Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG 'Better by the Night' Promotion - pre-launch discussion and speculation thread

SPG 'Better by the Night' Promotion - pre-launch discussion and speculation thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
William, in light of some of the other posts here, I wanted to be clear that while I don't like that a whole region is excluded, I will not redirect my business during Q1 (during which I probably have about five weeks of stays already booked). I like the properties where I'm staying; and I still get points, upgrades (good success percentages at the properties where I will be staying), bonus points for PLT and bonus points for Starwood AMEX usage (although I will likely try to use MC for obvious reasons). I understand that the MC bonus is only for AP; but I still find excluding an entire region from a quarterly promotion to be disappointing.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by uxb
I have an APAC stay coming up in a few weeks also, but you dun see me whining about APAC not participating. I just simply won't change my res from C+P to rev.
there is a world of a difference between having one stay when compared to all your stays in a particular region....
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
William, in light of some of the other posts here, I wanted to be clear that while I don't like that a whole region is excluded, I will not redirect my business during Q1 (during which I probably have about five weeks of stays already booked). I like the properties where I'm staying; and I still get points, upgrades (good success percentages at the properties where I will be staying), bonus points for PLT and bonus points for Starwood AMEX usage (although I will likely try to use MC for obvious reasons). I understand that the MC bonus is only for AP; but I still find excluding an entire region from a quarterly promotion to be disappointing.
well said....i'll probably end up with anywhere between 15-20 nights in spg hotels by mid march....i'm disappointed that the apac promo will only be restricted to 2 free nights....i can't seem to remember the last time where there was a earning restriction for a quarterly spg promo....

having said that, my stay pattern will not change....just like dr. hfh, i like the properties i will be staying at & will continue to do so....
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
Am i the only one getting a dead link?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:45 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Keyser
there is a world of a difference between having one stay when compared to all your stays in a particular region....
Out of context. Whilst I concede your point, my argument was that the competitors aren't offering anything better for Q1. In fact, Hilton is offering a poor man's reverse of SPG's FRN promo.

Here's a link to HH's sloppy thirds:

http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...plcid=74418114

Originally Posted by boston aa flyer
No, see the previous page. Link won't go live until after the new year.

Last edited by uxb; Dec 28, 2011 at 7:06 am Reason: added a link...
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
I have no issue with promo's that are better for some than others as over a 12 month period usually they balance out but I have to add myself to the list that thinks an entire region excluding itself is dreadful.

I think it shows up Starwoods worst feature and that ius the nature in which the hotels and even it appears regions are seperate from eachother and Starwood really has very limited control over them. I have experienced this with issues during stays, at the end of the day Starwood has to wait for the hotel to make a decision and can actually do very little on its own or to force the hotel to speed up or do anything. It appears now an entire region can just choose to exclude itself from a promo which seems to make Starwood seem much less of a "Global" hotel group and more hotels who happen to be grouped under one banner which from loyalty program perspective is not a good thing in my mind!

I will admit this one thing will not change my choice of where to stay but I think it is a dangerous direction to be going in and maybe sets up the possibility for promo's to become more disjointed and therefore more complicated and thus more frustrating for members for SPG. It almost seems with the resort fee's, other extra charges some hotels make, promo's that dont include not just the odd hotel but regions as well the best word I can think to describe its is cheap, its nearly as bad as booking on a LCC airline you have to check all the small print these days!

What is the other Asia promotion that is being refered to as currently running, it is not the one where you have to use Mastercard is it because if there reasoning for not going with a global SPG promotion is we already have one but you ahve to pay on Mastercard then my opinion of Starwood this quarter just got much worse!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toddml
What is the other Asia promotion that is being refered to as currently running, it is not the one where you have to use Mastercard is it because if there reasoning for not going with a global SPG promotion is we already have one but you ahve to pay on Mastercard then my opinion of Starwood this quarter just got much worse!
that's the one....
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uxb
Out of context. Whilst I concede your point, my argument was that the competitors aren't offering anything better for Q1.
i think the hilton q1 promo is pretty ok....

Originally Posted by uxb
In fact, Hilton is offering a poor man's reverse of SPG's FRN promo.
no its not....that is a side promo....here is the hilton q1 promo:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...re-nights.html
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:15 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by boston aa flyer
Yes.

Because you're the only one still trying when we've been told (on this very page, even) that it won't be live again until 1/9.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:15 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
i think the hilton q1 promo is pretty ok....

no its not....that is a side promo....here is the hilton q1 promo:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...re-nights.html
Well, then I stand corrected. I don't think I will change my selection based on your link though. Same reasons you and Dr. HFH have stated.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Yes.

Because you're the only one still trying when we've been told (on this very page, even) that it won't be live again until 1/9.
Not nice.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
I am still happy with this promo. With my weekly 4-5 night stays at 'relatively' high revenue hotels in the US.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
that's the one....
So SPG have an Amex card but if you want a promo pay with Mastercard!

If it has been given as an excuse we are running this promo so will not run with the group promo I think it is a very poor choice of excuse. If it is acyually the reason they have nto gone with it then I think it is a terrible decision and speaks volumes to how little Starwood actually considers its customers if it is now willing to team up with a CC provider and limit a mainstream promo to it!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by gdemander
I am still happy with this promo. With my weekly 4-5 night stays at 'relatively' high revenue hotels in the US.
I am curious if the promo had excluded all US hotels would you be as happy?

The promo's over the years have sometimes worked for me and others not I just do not like the idea of an entire region excluding itself!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
The link seems down. I can't find it anywhere on the SPG site otherwise?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.