Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[PROMO] SPG Better by the Night (through April 8, 2012)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PROMO] SPG Better by the Night (through April 8, 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
I also find it incredible that there is not one Starwood hotel at all now in New Zealand. WOW - oh well I guess I will have to visit IHG when I am there .
We ended up very happy at several Best Westerns in NZ.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:16 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by AirD0c
Are the promo points supposed to post immediately? I just completed a 4 night stay at a participating hotel and had registered for the promo but I only got my usual 3x points as a gold. Should I contact CS or is there typically a delay?
Terms and Conditions are here, and they are linked in the first post of the thread, and clearly state the answer to your question.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by AirD0c
Are the promo points supposed to post immediately? I just completed a 4 night stay at a participating hotel and had registered for the promo but I only got my usual 3x points as a gold. Should I contact CS or is there typically a delay?
Usually the points are posted the Saturday following your completed stay.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: A3 gld, BA bron, KL silv, 6C plat, EH silv, EM, GT, HY, NH, NS, RT, SH, SW gold, BW, WY
Purely because this is the only way I can think of to feed back comments to SPG, I'd like to say that I think this was completely the wrong time of year to run this promotion. In the winter months I do business trips and two night stays are rare; three night stays are non-existent. However, in the summer I might well use this promotion for a leisure stay. All things considered, I think its a weak promotion. I'm starting the year with Hhonors as a result.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:05 pm

In a word....shizenhousen

Spending the next few weeks in Australia, Malaysia and Indonesia
Then onto conference in Munich.
Rebooked a total of 31 nights into Marriott. Life is too short to whine!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
For me this will be plenty of nights for the others.....

Europe is a typical one night stays region and Asia is not in the game anyway
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Hopefully Q"2 or Q3 promo is something like stays count double !
Or free nights ( in any hotel ) for any 2 or 3 stays.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
Originally Posted by lhr baby
Purely because this is the only way I can think of to feed back comments to SPG, I'd like to say that I think this was completely the wrong time of year to run this promotion. In the winter months I do business trips and two night stays are rare; three night stays are non-existent. However, in the summer I might well use this promotion for a leisure stay.
No. I think you are wrong. This was the best time of the year for it because I am staying four to five nights at relatively high revenue hotels every week in the US this quarter. This was the best time for this promotion.

(Full of and )
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by gdemander
No. I think you are wrong. This was the best time of the year for it because I am staying four to five nights at relatively high revenue hotels every week in the US this quarter. This was the best time for this promotion.

(Full of and )
+1. Since promotions are designed to drive revenue and with the winter being one of the slower periods of the year this promotion serves a good purpose. Granted it doesn't help everyone but not all promotions do.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bertheike
Hopefully Q"2 or Q3 promo is something like stays count double !
Or free nights ( in any hotel ) for any 2 or 3 stays.
stays count double is usually the last promo of the year but last year spg didn't offer it so there is no guarantee it will be offered again this year....
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by ikonos
How many points/$ do you get with this promo for being a Gold/Plat and have a 3 night stay? Is it (2 base points * 3 ) + 1 bonus for being gold/plat for a total of 7pts/$? Or is it 9 points total (2 base + 1 elite) * 3 ignoring the points you get for paying with a SPG Amex?
Bumping an old question here. Anyone know the above? I'm trying to decide if I'm better off hotel hopping quickly to get to Plat, or take advantage of BBTN promo. It's a 3 night stay I need soon, so I'd get triple if I don't hotel hop (another SPG prop 2 blocks away). Thoughts?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by DavidAL
Bumping an old question here. Anyone know the above? I'm trying to decide if I'm better off hotel hopping quickly to get to Plat, or take advantage of BBTN promo. It's a 3 night stay I need soon, so I'd get triple if I don't hotel hop (another SPG prop 2 blocks away). Thoughts?
Read post 66 by sdsearch
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The math is more obvious if you're Plat than if you're Gold.

As a Plat:

Hotel-hopping, you get the 500-point Plat welcome amenity on every night (unless you choose something else). Staying in one hotel, you get the double points (but not on your plat bonus) if it's two nights, triple points if it's three nights.

Ok, so the math: Your rate has to be over $250/night for you to come out with more points from this promo staying two nights at the same hotel, instead of hotel hopping and staying only one night at each hotel. Your rate has to be over $125/night for you to come out with more points from this promo staying three nights at the same hotel, instead of hotel hopping and staying only one night at each hotel.

So if you're budget conscious, yet want to earn maximum points, and are somewhere where there's choice of SPG properties with decent rates (below $250), and you only need two nights, ignore this promo and hotel hop if you don't mind doing that. You'll come ahead!

At three nights, it may get more even, assuming you're not staying for way under $125/night. (But it still depends if you're planning to requalify on points or stays, of course. If the latter, be happy that you don't lose much still on 3 nights by hopping instead of using this promo.)

It's only on stays that are longer (or more expensive) that the promo clearly trumps the 500 point welcome amenity (per night, if you hopped).

(Obviously, there are places where you can't hop, and also for many people convenience may trump earning the max SPG points. In those cases, though, the math presumably doesn't matter.)

But I am amazed at how bad a deal this promo is for someone who is Plat and only needs two to three nights in inexpensive places and has the option of hotel hopping (and doesn't mind it).
Originally Posted by DavidAL
Originally Posted by 1K+
Read post 66 by sdsearch
I am not sure about the above math.

for a 3 night stay as platinum member any rate above $ 83.33/ night would make staying at one property better than hopping.

you just simply need to equate none hopping with hopping to determine the critical rate

so let X be the amount in US dollars

for staying 3 nights at the same property, a platinum member will get a total *points of

(X*7*3)+500

for staying at 3 different hotels ( hopping), a platinum member will get a total *point of

(X*3*3)+1500

make the two stays equal to determine X

(X*7*3)+500 = (X*3*3)+1500

X = $83.33/night

so, for any rate above $83.33/night staying at the same property will yield more points. any rate below $83.33/ night hotel hopping will yield more points.

the above equation can be modified to take into account SPG Amex CC, currency conversion rate , number of night etc..
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
First promotion by SPG in many years that does nothing for me.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by KSA_USA
the above equation can be modified to take into account SPG Amex CC, currency conversion rate , number of night etc..
And green choice ... unless there is a promo that gives a bonus by STAY, the points a platinum would get for one long stay versus hopping wouldn't be any different (assuming the rates are the same). This promo obviously tips the balance to stays of 3 nights or longer. For non-platinums you could actually get more points by NOT hopping by taking advantage of green choice.

To determine if it's worth hopping to get platinum status faster, that really depends on your stay habits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.