Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Canada101
In all fairness to Marriott, all their actions so far would not lead anyone to think that they are trying to undermine Lifetime status or tier for SPG members. In fact, SPG LT Golds and Platinums are automatically matched to MR Gold and Platinum status every year.

We will have to wait and see how this plays out going forward but I would not be surprised to see a new tier above Platinum or different sets of privileges/perks that new Platinum/Gold tiers receive.
I agree that the Marriott has overall done right, though I will appreciate it when they work out their plans.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by Canada101
In all fairness to Marriott, all their actions so far would not lead anyone to think that they are trying to undermine Lifetime status or tier for SPG members. In fact, SPG LT Golds and Platinums are automatically matched to MR Gold and Platinum status every year.

We will have to wait and see how this plays out going forward but I would not be surprised to see a new tier above Platinum or different sets of privileges/perks that new Platinum/Gold tiers receive.
This is my totally speculative view on how MPG would import LT tiers from SPG:

LT SPG GOLD=> NEW LT GOLD tier (which would resemble SPG GOLD with some bells and whistles) official night requirement 250 nights
LT SPG PLAT=> NEW LT PLAT tier (A mix of features of MR GOLD/PLT and SPG PLT all watered down of course) official night requirement 500 nights
NEW LT tier PLAT+ (or Palladium or ???? ) Will be the new full top tier of MPG official night requirement: somewhere in area of 750 to 1000 nights

The matching would be done in 2 steps:
(1) In step one all SPG LT get their new corresponding LT tier
(2) In step two those LT GOLD /PLT with enough combined LT nights gets "promoted" into a new tier some GOLD might get into PLAT or PLAT+ and some PLAT might get into PLAT+ but most stay where they are.

Obviously you would perform the same type of procedure with the LT MR tiers
... maybe someone has an even better idea...

Last edited by X-ON; Apr 1, 2017 at 3:59 am
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: * Alliance Gold, oneworld Emerald, Marriott Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by X-ON

LT SPG GOLD=> NEW LT GOLD tier (which would resemble SPG GOLD with some bells and whistles) official night requirement 250 nights
LT SPG PLAT=> NEW LT PLAT tier (A mix of features of MR GOLD/PLT and SPG PLT all watered down of course) official night requirement 500 nights
NEW LT tier PLAT+ (or Palladium or ???? ) Will be the new full top tier of MPG official night requirement: somewhere in area of 750 to 1000 nights

(2) In step two those LT GOLD /PLT with enough combined LT nights gets "promoted" into a new tier some GOLD might get into PLAT or PLAT+ and some PLAT might get into PLAT+ but most stay where they are.

If this will happen, new LT Tier qualification should count the sum of SPG and MR nights. If SPG LT Gold has 260 nights with SPG and 800 nights with MR but not MR LT Plat(not enough points), then New LT Plat would be granted. New LT Plat Tier could be 1000 nights combined and LT Gold 750 nights. Not sure about what will happen to points requirement.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Jaenks
If this will happen, new LT Tier qualification should count the sum of SPG and MR nights. If SPG LT Gold has 260 nights with SPG and 800 nights with MR but not MR LT Plat(not enough points), then New LT Plat would be granted. New LT Plat Tier could be 1000 nights combined and LT Gold 750 nights. Not sure about what will happen to points requirement.
I should have been clearer: When I wrote combined nights I meant LT nights from SPG and MR ... Thanks

One comment: If MPG change LT GOLD requirements from 500 to 750 and LT PLAT from 750 to 1000 it might make some MR members a little upset, as an example if you are close to LT GOLD and all of a sudden you are not 20 nights away but 270 nights .... but it is possible ...A 1000 nights might seem like nothing here on flyertalk with all the road warriors over here but in the big scheme of things I think it is quite a high number...
I am hoping that when they add LT nights from SPG and MR they do a roll-over night calculation and add the bonus nights for the SPG accounts... maybe that is hoping too much, but that would take me way over 1000 nights with SPG

Last edited by X-ON; Apr 1, 2017 at 7:13 am
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: * Alliance Gold, oneworld Emerald, Marriott Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
I should have been clearer: When I wrote combined nights I meant LT nights from SPG and MR ... Thanks
Since the accounts are linked, there is no need for step 1. They could easily do that second option straight away and therefore those who are eligible can linked their accounts before that day, to secure a smooth transaction. Hopefully MR announce the changes soon enough.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:20 am

One comment: If MPG change LT GOLD requirements from 500 to 750 and LT PLAT from 750 to 1000 it might make some MR members a little upset, as an example if you are close to LT GOLD and all of a sudden you are not 20 nights away but 270 nights .... but it is possible ...A 1000 nights might seem like nothing here on flyertalk with all the road warriors over here but in the big scheme of things I think it is quite a high number...
I am hoping that when they add LT nights from SPG and MR they do a roll-over night calculation and add the bonus nights for the SPG accounts... maybe that is hoping too much, but that would take me way over 1000 nights with SPG
Indeed.MR members would not affected, if this would be requirement for combining accounts only and they keep the night requirements at the same level in the future. In the other hand, how many SPG LT Gold or Plat members do have 555556 or 666667 SPG points in their account?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Jaenks
Indeed.MR members would not affected, if this would be requirement for combining accounts only and they keep the night requirements at the same level in the future. In the other hand, how many SPG LT Gold or Plat members do have 555556 or 666667 SPG points in their account?
I think that when MPG is introduced all accounts both MR and SPG will be affected. This since not only SPG accounts needs to be migrated into a new program MR accounts as well. Marriott is faced with two potentially conflicting objectives
(1) You don't want to mint too many LT top-tier accounts
(2) You certainly don't want to be perceived to be moving the goal line too far away or fundamentally changing the rules of the game

With respect to (1): I think that the bigger portfolio of hotels can cushion the impact of more top-tiers, however I am sure that certain properties especially in NA can be impacted of an Elite flood

With respect to (2): This is the reason that I think that the LT tier requirement will be the common denominator between SPG and MR i.e. LT nights, they might change the definition of LT nights though and change it to actual nights at hotel etc. However I am not discounting totally some sort of variation on base points, i.e. $ spent, but I see that as quite unlikely since it may upset quite a lot of the current MR members which is not what you want to do.

Last edited by X-ON; Apr 1, 2017 at 9:57 am
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
However lifetime status in the new program is determined, I really hope that Marriott put some thought in how to keep their Lifetimers engaged, staying and spending.

This is one area where SPG hasn't excelled : Lifetimers have tended to be excluded from targeted promotions, and without the need to chase stays and nights to renew status, there's less incentive for their 'best' customers to put incremental revenue in Starwoods pocket.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:22 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
However lifetime status in the new program is determined, I really hope that Marriott put some thought in how to keep their Lifetimers engaged, staying and spending.

This is one area where SPG hasn't excelled : Lifetimers have tended to be excluded from targeted promotions, and without the need to chase stays and nights to renew status, there's less incentive for their 'best' customers to put incremental revenue in Starwoods pocket.
Well, if it is anything like their Q1 programme, I wouldn't hold my breath. I got, like most of you, what would've been the Marriott bonus on the Starwood side, and double points for my first three stays on the Marriott side. In essence, I got 2x points on my first three stays on both sides of the spectrum, and it was a big yawn all around. It didn't incentivise me to use Marriott over Starwood (as if I would). It also didn't incentivise me to stay more. Maybe I'll pull a rabbit out of my hat next week though and book an Easter holiday somewhere...
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater

I would love for it to happen this way but I will not hold my breath!

I am SPG lifetime Gold but have 600 combined nights (but no lifetime with MR due to points requirement).

I don't need top tier but would like to have lounge access. MR Gold has that, SPG Gold does not, so I still have to plug away for Plat every year. It would be nice to not have to worry about that.

I find SPG very generous with upgrades and MR very stingy.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I would love for it to happen this way but I will not hold my breath!

I am SPG lifetime Gold but have 600 combined nights (but no lifetime with MR due to points requirement).

I don't need top tier but would like to have lounge access. MR Gold has that, SPG Gold does not, so I still have to plug away for Plat every year. It would be nice to not have to worry about that.

I find SPG very generous with upgrades and MR very stingy.
Myself also LT SPG GOLD but with 800+ nights with SPG, only like 20+nights with MR though... anyway you would expect MPG to award loyalty too both MR and SPG but then again they don't want to mint too many LT Elites at least not LT top tier (at least I wouldn't ) however it will be unavoidable too promote some LT accounts its just a matter of where and how you draw the line in the sand....
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I suggest this new tier be at about 1750 nights or so, to keep out the slackers.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
I hit SPG LTP today. What can I expect? Shiny new card? Anything else?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA PP, MR LTTE, was HH/D now Gold
come on... in europe we even don't have any spg/marriott cc cards

Originally Posted by ac777
Painting the US/Canada members with the same brush does not work well. Here is an example:
US SPG Amex card holders get extra night credits on renewal of their card. Canadian card holders get nothing, zero, zilch!! irrespective of how much they spend on the card!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA PP, MR LTTE, was HH/D now Gold
^^^^

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
That list does make me really hope that whoever designs the new scheme remembers that not everyone is based in the US and has a choice of incorporating the branded credit cards into their membership.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.