My writing (unedited mind you) stands, not your poor comprehension response to it.

Which is more valuable? Thanks for playing.

BTW I don't need to band together with 4-5 others to feel good. My point stands and if I stand away from you, then it is away from ignorance.
Wow...shots fired. Let's just remember this whole back and forth started with your (insulting) reply to a poster who said "In purely finance terms, profit from years ago doesn't really account to anything. SPG could, and should, do a lot more to keep it's Lifetimers engaged, energised, and most importantly continuing to contribute as much of their cash as possible to the business now. Instead, Lifetimers seem to be punted off into a commercial backwater, and pointedly excluded from most of the very targeted promos that would be so good at bringing in incremental revenue."

Your side point about "capital given in the past that you can invest" is irrelevant. Money paid in the past is irrelevant - that revenue is sunk. Once you have achieved the goal (LTP, or MM, or whatever LT status one is trying achieve) it is simply human nature to let up. Those posters have some incentive to keep staying (they do get benefits) but simply put, they are less valued customers to Starwood. It's not personal, it's business...Starwood isn't sending them any promotions to drive new activity. And they were "layered" by the SPG 50/75/100 levels...to drive future, incremental business.

If LTPs are spending points for stays, getting more benefits than their cash outlay to the brand, staying at cheaper properties...arguably they may be less valuable than newer customers (or year to year Plats). Same reason why people argue 1Ks are UA's least favorite customers.

Keep knocking yourself out though about dollars in the past being more important...
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat

LTP is there to provide a carrot for those who are currently not LTP. The marginal cost of the LTP is small (breakfast, lounge and late checkout) so if it encourages stays by clients who are no longer frequent travelers it is still a positive. They cannot use the benefit elsewhere unlike the airline partnerships.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:42 pm

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Lurker: SPG LTP > 750 Nights

William: Can we get an official statement on this. Marriott did say they would combine status and nights and August. Does that mean they will take in to account current SPG LT Plat member's who have greater then 750 nights and make them the new LT Plat Prem level?

Thanks.
Canada101 and Plumber like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dshafiee
William: Can we get an official statement on this. Marriott did say they would combine status and nights and August. Does that mean they will take in to account current SPG LT Plat member's who have greater then 750 nights and make them the new LT Plat Prem level?

Thanks.
My Ambassador just confirmed I would be grandfathered in as a Platinum Premier Elite. I have 13 years of Platinum and 900 SPG nights.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:07 pm

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
My Ambassador just confirmed I would be grandfathered in as a Platinum Premier Elite. I have 13 years of Platinum and 900 SPG nights.
Excellent news! I will check with mine. I just qualified for LT Plat with 10 years Plat and 810 nights.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
What about for members that have > 750 nights and the equivalent of 2 million points but not 10 years Plat? I'm 1 year short!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
So if you have more than 750 nights in one program you get Platinum Premier. The question remains of the combined. I have 762 nights (683 SPG, 76 Marriott). Was hoping the combined would get me Platinum Premier. No idea on total points.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dshafiee
Excellent news! I will check with mine. I just qualified for LT Plat with 10 years Plat and 810 nights.
It would seem foolish for Marriott to piss off the people that have stayed the most with Starwood and there are probably not many that have LT Platinum and over 750 nights with SPG. If they follow through with this, I think the new program has been very fair thus far.
ronaldko likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.