Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, Amex Plat, CSP. FAA Rotorcraft PPL
I just had some great SNA success over the weekend at the W South Beach, booking a last minute trip to Miami and upgrading from the cheapest room ($800+tax via Amex FHR) to an oasis suite ($1200+tax on FHR). Fri-sun, the hotel was almost fully occupied according to the front desk staff. The upgrades cleared at 2PM the day after I booked (4 days out). This is one of the few suits that sleeps 4 people at the property. It saved me $800 as I would have had to cancel the "cheap" booking and shell out for the suite otherwise.

Last weekend, at the notorious SLS Beverly hills SNAs did not clear and no upgrade at checking. The W experience this weekend well made up for that though.

If this isn't the best thread to post SNA success/fail reports please yell at me.

Last edited by salanki; Feb 2, 2015 at 5:13 pm Reason: Remove newline
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
I mean this with no disrespect, and I'm genuinely curious.

If the SNAs give so much grief, why continue to stay with Starwood hotels to hit 50 nights? By some accounts here, the footprint isn't all that great, and there's usually an option for another chain wherever you are. Benefits are too inconsistent for some, and there seem to be some chains where benefits seem much better. Hyatt is frequently mentioned, with it's confirmed upgrades.

So why continue to support Starwood? As someone mentioned, fool-me-once. So if you're fooled twice, then why gripe and gripe? Isn't the whole idea to vote with your wallet? In fact doing that might even results in improvements when revenue starts to dip...

And it doesn't mean you won't ever stay in a Starwood hotel again; just that you may not want to make the effort to hit 50 or even 25.

So, why?
Starwood has more locations.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not gonna happen...quote from Chris Holdren in Gary's follow-up post:

I asked specifically about rumors I had heard, whether members “could choose points or redemption discounts instead” and he notes that members aren’t going to be offered “a percent off redemption or bonus point option.”

So....other guesses?
Bummer. Was hoping for another 35% off award redemption option. Got me stumped on what it will be.

Can't say I'm overly thrilled with SNAs but on the other hand I tend to get upgraded pretty well with SPG Internationally so really don't need the SNAs except in the USA (when I really don't care if I'm in a suite or not). So all in all if this other option is decent, Ill likely take it in lieu of the SNAs.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:17 pm

I'm in your boat, so far most of my travels in China I'm hitting 100% upgrade (minus Taipei), but by reading this forum looks like USA SW properties aren't as generous, LOL, I will save up my SNAs to spend in USA.

I'm already Hilton Gold and I have to say for the little things Hilton is doing very well compare to SW (but no upgrades so far), or maybe I'm just lucky with the properties I've stayed at (their forum is just as groom and doom as this one trashing one Hilton property after another)
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:57 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I'm already Hilton Gold and I have to say for the little things Hilton is doing very well compare to SW (but no upgrades so far), or maybe I'm just lucky with the properties I've stayed at (their forum is just as groom and doom as this one trashing one Hilton property after another)
Not to take this thread completely off topic, but as a Hilton Gold I've been upgraded to a suite at the Hilton Beijing Airport on nearly every stay. (My SPG upgrade percentage in China and elsewhere in Asia is similarly quite high, without using SNAs, but suite upgrades are a stated benefit of SPG Platinum status and are not for Hilton Gold status.)
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by merrickdb
Not to take this thread completely off topic, but as a Hilton Gold I've been upgraded to a suite at the Hilton Beijing Airport on nearly every stay. (My SPG upgrade percentage in China and elsewhere in Asia is similarly quite high, without using SNAs, but suite upgrades are a stated benefit of SPG Platinum status and are not for Hilton Gold status.)
I had suite upgrades as SPD gold.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:07 am

China simply blows the west away in benefits, they simply get it, no wonder China is rising.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
currently going through an extremely frustrating experience with suite nights....i have a 2 night brg reservation for next week where i requested suite nights....i wanted to use them for only one particular type of suite so i only ticked that box....

this morning i get an email letting me know that my suite nights have been confirmed....but not for the suite that i had picked....they have been confirmed for a superior room (not even a suite)....the frustrating bit is that i cannot cancel the suite nights now unless i cancel the entire reservation....this way i would lose out on my brg rate as it is not available anymore....

so my choices are to either cancel the reservation & lose out on the rate (if i book the same room on spg.com now then its more than double the price) or to lose 2 suite nights for a room i made sure i did not request in the first place....neither options seem fair at all....
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
currently going through an extremely frustrating experience with suite nights....i have a 2 night brg reservation for next week where i requested suite nights....i wanted to use them for only one particular type of suite so i only ticked that box....

this morning i get an email letting me know that my suite nights have been confirmed....but not for the suite that i had picked....they have been confirmed for a superior room (not even a suite)....the frustrating bit is that i cannot cancel the suite nights now unless i cancel the entire reservation....this way i would lose out on my brg rate as it is not available anymore....

so my choices are to either cancel the reservation & lose out on the rate (if i book the same room on spg.com now then its more than double the price) or to lose 2 suite nights for a room i made sure i did not request in the first place....neither options seem fair at all....
How odd...what is the point of selecting a particular suite if the system can override you?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Since you do have time, send a PM to the Lurkers and see if they can help sort this out for you. Send them your confirmation number and they can look at what happened.

My bet is the SNA cleared and then the property processed Plat Upgrades. Oooops.

Last edited by RogerD408; Feb 7, 2015 at 2:30 pm Reason: added afterthought.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold

What I think happened here is that you were successfully upgraded to whatever you chose, then the hotel downgraded you to the superior room. I might be wrong.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
What I think happened here is that you were successfully upgraded to whatever you chose, then the hotel downgraded you to the superior room. I might be wrong.
That sounds likely to me as well. Happened to me last year and a quick call to the hotel soon sorted it out in my case.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
this is actually the second time this has happened to me....i sent an email to my ambassador to follow up & will also get in touch with the lurkers on monday....
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:02 am

this is actually the second time this has happened to me....i sent an email to my ambassador to follow up & will also get in touch with the lurkers on monday....
Total fail. Hopefully common sense will prevail. All someone has to do is put you into the suite you wanted (or better), and problem solved.

Cheers,
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by RAPC
That sounds likely to me as well. Happened to me last year and a quick call to the hotel soon sorted it out in my case.

I'd be curious to hear when the hotels can and would do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.