Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
It can take up to 7 business days from the day you qualified for your Lifetime Platinum status to be picked up by the system.

Starwood / Marriott merger
Q : What will happen to my Lifetime Status when the programs merge together in the future?
A : Rest assured we will always recognize your Lifetime Status, whether it is today in your earned program or in the future with a new, combined program.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-will-happen-to-my-lifetime-status-when-the-programs-merge-together-in-the-future
Print Wikipost

Discussion: SPG Lifetime™ Gold and SPG Lifetime™ Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mk89103
I find it incredible that there's been no statement or clarification from Marriott or SPG on this topic yet, despite such intense speculation.
My Ambassador got this question from multiple people and has passed it along to those higher up. Remember that this was just the first announcement and they have several more months to work out the details and to address issues which they did not think about or did not consider for whatever reason. I am sure we will get confirmation one way or the other as time goes by and they work through the issues raised.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mk89103
I find it incredible that there's been no statement or clarification from Marriott or SPG on this topic yet, despite such intense speculation.
Not surprising at all. Especially given MR does not believe in FT and rarely, if at all, monitors FT. If you want to get their attention then sign into Marriott Insiders and post the question there. I bet the Lurkers are probably a step or two in front of us, but also inundated with requests and will need a few days to catch up with FT posts.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:06 pm

I, like everyone else, will have to wait and see. Thank you for the input. Fingers crossed.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:10 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I still don't have an answer to what happens to the lounge access guaranteed at Sheratons because of my SPG Business Amex card. I paid for this card based on this specific benefit....
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by Vulcan
I still don't have an answer to what happens to the lounge access guaranteed at Sheratons because of my SPG Business Amex card. I paid for this card based on this specific benefit....
this benefit is being eliminated as of 8/1.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sfosyd
If this is the case, which I don't think it is, it means that some SPG Plats will have a path to lifetime PP because their SPG nights and points would transfer to legacy Marriott allowing them to be grandfathered in through the legacy platinum requirements. According to the web site, Lifetime SPG Gold equals Lifetime Gold in the new program not lifetime Marriott Gold which equals lifetime Plat. I believe that in the case you describe above, you will be lifetime Gold in the new program and not lifetime Plat.

You would then have to meet the requirements for Lifetime Plat under the new program which is 10 years of being Platinum and 750 nights. If at any year you reached platinum during your SPG years those years would count toward the 10 and of course your 500 nights would count towards the 750. Points do not matter at all.

Can someone clarify?
The case in question does not really involve SPG LTG status. The merged program will merge nights and points from both programs, and then in 4Q 2018 when requirements for total LT years, nights and points are met, then OP will qualify for LT Plat Elite. MR LTP status does not require min years of being MR Plat, whereas SPG requires 10 years of SPG Plat, which is more stringent.

What is not clear is whether there is any path for SPG LTP to attain LT Plat Premier Elite status in the new program. As you said, I'd be pissed if my combined nights and points meet current MR LTP requirements, but I don't have a way to reach LT Plat Premier Elite.
damon88 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
Originally Posted by FlyAAlot
Hi Folks,

I'm not sure if this has been answered, so I apologize if it has...In August, when they merge our accounts, if we then quality for MR lifetime status based on combined nights and points, will we get MR Lifetime status and then at the end of the year the equivalent new program lifetime status? For example, I'm LT SPG Gold with no LT status in MR. However, my combined nights will put me over 500, and with 800,000 current SPG points, at a 3:1 transfer rate, I'll have well over 1.6 million points in MR. Will I then get LT MR Gold, which translates at the end of 2018 to LT Platinum Elite in the new program?

Thank you for your input.
You are referring to this case, right?

I don't think they will get the legacy Marriott Gold LT status (which maps to LT Plat in the new program) when they merge all of their SPG nights/points into the new account in August. They will get whatever they are entitled to in the new program but would need 10 years of Platinum status in either program and 750 nights between both programs. Points won't matter.

Am I missing something?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by CIT85
What is not clear is whether there is any path for SPG LTP to attain LT Plat Premier Elite status in the new program. As you said, I'd be pissed if my combined nights and points meet current MR LTP requirements, but I don't have a way to reach LT Plat Premier Elite.
- It sucks of not having a way for long time loyal SPG members to achieve LT Plat Premier while it will be automatic for current Marriott LT PLT.
It sucks even more to realize that if I cancel all my award reservations made with SPG points, multiply that by 3 and combine with minor lifetime Marriott points, I will be at about 2,000,000 Marriott points in the combined account. This is in addition to 168,000K SPG points (x3=504,000 Marriott points) I burned last year alone. (and having 764 life time nights with SPG alone).
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sfosyd
You are referring to this case, right?

I don't think they will get the legacy Marriott Gold LT status (which maps to LT Plat in the new program) when they merge all of their SPG nights/points into the new account in August. They will get whatever they are entitled to in the new program but would need 10 years of Platinum status in either program and 750 nights between both programs. Points won't matter.

Am I missing something?
Yes that's the case I'm referring to. The initial mapping of SPG LTG to new program is not important, so I discounted that. What is not clear is once the programs merge, and the nights and points are totaled, what do they do about years of Plat requirement. You're right that the combined totals must meet requirements of new program LT Plat Elite status.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by dshafiee
That would work if they can bring LT points over to the Marriott side from SPG. Are they going to do that?
The old rules for qualifying for Marriott LT Platinum did not include adding nights from the SPG program, so no.

The "old rules" are the old rules. They aren't "the old rule plus some new stuff"

Originally Posted by damon88
The problem is highlighted in the post below yours. Will they be able to calculate Lifetime Marriott points for Starwood members?
The Lifetime Marriott points that any member has are listed in their Marriott profile. That's true whether or not you are also an SPG member. It's no harder if you are a member in both legacy programs.

Originally Posted by damon88
It is easy enough to say we must have 750+ nights, but what about the spend under current Marriott rules?

I only have 200000 Lifetime Marriott points but if you take my lifetime Starwood points and multiply by 3 I probably have 20 Million!
Then you have 200,000 Marriott points. Your SPG points have never had anything to do with your legacy MR balance for earning MR LT status.
yurtripper likes this.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 17, 2018 at 4:11 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is not clear is whether they will combine the SPG and MR lifetime nights and points on July 31 and then on Aug. 1 promote SPG LTP to MR LTP if the combined accounts have over 750 nights and 2MM MR points for the purpose of grandfathering to LT Plat Premier Elite.
IMHO, I think it's pretty clear this will not happen. No matter how many people ask, re-ask, and rephrase the question. There are 2 tables - Legacy status mapping and go-foward earning.

It is also not clear if the new program has a way for members to achieve LT Plat Premier Elite after the original launch and MR LTP are grandfathered, since the requirements are not stated.
Also pretty clear to me - no.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyAAlot
I'm not sure if this has been answered, so I apologize if it has...In August, when they merge our accounts, if we then quality for MR lifetime status based on combined nights and points, will we get MR Lifetime status and then at the end of the year the equivalent new program lifetime status? For example, I'm LT SPG Gold with no LT status in MR. However, my combined nights will put me over 500, and with 800,000 current SPG points, at a 3:1 transfer rate, I'll have well over 1.6 million points in MR. Will I then get LT MR Gold, which translates at the end of 2018 to LT Platinum Elite in the new program?
Your LT status in either program maps to a LT status you get from the combined program. You are SPG LT Gold, you will become NewProg LT Gold.

Your combined nights, years, etc., are combined to see if you earn LT status from the new program guidelines. If your "over 500" is over 600, and you have 10 years of earned Platinum between the programs, you will earn LT Platinum. If not, that's your target. Points is not a criterion in the new program, so 1.6M doesn't factor in.

The way I read the details, yes, you will then be LT Plat Elite in the new program once the 2 programs are combined.
Please explain what details you are reading that disagrees with the above.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by CPRich
IMHO, I think it's pretty clear this will not happen. No matter how many people ask, re-ask, and rephrase the question. There are 2 tables - Legacy status mapping and go-foward earning.
Yes. It's clear from reading this thread that hope is the last thing that dies (accompanied by plaintive howling from mournful SPG LTPs, as they concoct ever more intricate schemes for how they might sneak into LTPPE).

And let's not even talk about how bad LTGs have it.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, I think it's clear the answer is no. And yes, quite a few people are upset about it. And yes, it's very possible that it will change, given the feedback. But as of now - no.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 17, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is not clear is once the programs merge, and the nights and points are totaled, what do they do about years of Plat requirement. You're right that the combined totals must meet requirements of new program LT Plat Elite status.
In the new requirements points don't matter, so take that off the table.

Combined nights are pretty clear.

Years at PLT will be, I believe, the sum of years earning PLT in either program over your history. If you earn PLT in both in one year, it will count as 2.

So if you have >600 nights total, earned PLT in MR 6 times and PLT in SPG 4 times, you will qualify under the new program for LT PLT, as you have 600 nights and 10 years as PLT.

Even if all 4 of those SPG years overlapped with the 6 MR years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.