SPG-to-Airline EXPEDITED Transfer

 
Old Jan 1, 12, 1:56 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Cleveland
Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Posts: 5,054
SPG-to-Airline EXPEDITED Transfer

Waiting 2-4 weeks for a transfer when the airline FFPs allow either NO courtesy holds or 1-3 days max, really makes leveraging SPG points for airline awards challenging.

I know that for 3500 points, SPG will CONSIDER expediting UA, AA and BA within 3-5 business days. But even THAT expedite window does not address the required speed for us to secure our award tins.

Clearly, the technology for faster and broader (what about the other 27 SPG airline partners) EXISTS as AMEX transfers points in most instances in real time and worse case scenario 1-2 days (ie- AZ, NH). And Amex goes faster AND for FREE.

At this point, I am willing to PAY points or cash for the privilege of an expedite fee, but
* it needs to be a guaranteed transfer time, not a window
* max transfer time no more than 48 hours
* it needs to cover most, if not all partners
* done on an as-demanded basis, not as an emergency only measure

I would be grateful for the feedback of Starwood Lurker I and II.
beaubo is offline  
Old Jan 1, 12, 3:20 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
OP started a similar thread a few years ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...s-service.html

I had no enthusiasm for the idea then, nor now.
3Cforme is offline  
Old Jan 1, 12, 3:28 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Cleveland
Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Posts: 5,054
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
OP started a similar thread a few years ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...s-service.html

I had no enthusiasm for the idea then, nor now.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/8435541-post9.html
hopefully, this will be encouraging!
beaubo is offline  
Old Jan 1, 12, 3:59 pm
  #4  
In memoriam
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,020
While it would be nice to expedite transfers of SPG points, it doesn't appear to be on the horizon.

IIRC SPG transfers post on the following Thursday after the transfer request is made.
biggestbopper is offline  
Old Jan 1, 12, 6:38 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 11,455
Originally Posted by biggestbopper View Post
....IIRC SPG transfers post on the following Thursday after the transfer request is made.
It depends on the airlines. Some airlines, such as CX, only process partner credits twice a [email protected]:-) Your transfer can credit in two days or fifteen days later.

I think this is beating a dead horse. Each airlines has a different process. Yes, some airlines still work on printed paper report and manual reconciliation for partner credits. It will be so complicated with different timeline, different surcharge and different expedited procedures, that it is simply not feasible. SPG currently has 30 transfer partners which means potentially 30 different expedited surcharges, procedures and guarantees.

Last edited by TerryK; Jan 1, 12 at 8:21 pm
TerryK is offline  
Old Jan 1, 12, 6:55 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Posts: 3,173
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
It depends on the airlines. Some airlines, such as CX, only process partner credits twice a [email protected]:-) Your transfer can credit in two days or fifteen days later.
Exactly. NZ process SPG credits on 2nd and 16th of each month so it's quite predictable when I will get my points. Expedited transfer doesn't seem to me like an issue worth investing in.
Xiaotung is offline  
Old Jan 3, 12, 4:48 am
  #7  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Singapore
Programs: SPG
Posts: 4,002
TerryK probably has provided the reasons for not being able to expedite transfers of SPG points to every Airline FFP as desired.

That being said, we do appreciate your feedback but we have been informed that the time taken for the process and the procedure itself have been decided by individual FFPs.

William, what do you think?

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Social Media Specialist
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Starwood Lurker II is offline  
Old Jan 3, 12, 12:50 pm
  #8  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II View Post
.

William, what do you think?...
That this:

At this point, I am willing to PAY points or cash for the privilege of an expedite fee, but
* it needs to be a guaranteed transfer time, not a window
* max transfer time no more than 48 hours
* it needs to cover most, if not all partners
* done on an as-demanded basis, not as an emergency only measure
Is expecting too much the way expedition is set up currently. First, it requires that a supervisor in SPG approves of such an expedited transfer, Then, once approved, the process is a bit out of our hands and in the hands of the individual airline to complete.

This, however, is not that unreasonable:

Clearly, the technology for faster and broader (what about the other 27 SPG airline partners) EXISTS as AMEX transfers points in most instances in real time and worse case scenario 1-2 days (ie- AZ, NH). And Amex goes faster AND for FREE.
But, it requires agreement and institution by our airline partners. Unfortunately, the only marketing partner that has agreed and instituted it is AMEX Membership Rewards, so until we can get an airline partner to also dance with us, it's going to be according to the agreements they are willing to sign and institute with us.

Suffice to say, if we can accommodate AMEX Membership Rewards with instantaneous transfers, we probably can do so with any airlines that would be interested as well.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Jan 3, 12, 3:41 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: AUS / DXB
Programs: AA EXP (1 MM) | BA Silver | SPG Plat | Former EK Gold, CO Plat and AF Gold | Global Entry
Posts: 1,836
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
Suffice to say, if we can accommodate AMEX Membership Rewards with instantaneous transfers, we probably can do so with any airlines that would be interested as well.
Similarly, if AMEX MR and almost all of its frequent travel partners can accomodate instantaneous transfers, SPG can probably do so as well with those same partners.
Hyperacusis is offline  
Old Jan 3, 12, 4:27 pm
  #10  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis View Post
Similarly, if AMEX MR and almost all of its frequent travel partners can accomodate instantaneous transfers, SPG can probably do so as well with those same partners.
I think we are saying the same thing here. So, we'll have to see if they have an interest going forward.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Jan 3, 12, 5:27 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: AUS / DXB
Programs: AA EXP (1 MM) | BA Silver | SPG Plat | Former EK Gold, CO Plat and AF Gold | Global Entry
Posts: 1,836
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
I think we are saying the same thing here. So, we'll have to see if they have an interest going forward.
Almost. We both agree that it is possible. You are implying that it is incumbent upon airline partners to take the initiative and express interest in this going forward.

On the other hand, I am stating that since many of those partners' AND SPG's systems are capable of instant transfers (as evidenced by those partners and SPG all being capable of receiving AMEX MR transfers instantaneously), perhaps SPG should be the party taking the initiative to bridge this gap.

Subtle, but important difference.
Hyperacusis is offline  
Old Jan 3, 12, 5:36 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Posts: 281
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis View Post
Almost. We both agree that it is possible. You are implying that it is incumbent upon airline partners to take the initiative and express interest in this going forward.

On the other hand, I am stating that since many of those partners' AND SPG's systems are capable of instant transfers (as evidenced by those partners and SPG all being capable of receiving AMEX MR transfers instantaneously), perhaps SPG should be the party taking the initiative to bridge this gap.

Subtle, but important difference.
+1
daiseee is offline  
Old Jan 3, 12, 5:40 pm
  #13  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis View Post
Almost. We both agree that it is possible. You are implying that it is incumbent upon airline partners to take the initiative and express interest in this going forward.
I guess I wonder why they shouldn't be since they are the ones accepting the liability of affinity miles and SPG isn't. In other words, there is expense to setting this up for both parties. SPG would lose some liability on its books, but what's in it for the airlines?

On the other hand, I am stating that since many of those partners' AND SPG's systems are capable of instant transfers (as evidenced by those partners and SPG all being capable of receiving AMEX MR transfers instantaneously), perhaps SPG should be the party taking the initiative to bridge this gap.

Subtle, but important difference.
I think we might disagree on who should make the first move, but I also think some assumptions are being made that SPG hasn't.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Jan 3, 12 at 5:50 pm
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Jan 3, 12, 6:23 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: AUS / DXB
Programs: AA EXP (1 MM) | BA Silver | SPG Plat | Former EK Gold, CO Plat and AF Gold | Global Entry
Posts: 1,836
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
I guess I wonder why they shouldn't be since they are the ones accepting the liability of affinity miles and SPG isn't. In other words, there is expense to setting this up for both parties. SPG would lose some liability on its books, but what's in it for the airlines?
I am no expert on how SPG or the airlines may account for their miles/points liabilities, but I would imagine that when SPG points are transferred to an airline, SPG pays the airline a fee. SPG benefits by no longer having the liability of those miles on its books but 'loses' by having to pay cash to reduce that liability. The airline partner benefits by picking up some cash, but has to take on the additional liability.

The airline may be further incentivized in a scenario such as this: Bob Flyertalker has 10,000 SPG points and 90,000 AA miles. He located a Business award seat on a flight to Europe in two days and wants to snag it. AA wants him to have the seat because revenue management does not forecast that it will sell the seat. In this scenario, AA may be incentivized to have SPG transfers post expeditiously, so that Bob can burn his miles and take up a seat that would have gone empty.

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
I think we might disagree on who should make the first move, but I also think some assumptions are being made that SPG hasn't.
Touche.
Hyperacusis is offline  
Old Jul 6, 12, 9:57 am
  #15  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Posts: 1,735
To Delta

Does anyone know if SPG has expedited transfer to Delta? Or how long transfers to Delta take now? Thanks!
sggolf is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: