Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Keyser
is it a select standard suite????you can't book specialty suites with a sna....
A few hotels let you pick specialty suites. I've done it with an outstanding outcome.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
I am lifetime plat. Have been a fan of Starwood for a long time. The SNA is one of the worst "benefits". The program has actually made me look into Hilton. I have only had success internaltional with SNA. International seems to get it. Large cities in the US do not. Starwood either needs to figure out SNA or discontinue. I believe it upsets more people than it benefits. I have 16 out of 20 left that expire at the end of the year. I have tried for over a year to use. I am already over 56 nights this year. Is that not an issue?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A few hotels let you pick specialty suites. I've done it with an outstanding outcome.
i've never come across this personally but good to know that this option is available with some properties....
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:29 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Any European or Asian properties you can recommend?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by remymartin
Any European or Asian properties you can recommend?
W taipei, amongst many other W's.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:26 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
W taipei, amongst many other W's.
The specialty suite being E WOW or WOW or something like that?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by puntamita
I am lifetime plat. Have been a fan of Starwood for a long time. The SNA is one of the worst "benefits". The program has actually made me look into Hilton. I have only had success internaltional with SNA. International seems to get it. Large cities in the US do not. Starwood either needs to figure out SNA or discontinue. I believe it upsets more people than it benefits. I have 16 out of 20 left that expire at the end of the year. I have tried for over a year to use. I am already over 56 nights this year. Is that not an issue?
I've had similar issues. Be nice if maybe if we can't use them, that SPG allows them to be converted to some points or something.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chanp
I've had similar issues. Be nice if maybe if we can't use them, that SPG allows them to be converted to some points or something.
I can understand SPG not wanting to have people hoard lots and lots of SNAs, but it would seem appropriate to allow some of them to be extended given the difficulties some people have been having in trying to use them.

It would also help if the "why SNAs can't be applied to this reservation" box gave a specific reason rather than the generic laundry list, thereby leading to frustration when one knows that there should be SNAs at that property.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
New information to me

Something I was not aware of, not sure if it's common knowledge or not to everyone - SNAs can still process even if the room type for SNAs isn't visible to you online (as in, you can't see it for sale, and thus you think it's not available). A room being sold at the Rack rate is a good example of this - won't show online, yet a SNA can still process into it if available.

Curious if anyone has any examples of this happening? Would give me some hope for my stay next week
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Something I was not aware of, not sure if it's common knowledge or not to everyone - SNAs can still process even if the room type for SNAs isn't visible to you online (as in, you can't see it for sale, and thus you think it's not available). A room being sold at the Rack rate is a good example of this - won't show online, yet a SNA can still process into it if available.

Curious if anyone has any examples of this happening? Would give me some hope for my stay next week
Some hotels don't seem to make (all of) their suite inventory visible on line but rather ask you to contact them to book especially their specialty suites. If those suite types are eligible for SNA use, you could get a very nice surprise this way.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Some hotels don't seem to make (all of) their suite inventory visible on line but rather ask you to contact them to book especially their specialty suites. If those suite types are eligible for SNA use, you could get a very nice surprise this way.
A good point - but in my upcoming case, it's the reverse...the base level (SNA) room is "invisible", but all the higher-level, non-SNA suites are available online.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:36 pm

Trying to decide if a mattress run is worth my time (and money). If I make 50 nights this year, when would my SNAs expire?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
A good point - but in my upcoming case, it's the reverse...the base level (SNA) room is "invisible", but all the higher-level, non-SNA suites are available online.
Have you looked at different dates--i.e., try to make a dummy booking at an expensive rate--to see whether the standard suite availability is hidden? Alternatively, could the hotel be using different names for room categories in different places on the internet? (This seems to happen and I find it very confusing. In fact, sometimes the Plat Concierge sees different names for the room categories.)
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nall
Trying to decide if a mattress run is worth my time (and money). If I make 50 nights this year, when would my SNAs expire?
Dec 31, '14. Not worth it IMO given the issues and difficulties many of us have faced.

Plat 75 is worth it if close though.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you looked at different dates--i.e., try to make a dummy booking at an expensive rate--to see whether the standard suite availability is hidden? Alternatively, could the hotel be using different names for room categories in different places on the internet? (This seems to happen and I find it very confusing. In fact, sometimes the Plat Concierge sees different names for the room categories.)
After the summer travel season, it goes back to a regular rate and is bookable online. This change to the Rack rate for this one (and only) SNA room just happened in the past couple days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.