Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
I had 48 paid nights, 1 award night in June, 9 FRN nights in Nov and 10 nights from SPG Amex cards. I was told by SPG platinum online chat agent that I only had 48 nights last year and that they are going through a system upgrade so if I dont see the correct number of nights by March 1st, I was asked to call them then. I think I qualify for 10 suite nights. Am I right?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
I still didn't get a real answer about the "all-suite" properties.

1) Do all properties have to participate in this benefit?

2) Assuming the answer to #1 is "yes," how do all suites work. Do they give a room with a higher floor and say "it's a suite at. Higher level - enjoy" or do they really go with the intentions of the benifits and bump them to the next suite level.

3) Slightly OT: If you book a "standard suite," can you use these suite nights to get into a higher-caliber suite for the night(s)?

Lurkers....? Thanks!!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC MM, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by ariyo15
I still didn't get a real answer about the "all-suite" properties.

1) Do all properties have to participate in this benefit?

2) Assuming the answer to #1 is "yes," how do all suites work. Do they give a room with a higher floor and say "it's a suite at. Higher level - enjoy" or do they really go with the intentions of the benifits and bump them to the next suite level.

3) Slightly OT: If you book a "standard suite," can you use these suite nights to get into a higher-caliber suite for the night(s)?

Lurkers....? Thanks!!
Isn't this kind of like picking the free breakfast for your amenity at a location that has a club lounge that includes breakfast?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:44 pm

This thread is living proof that elite-level members do have a complete sense of self-entitlement.

For the record, I don't know for sure if I did 50 nights in 2011 or not. I was somewhere in the ballpark but don't recall what the exact number was.

If I didn't qualify and others did, good for them. They stayed more than I did with Starwood and Starwood should reward its most loyal customers. After all, they could have just rolled this out starting in 2013 with 2012 as the first qualifying year. Instead I think they are being very generous applying it to 2011.

For those who stayed a substantial number of nights in 2011, but fewer than 50 - 24 hours ago you probably thought Starwood was a good program. If you feel different now with these new improvements to the program, just move on.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by NoSevens
After all, they could have just rolled this out starting in 2013 with 2012 as the first qualifying year.
That's exactly what they should have done.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by RichMSN
That's exactly what they should have done.
So since you didn't get this benefit, no one should? Wow.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, United Premierl Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I agree. I am 30 nights away from lifetime platinum which I will easily have this year, but because I only had 46 nights last year I will now go without the suite upgrades because of 4 nights that had I known Of the changes i would have easily done some mattress runs.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA Premier
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
It never ceases to amaze me that companies can shoot themselves in the foot with an announcement that should be exclusively positive by not focusing on the details. Is there not anyone in Starwood with the common sense to know that when you take a group of people that were otherwise branded as being comparable, and you shower one with unexpected rewards and the other with nothing that you are going to have hurt feelings?.
ExitRowAisle, I fully agree.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:12 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by NoSevens
So since you didn't get this benefit, no one should? Wow.
Yup, talk about sour grapes. Pitiful indeed.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
As someone who is no longer top tier, I am disappointed in the change. Not angry, just disappointed, especially considering how close to 50 I was.

I'm not saying it wasn't the right move by Starwood. But why would anyone be surprised that my group isn't happy with the change?

PS I still think Starwood is the best program. Whether low tier Platinum is worth the extra effort is something I'll know when I see how my upgrade percentage changes.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i love this new addition to the program....while i didn't get close to 50 nights last year (thanks to a broken leg leading to 5-6 months of no travel), i will easily cross 50 nights this years & every year in the near future, barring some unforeseen circumstances....^^
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do these apply to hotels outside of the US?

Also, from what I understand from reading this thread, if you request the upgrade prior to 5 days out, you still choose from a list of room types, but the system does not begin checking if that room type is available until 5 days prior. Well what if the room type I selected is not available, but another type is? WIll I automatically be upgraded, or can I manually switch to that room type during the 5 day window?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:52 pm

I suppose this reward will not apply to those of us who reach platinum through the platinum challenge?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
starwood should've just renamed the 50 night+ platinums to

SPG Platinum Plus

Starwood Preferred Guest
Starwood Preferred Plus
Starwood Gold
Starwood Platinum
Starwood Platinum Plus
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jammanxc
starwood should've just renamed the 50 night+ platinums to

SPG Platinum Plus

Starwood Preferred Guest
Starwood Preferred Plus
Starwood Gold
Starwood Platinum
Starwood Platinum Plus
Don't forget

Starwood Platinum Plus Plus

Starwood Platinum Plus Plus Plus = Starwood Platinum Ambassador (and perhaps some Starwood Ambassadors if there are some people who have Ambassadors from before but have not qualified for Platinum)

Yesterday Platinum was the top published tier in SPG and today it is the fourth published tier from the top. It's not even the new Gold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.