Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG 'Better by the Night' Promotion - pre-launch discussion and speculation thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG 'Better by the Night' Promotion - pre-launch discussion and speculation thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2011, 9:52 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Did you miss the fact that sfozrhfco posted that way back in Post #5?
I saw that but intentionally posted it here so there would be a snapshot of all the related pages as of this date. And with them in almost consecutive posts.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
Therefore all Asian properties are particpating per the T&Cs.
Not necessarily. According to the T&C, there are "more than 750 participating properties only". Assuming they'll try to get close with that number, and since there are 144 non-participating properties, that only accounts for approximately 900 properties. That would tend to lend credence to Asia/Pacific being excluded. Hopefully when William returns from his well-deserved holiday, we can get clarification and confirmation one way or the other.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:04 am
In memoriam

Not necessarily. According to the T&C, there are "more than 750 participating properties only". Assuming they'll try to get close with that number, and since there are 144 non-participating properties, that only accounts for approximately 900 properties. That would tend to lend credence to Asia/Pacific being excluded. Hopefully when William returns from his well-deserved holiday, we can get clarification and confirmation one way or the other.
I posted previously that there is a disconnect. However in the past the T&C were always the defining terms. SPG may revise the T&C but as they stand today the literal interpretation includes all Asian hotels except those are "non-SPG-participating hotels". If one coded the promo going strictly by the T&C all SPG participating properties in Asia would be included.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:09 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If one coded the promo going strictly by the T&C all SPG participating properties in Asia would be included.
Then how do you account for all the missing properties as stated in the T&C? I suspect that total will just happen to be the number of properties in Asia/Pacific.

(Actually the T&C states both 750 and 725 as the approximate number of participating properties.)
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
Only one hotel in Canada?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by peroorim
All the others are in.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:26 am
In memoriam

Then how do you account for all the missing properties as stated in the T&C? I suspect that total will just happen to be the number of properties in Asia/Pacific.

(Actually the T&C states both 750 and 725 as the approximate number of participating properties.)
It states "more than 750 participating properties" and "more than 725 participating properties". The word "approximate" does not appear in the T&C.

There is press release on Nov. 14, 2011 Starwood Hotels Hits 200th Hotel Milestone in Asia Pacific

There is a disconnect. And as you posted
... Hopefully when William returns from his well-deserved holiday, we can get clarification and confirmation one way or the other.
This is all I have to say on the subject until there is clarification from SPG.

Back to our regular scheduled programming....
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: SPG>P & STARWOOD Privilege
Originally Posted by Flews
LMFAO!

Some of these posts are too funny, and so predictable. I'm actually starting to get my jollies from all the whining and complaining and threatening every time *wood comes out with another promo!

Merry Christmas everyone.

Cheers,
Flews....Cheers back to you as usual
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:57 am

It states "more than 750 participating properties" and "more than 725 participating properties". The word "approximate" does not appear in the T&C.
Any reasonable interpretation would assume that the number they give are close to the right numbers. Otherwise, why not say "more than 3"? If Asia were included, they would say "more than 950" to make it stronger.

There is press release on Nov. 14, 2011 Starwood Hotels Hits 200th Hotel Milestone in Asia Pacific
This certainly reinforces the position that Asia/Pacific is excluded, as that quite handily accounts for the missing properties.

There is a disconnect.
At this point, you may be the only one who believes that.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Dec 25, 2011 at 11:03 am
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
As I am continuing with 4-5 night stays at high revenue locations, I am happy. If there was a quadruple option, obviously better. But I am very happy with this promo. Merry Christmas to me. Woot.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:26 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
My logic

If:
1. There are 900 Starwood properties, and
2. You're someone who is only going to be happy if all 900 properties agree to the terms of Starwood's promo,

Then:
3. That means the individual owners of 900 properties have to agree that they're not going to be giving too much away.
4. To get that kind of buy-in, that's going to be a pretty lame promo.

Therefore:
5. I'm happy with Starwood's promos, however and whenever they come.

Merry Christmas to all.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
There is a disconnect.
doesn't seem to be a disconnect....it seems pretty clear to me....i would be happy to be proven wrong though but i doubt that would be the case here....
Old Dec 26, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...HENT_PROMOTION

double points for 2 night stays
triple points for 3 or more nights
at participating properties

no bonus for one night stays.
Hmmm I will be staying on their property in kl 6-8 jan
Old Dec 26, 2011, 4:21 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Look on the bright side - you could be living in Adelaide and almost 6000 miles from the nearest participating property
I had a great stay at an "SPG" property once... it was called the Hilton Adelaide.

Originally Posted by fred8ab
Again Germany is out of the promo. I think they don't like us
Originally Posted by geilux
Germany CHOSE not to participate

Any idea why ?

Do they all belong to the same owner who has a different marketing strategy, is it a legal aspect ?
The real reason why German properties are non-participating: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My0HQ0QkGLQ

Originally Posted by peroorim
It's not a big loss. I mean... who travels to Saskatoon? ^

I wish that SPG had an FT giveaway like the extra Platinum point we had last year. *sigh*

Last edited by uxb; Dec 26, 2011 at 7:13 am
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: CO Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
[QUOTE=

Still should be a nice earner though, given a travel heavy Q1. And glad to see a much smaller non-participating list this time around. ^[/QUOTE]

+1 agree! thanks *wood!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.