Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drron
2017 was my 10th year that I earnt platinum but 2008 I had been comped.The next 9 years were earnt plat.This will be the 10th year of earnt plat.@017 was my 9th year of earnt plat.On Jan 1 my years to complete dropped from 2 to 1.So I am presuming my 10th earnt year finishes on Dec 31 2018.
PS before being comped in 2008 I had no status.
Dude - you keep saying "2008 was comped", what does that even mean? Frankly I think you will be in for an unfortunate surprise if you don't do your 25 stays / 50 nights this year and lock in LTP before end of year. Your chart says 9 years Platinum - do you have it in writing that you actually already have 10 years Plat?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I suggest calling plat line To double check. It sounds to me you have 9 qualifying years of Plat that count for ltp status . I thought I was going to qualify for ltp in2015 but one of my years of Plat didn’t count because I qualified as a 2 for 1 promo they had during Great Recession. This o had 11 years as plat before I crossed the threshold.

Based on what you wrote (I could be wrong) you would need to qualify for Plat in 2018 w either 25 stays or 50 nights to achieve ltp. If that’s the case I suggest you do before they merge programs, most likely this year. M
from my understanding one needs to achieve plat 10 times on eligible bow rates to acquire plat if also crossing 500 night bar
fdem likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Dude - you keep saying "2008 was comped", what does that even mean? Frankly I think you will be in for an unfortunate surprise if you don't do your 25 stays / 50 nights this year and lock in LTP before end of year. Your chart says 9 years Platinum - do you have it in writing that you actually already have 10 years Plat?
In 2008 I status matched from Hilton diamond.Ever since I have been SPG plat.in 8 of the 10 years I have earnt it I have stayed 50 nights and on 2 occasions 51.I checked out from my 50th night for 2017 on Dec.31.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
In 2008 I status matched from Hilton diamond.Ever since I have been SPG plat.in 8 of the 10 years I have earnt it I have stayed 50 nights and on 2 occasions 51.I checked out from my 50th night for 2017 on Dec.31.
Got it - so that first matched year doesn't count towards LTP. You have 9 Plat years - good luck on your final 25 / 50 this year!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I seem to recall some years past that SPG has an anniversary date on each account so your "years of Plat" may not cycle until then. I don't think it's always at the end of each year.

Given what I've read from DrRon posts, it would be worthwhile to call SPG or contact the Lurkers for clarification. With the program dying soon I wouldn't leave it to chance. And who knows what cushion will be granted when they do the merge, close enough just might be close enough. I am 9 nights from LTP in BOTH programs that if they add them together I should qualify.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Partial Edit - misread the post.

If you've stayed 50 nights in 10 different calendar years, then I'd give SPG a few days to post, total, update, reconcile, catch-up, etc., etc., before calling them. If you've met the criteria, it's immediate - no waiting until the end of the 10th year.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I seem to recall some years past that SPG has an anniversary date on each account so your "years of Plat" may not cycle until then. I don't think it's always at the end of each year.
I remember that theory early in the LT era, but I think it's since been debunked. A call in a few days will clarify either way. Or a PM to a Lurker. But not by asking here.

Last edited by CPRich; Jan 2, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
If what you mean is that in late 2008 you matched into SPG Plat with status that lasted until end 2009 (standard match after mid year) and then you stayed enough in 09 and on each year to keep Plat then you earned Plat in 09,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17 which is 9 years. That would have you now with Plat status until end of 18 but 1 year short of LTP at this point. That would mean you need to get 50 nights or 25 stays this year (2018) again to get LTP. If, on the other hand, you had 50 nights after the match in 08 (i.e., you actually earned Plat status during 08) then you should get LTP now. There is no scenario in which you wouldn't have LTP now (other than SPG is just slow in telling you for a few more days) but would get it by just waiting. I strongly suspect based on that dashboard that your case is the first one - you really only earned Plat 9 times - but either way I'd call SPG to be sure you won't be surprised next January.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

never mind

Last edited by UA-NYC; Jan 2, 2018 at 9:24 am Reason: delete
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
I status matched in April 2008.In the rest of 2008 I managed 50 SPG nights.
By the way I have already had replies from 2 of the Lurkers over the last year..And everything is as stated.I was platinum in 2008 by status match.Each year since by nights.So 2017 was the 10th year that I stayed 50 nights.So 10 years elite as of 2017 but only 9 count for LTP.2018 is my 10th year of earnt plat.But I already have 500 nights.No definite answer from the Lurkers when the LTP will kick in.Normally your status lasts to end feb so I am hoping on 1st March it will show LTP.
By the way my story hasn't changed merely the interpretation of it.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Keep us updated. No one else has had to wait until March 1st or any other specific date. It's been within a week or two of qualifying, allowing for reconciliation, processing, etc., especially during year end.

As with the MR rollover thread, what may be missing is just a bit of patience.

A previously mentioned
give it a few days....mine changed about 4-5 days later....
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I status matched in April 2008.In the rest of 2008 I managed 50 SPG nights.
By the way I have already had replies from 2 of the Lurkers over the last year..And everything is as stated.I was platinum in 2008 by status match.Each year since by nights.So 2017 was the 10th year that I stayed 50 nights.So 10 years elite as of 2017 but only 9 count for LTP.2018 is my 10th year of earnt plat.But I already have 500 nights.No definite answer from the Lurkers when the LTP will kick in.Normally your status lasts to end feb so I am hoping on 1st March it will show LTP.
By the way my story hasn't changed merely the interpretation of it.
your dashboard changed from '2 years to plat lifetime status' to '1 year to plat lifetime status'....its unlikely that it will change further on 1st march....all signs point to you having to complete either 25 stays or 50 nights this year to complete the requirement....keep us posted if anything different happens....
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:16 am

500th night posted on 28th December. Still waiting for change on dashboard. I am assuming it is the time of year as I recall Lurker talking about it taking so many business days.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
So, who wants to bet that the new program has a defined status above Platinum (besides 75 or 100) so that all the LT Platinums are no longer the highest category? I'm rather certain it is not in their long term best interest to keep piling up legacy status without having those folks generate new business. On AA, as an example, all of the legacy LT Plats (which were already second tier) are now third tier as they created a new status between the top tier and Platinum.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Score8
So, who wants to bet that the new program has a defined status above Platinum (besides 75 or 100) so that all the LT Platinums are no longer the highest category? I'm rather certain it is not in their long term best interest to keep piling up legacy status without having those folks generate new business. On AA, as an example, all of the legacy LT Plats (which were already second tier) are now third tier as they created a new status between the top tier and Platinum.
I could see a new 100 night Diamond tier, w/a paired LT requirement (say 1,000 nights and 3MM points).

I'd also be surprised if Golds (and thus LTG) keep getting lounge access post-merger.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Sorry to be a snob, but the lounge situation is pretty bad in certain situations and needs to be more restrictive. The Sheraton New York, which used to have one of the best lounges up on the 44th floor, moved it to the first floor. It was supposedly to increase space, but I suspect they also wanted to sell those rooms on the 44th floor ultimately (which I sort of can't argue with). During school vacations, the lounge was an absolute gong show due to overcrowding. Plates and glassware everywhere you looked. I had to clear a table to find a place to sit. I suspect that the hotel's set up is part of the problem as they have a ton of Club floors/rooms, which grant access even if you are not Plat/Gold.

If they had a new Diamond Tier, I suspect that would be OK, given that the number of Diamonds competing for upgrades would be limited on a given stay. I would make the case that it sort of already exists due to behind the scenes ranking of Platinums, which determine upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.