Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
I'll believe it when this page is updated:

https://members.marriott.com/spg/

It still says SPG Lifetime Platinum = Lifetime Platinum Elite

According to the information you received, it should say:

SPG Lifetime Platinum = Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite

It is an encouraging sign.

Last edited by sfosyd; Apr 18, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
I would even be fine with the 750 combined night and 2MM combined point threshold too, and have said as such, but if we're going to compare apples to apples, then the MR folks should also have had to accrue 10 years elite status, and demonstrated that status by actual physical stays as the SPG side did, not credit card, meetings, etc. Starwood had a much smaller footprint than does Marriott, and those who were loyal from nearly the beginning of Starwood's inception by earning 10 years of elite status and at least 50 true nights per year have shown true loyalty, along with real revenue to the hotels.

We are now all part of the Marriott family, and I think the best way to move forward is for all of us, both legacy SPG and legacy MR customers to look out for each other in this transition, and ask how we would feel if we were in our cousin's shoes. Marriott is a time-honored respected company backed by truly admirable core values. I believe those values will shine through in the end and that fairness will win out.

I truly believe the right and just thing is for all three LTP programs (MR/RC/SPG) to be grandfathered as LTPP. All programs' LTP was difficult to earn for different reasons, and all deserve to be on equal footing in the new system.

And if that means that the LTG get bumped up to LTP, then I'm fine with that too. In a few years, all these grandfathered statuses will be curiosities, relics of those who were fortunate enough by age and profession or personal travel habits at the time to have demonstrated the required loyalty before the merger.

May it be so.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA EXEC PLAT, HERTZ PLATINUM
deleted

Last edited by emikelaw; Apr 18, 2018 at 4:03 pm Reason: incorrect
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jrothenb
I would even be fine with the 750 combined night and 2MM combined point threshold too, and have said as such, but if we're going to compare apples to apples, then the MR folks should also have had to accrue 10 years elite status, and demonstrated that status by actual physical stays as the SPG side did, not credit card, meetings, etc. Starwood had a much smaller footprint than does Marriott, and those who were loyal from nearly the beginning of Starwood's inception by earning 10 years of elite status and at least 50 true nights per year have shown true loyalty, along with real revenue to the hotels.

We are now all part of the Marriott family, and I think the best way to move forward is for all of us, both legacy SPG and legacy MR customers to look out for each other in this transition, and ask how we would feel if we were in our cousin's shoes. Marriott is a time-honored respected company backed by truly admirable core values. I believe those values will shine through in the end and that fairness will win out.

I truly believe the right and just thing is for all three LTP programs (MR/RC/SPG) to be grandfathered as LTPP. All programs' LTP was difficult to earn for different reasons, and all deserve to be on equal footing in the new system.
I'd be pretty disappointed to miss this cut if they don't use the current Marriott LTPP criteria. I'm 9 years Platinum (3 more as Gold), > 750 nights, and pretty high spend.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
I also just talked to Marriott Rewards as well.

Me: I'd like to confirm that lifetime Marriott Gold in August will receive lifetime Platinum Elite status in the new program.
Rep: Hold on, I need to research this.
<15 minute hold>
Rep: Yes, a lifetime Marriott Gold will receive Lifetime Platinum Elite Status.
Me: I'd like to confirm that a lifetime Marriott Platinum will receive Lifetime Platinum Premier Status in the new program.
<30 minute hold>
Rep: Yes, a lifetime Marriott Platinum will receive Lifetime Platinum Premier Status in the new program.
Me: OK, great. I am currently a lifetime Marriott Gold with 670 Nights as well as 1.8 million lifetime points and an SPG Platinum member with 939 nights as well as 13 years of loyalty to SPG. What happens to me?
Rep: You will receive Platinum in the new program.
Me: Is there a way to get to Platinum Premier?
Rep: Yes, you need to stay another 80 nights at Marriott properties and earn 200,000 points.
Me: Do I need to do this by August 1st?
Rep: Yes, by August 1st.
Me: So my SPG points and loyalty mean nothing?
Rep: Sir, this is the information I have.
Me: Thank you.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by wimvlb
I am Spg Lifetime plat with 1075 nights ... so I am going from being top of the line for upgrades to being third in line .. very disappointing.. Staying over 1000 nights with spg is a testament to my loyalty that I feel should have been rewarded
Wasn't the order PLT100, PLT75. PLT50, PLT, GLD? I don't think lifetime status automatically got you anything above 4th in order.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 18, 2018 at 4:24 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
You'd need 200 (making 750 LT nights) to earn MR LTP to get bumped to MPG LTPP IF they change their minds and merge the numbers before assigning status. I suspect/hope we will see some changes to acknowledge those of us that were very loyal to SPG. Personally, I'm at 493/740, so I may step over today's line just to lock it in.
To re-emphasize what some may miss in there (though it's in caps) - only if they change the rules that have been published.

Otherwise, OP would need 650 more nights to get to 750 in MR only (and also needs 2M points) to get to LT PP, the only published way of getting there.

OP - yes, 50 more nights after the merged program will get you to 600 nights and 10 years elite, so LT Platinum in the new program. So you'll hit it whenever you get 50 more nights, just different ways depending on the timing.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marriott CS Rep?
if a Marriott member and also SPG, and you have linked your accounts together that as of now, you are considered a Marriott Reward member, where as you will also be grand-fathered in Rewards as a Platinum Lifetime Premier.
I'll also believe it when it's published, as the highlighted part above is gobbledygook. A member is not LT PP just by linking their programs
Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by sfosyd
I'll believe it when this page is updated:

https://members.marriott.com/spg/

It still says SPG Lifetime Platinum = Lifetime Platinum Elite

According to the information you received, it should say:

SPG Lifetime Platinum = Platinum Premier Elite

It is an encouraging sign.
I'm guessing you mean:

Old Apr 18, 2018, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
I'm guessing you mean:

Fixed
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Originally Posted by jrothenb
I called the Marriott PLT desk one hour ago to respectfully advocate that SPG LTP either be grandfathered as the new LTPP, or offered an avenue to earn that status. The PLT agent said that they had received a number of similar calls, and that she believed there was new guidance from above, and asked me to wait on hold while she checked with Marriott Rewards supervisors. I will share exactly what I was told, and please ask that readers treat me as Sgt. Joe Friday, and know I am only sharing the facts as I received them, without any hyperbole added.

1. After checking with two separate MR supervisors and a hold time of nearly one hour, the PLT agent said she was told that SPG LTP will be grandfathered as LTPP. She said that it wouldn’t be right to not grandfather SPG LTP as LTPP when the other two LT groups (MR LTP and RC LTP) are

2. She looked specifically into my own account (with SPG LTP, only modest MR history), and assured me that I would be grandfathered into LTPP

3. She said that it’s important that SPG LTP link their status to their MR account, as this online match is apparently necessary in order to be eligible for the grandfathered status.

4. I asked if she could send me an email confirmation of this for my records. She said that she would be glad to. I have included that email below, and have redacted her personal information since she was very helpful, and I have no desire to get anyone in trouble.

This will be cross posted to both the SPG and MR FT appropriate threads. Wishing all well during these uncertain times!

“Mr. XXXXXXX,

First off, I would like to thank you for your patience today and the extreme long wait you had to endure.

Your question to me was: why under the Marriott account are the Platinum Lifetime elite members going to grand-fathered in as Platinum Lifetime Premier?

I spoke with a representative in Marriott Rewards and they explained that as of today, if a Marriott member and also SPG, and you have linked your accounts together that as of now, you are considered a Marriott Reward member, where as you will also be grand-fathered in Rewards as a Platinum Lifetime Premier.

I hope this helps.

XXXXXX XXXXXXXXX

XXXXX Platinum Desk
XXXXX###
[email protected]

Would be great if Starwood Lurker would investigate and confirm the information above.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by puntamita
Would be great if Starwood Lurker would investigate and confirm the information above.
I have even more information. To the original email I received, and to ensure no misunderstanding, I replied...

"XXXXXXX, thank you for clarifying. So could you please confirm, even though I earned Lifetime Platinum status under the SPG program, because I have linked my accounts, I will be grandfathered as a Lifetime Platinum Premier in the new program, not just Lifetime Platinum. It would be helpful if the Marriott members info web page were updated to reflect this, as it is not currently clear that SPG Lifetime Platinum are included in the Lifetime Platinum Premier grandfathering. Rather, it only lists Marriott Rewards and Ritz Carlton lifetime platinum members as receiving the status. All best, XXXXXXX"

And the response I received about 30 minutes ago was...

"Mr. XXXXXXX,

I am sorry I omitted this.

As of now, because you the SPG member has linked your accounts, you are now a Marriott Reward member.

In August your status will also be grandfathered in at Platinum Lifetime Premier.

I hope all this is a clearer picture for you.

Have a great evening.

XXXXXX XXXXXXXXX
XXXXX Platinum Desk
XXXXX###
[email protected]"
puntamita likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:48 pm

@yeunganson - how many lifetime SPG nights do you have? I wonder if they will also match SPG LTP with LTPP if one has less than 750 lifetime SPG nights.

Originally Posted by yeunganson
If this is true, I think that would be a very fair offer. Starwood doesn't have the same footprint as Marriott and those who made it to 10 years have demonstrate true loyalty backed my real revenue to the hotels by actually staying in hotels.

Some have posted because we are being acquired, those being acquired would have less benifits than those who acquired us. This logic works more in nations being conquered (and citizens can't just move) than commercial transactions. In commercial transactions, customers can move to other chains because there isn't contractual obligation to stay (unlike citizenship of a country). So it make sense the acquired customers are as valuable if not more than their own.
​​​​​​

​​​​
​​
Old Apr 18, 2018, 5:57 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
@yeunganson - how many lifetime SPG nights do you have? I wonder if they will also match SPG LTP with LTPP if one has less than 750 lifetime SPG nights.
I am in the 600 area definitely lower than 750 but with 12 years Plat.

The real fair offer is they just match all SPG Lifetime Plats to the Lifetime Platinum Premier of the new program. I think many of our nights is lower than Marriott is that Starwood has fewer hotels around. And we normally go out of our way to stay in a Starwood (at least I did) but many times you go to a city in Asia and Starwood isn't an option.

So let's see if the matching to the Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite happens in August. I read on the Mariott forum that people are doing crazy things to try to get to a the "grandfather" Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite as far as program goes. But as far as I know, the two level of difference is just 25% point bonus. You still need 50/75 nights (maybe less if you have the credit cards and gives you 15 night bonus ughhhh!) to get the Suite Night Awards - which I assume is the most valuable.

These two years of linked accounts, we didn't see a flood of competition of suite upgrades probably have to do with Marriott members finding out comped Platinum status don't come with Suite Night Awards and those Suite Night awards increased the chances of original SPG members getting upgrades when really wanted.

I am more concerned after the merge, the combined points will yield a flood of new Lifetime members. We'll see if there is overall service/experience decline for us post-merger. I still think SPG members will stick to their favorite hotels because the staff knows them and hopefully hotel keeps the discretionary powers to go beyond what the loyalty program allows and comp the most frequent guests (that's what my experience in Japan yielded)

Last edited by yeunganson; Apr 18, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:00 pm

The more I read about this the more the problem seems to be the grandfathering of a tier that nobody will be able to achieve in the future. What about an 8 or 9 year platinum with >750 nights (or 732 nights...) who is 1 year away from earning LTP? They will likely just always feel bad that they aren't LTPP.

MR should just make it an achievable status level, which would remove a lot of the pressure, or be very generous at allowing requests from people who are the margins to be included.

Last edited by mk89103; Apr 18, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.