Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"No Offense But There Are So Many Platinums"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:03 am

Regarding new top tier level, I do not see a need for bceause I clearly see differences between platinums staying only once at a specific hotel and long time stayers (50+ nights/year). So it is up to the hotel to go beyond the T&C.
Moreover I do not have the impression that the number increased over the years.

Upgrades really depend on the front desk and what they want to do as well as number of platinums and number of available suites. Some hotels have 15% platinum guest during a working week checking in on monday. So not everybody can get a suite. Some hotels tried to make internal list which would give you an upgrade every second week but this worked not out with the T&C.

But in resorts and during the weekend I always got a suite and mostly not the jr. suite but far bigger ones. Thus vouchers would not help me as I appreciate a suite much more during the weekend than during the week. And on weekends I get it more than 4 times a year anyway.

I just would ask SPG to not make promos like 1 stay counts as 2. This is really diluting the status.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood Plt, Hilton Gold (got it free) AC Elite, Fairmont Plt, Priority Club Plt
My nights in 2011 were 176 and stays were 49. I have been very pleased with my benefits and upgrades. Like many I enjoy the upgrades more when traveling with family and generally have been given these without asking.

When I want a sure thing I book it in advance and if on vacation use extra points to get it. For example I am booked for 10 nights in Aruba. A suite would be nice but a ocean front is a must for mrs dmgt so used 1000 points a night extra to book the ocean front and will wait and see what happens.

I travel to whistler on business. Have chatted with the team there re upgrades. They have 2 letters that go out in advance. They carefully watch occupancy and want to pre manage expectations. Where occupancy levels allow they upgrade in advance they do so and send out the letter. When occupancy is high and lots of platinums are booked they let you know in advance. As a practice they only upgrade to select standard suites and do not upgrade to their fancy suites. This is there choice and in-keeping with the program. I have been pleased with their approach and service. My dogs typically travel with me on business and this property looks after them well.

While a few confirmed upgrades might be nice. I like spg's approach and would keep it as is rather than have confirmed only.

On the topic of a higher level. I would leave it as is. Most years I am well over 100 nights. But that might change sometime. I feel the level is good as is and will serve me better in my lighter travel years when left alone.

I agree the front desk is important. Most properties I stay at it is the night time front desk that assign rooms and not who is working when you check in. While each hotel gets a guide from spg the decide. Spend at their property on room rate and incidentals are all tracked. For example one hotel recently told me my 2011 spend was over $27,000 with my average stay being 3 nights and in addition to the room I average $60 per night on other charges. This all factors into upgrades. Also how you treat the staff makes a major difference. One might say it shouldn't. But I have been told by staff i am an easy guest so they like to upgrade me as a thank you. I know that it is meant to be best available at check in. While this may be reality rooms are pre assigned based in a number of factors that include spend your relationship with staff and a given property being considerations.

I say leave it as is and if a suite on a given stay is a must then book it. I would say with out booking a suite I get over 90% suites with many being in prime European properties that have gone well beyond select standard suites also get many suites in North America.

I never ask for upgrades now. Just enjoy what I get. When I check in don't really want to be second guessing if I am being treated ok. Etc. Don't have the time and energy for such games

Good program. Thanks spg for my platinum benefits. That become available after 25 stays and 50nights even though I am well above that
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:30 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
Just checked into a hotel and asked about an upgrade. The desk agent responded with, "No offense but there are so many platinums we can't upgrade like we used to."

Sorry to beat a dead horse with a stick, but this is telling. 25 stays/50 nights is a very low threshold for the top-level of a hotel program. Either there needs to be a higher level or something has to give.

Gold means nothing with the AMEX giveaway and SPG's eagerness to bestow it upon anyone who has ever stayed at a property one or two nights. Platinum used to be great, but I am constantly finding that the benefits, which hotels used to honor without question, have to be fought for nowadays.

Please, please SPG don't run this like Delta's Skymiles: where everyone is "special" everyone has "status" and you need to create newer tiers to make everyone feel "important."

If you spend 100 nights in a hotel like I do, you'd view this a bit differently but the reality is letting award stays count toward status and the 2 nights toward status from AMEX are going to destroy SPG. Soon, there will be rollover nights!

Truth is, if you want status, pay the price with money and time. Not everyone has to be important.

/Rant
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:35 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
No offense but there are so many platinums

I am really getting tired of hearing 'road warriers' who have their travel paid (and then benefit from free vacations for entire family) moaning about too many platinums. I just requalified after 12 years paying for leisure travel out of my own pocket, and paying a lot, staying at W Maldives bills approx £10k for 10 days, I think that perhaps this brings more revenue than the plats who qualify with stays at Four Points, Sheratons USA paying perhaps $100 per night. No I don't object to these people getting platinum as must be hell having to stay all those nights in not so exciting hotels, but I do object to them going on about my measly 50 nights staying in Luxury Collection Thailand, St REgis Bali whereby my revenue probably contributes more than those on business (unless holding conference etc) so at the end of the day there are different types of 'platinum members and to each their own, so lay off my low threshold of 50 nights (usually have done 60 but this year only 50) and I feel I earned them. Also I have never had a problem having a suite/junior suite upgrade, having said that I rarely travel in US and mainly in India/Far East.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Medved
You cannot assume words of a front desk agent as universal truth. Most likely he used them as a lame excuse to get rid of you True, there are some hotels where a see lots of plat. card envelopes sitting and waiting for guests to come. These are urban business travel hotels. I can live w/o getting a suite there -- club rooms are OK. But I'd like my suite upgrades when I travel with family and if I bump into 1 or 2 plats at places like Caymans, Bahamas or Venice that will be it. True, I see there quite a few golds -- but they are no competition for my suites.
Can't resist responding to this comment, as I a very familiar with these properties.

At my last Bahamas stay (Sheraton Nassau Beach), the cocktail party I attended for Plats had at least 40 people at it, and I arrived late and left early.

In Cayman, the Westin only has one suite, and I have never, ever heard of anybody getting upgraded to it.

I do, however, agree you should take the front desk person's comment with a grain of salt.

Cheers,
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
I appreciate everyone's feedback. I think even slight changes like AMEX SPG giving 2 stays toward elite status have a profound affect on the number of elites. Also, having promo nights count toward status is a huge devaluation. A friend of mine has only the SPG AMEX card. He has never really had SPG status except for Gold one year because of spend. He uses points as needed for various trips, now Platinum is within reach for him and he never pays for a room (or if he does, it's cash and points).

Also, I am self-employed and my travel is 50/50 leisure/work. My most recent stays: W London, Le Meridien Cancun, Westin Paris, and now Le Meridien Delhi are all vacations: I pay out of pocket. Even if a company were paying for my hotel stays, I have still earned that travel.

I generally love SPG and most properties. I think 50 nights is a low-threshold for a top tier in a program like SPG. SPG Platinum used to be something (if you can remember back to 2005, etc) and now it seems diluted. I know one clerk saying something isn't a complete indicator, just seems that the upgrades never come like they used to, that if I do get one, I have to fight for it or the definition of an "upgrade" is loosely interpreted (e.g. a king bed). I usually pay a premium and go out of my way to stay at an SPG property--there's always a cheaper/nice hotel somewhere--so all I expect in return is the reasonable chance that the perks are actually given out.

Over 70k in yearly SPG spend this year at SPG properties.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
A friend of mine has only the SPG AMEX card. He has never really had SPG status except for Gold one year because of spend.
I've had the SPG Amex for 10 years. I am unaware of any "spend related" promos which provided Elite status in the SPG program. What am I missing??
He uses points as needed for various trips, now Platinum is within reach for him and he never pays for a room (or if he does, it's cash and points).
As a 100% leisure traveller, I can assure you that "payment" with POINTS is - nonetheless - PAYMENT. The resulting reduction in liability is meaningful for SPG is my best guess too.
Even if a company were paying for my hotel stays, I have still earned that travel.
Why is there any difference in how one EARNS travel if someone else pays for it?
As many people have said over many years, this is a frequent STAYER program not a frequent PAYER program.
SPG Platinum used to be something (if you can remember back to 2005, etc) and now it seems diluted.
I've been top tier since WAY before then, and don't recollect the dilution that you see.
That's admirable. I would hope that you get special perks at certain hotels where you are a very frequent guest.

Dave
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
I appreciate everyone's feedback. I think even slight changes like AMEX SPG giving 2 stays toward elite status have a profound affect on the number of elites. Also, having promo nights count toward status is a huge devaluation. A friend of mine has only the SPG AMEX card. He has never really had SPG status except for Gold one year because of spend. He uses points as needed for various trips, now Platinum is within reach for him and he never pays for a room (or if he does, it's cash and points).

Also, I am self-employed and my travel is 50/50 leisure/work. My most recent stays: W London, Le Meridien Cancun, Westin Paris, and now Le Meridien Delhi are all vacations: I pay out of pocket. Even if a company were paying for my hotel stays, I have still earned that travel.

I generally love SPG and most properties. I think 50 nights is a low-threshold for a top tier in a program like SPG. SPG Platinum used to be something (if you can remember back to 2005, etc) and now it seems diluted. I know one clerk saying something isn't a complete indicator, just seems that the upgrades never come like they used to, that if I do get one, I have to fight for it or the definition of an "upgrade" is loosely interpreted (e.g. a king bed). I usually pay a premium and go out of my way to stay at an SPG property--there's always a cheaper/nice hotel somewhere--so all I expect in return is the reasonable chance that the perks are actually given out.

perhaps starwood should have an internal policy regarding plat upgrades. If a hotel's occupancy is 65% or less and does not upgrade a plat if upgrades are available, you get 1,000 points or something along those lines. This would probably reduce any hassle and keep plats from having to fight for upgrades. If a hotel is 70% or higher and an upgraded room is available and you do not get it, you get 2,000 points. This way it penalizes the hotel and forces a hotel to be mindful of upgrading plat guests. This is just an example.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by bseller
I've had the SPG Amex for 10 years. I am unaware of any "spend related" promos which provided Elite status in the SPG program. What am I missing??
The UK card gives you SPG Gold status when you spend £15k on the card in each year.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAPC
The UK card gives you SPG Gold status when you spend £15k on the card in each year.
Thank you for that. I didn't know!

Dave
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by geilux

It could be good to have a certain number of confirmed suites (like Hyatt does)
BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR ! ! ! !

The old Sheraton SCI program had precisely what you outline above and folks weren't happy then, either. When the SPG program announced the new plan, the vast consensus was that unlimited upgrades was a far better incentive.

Just sayin
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by sbtinme
BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR ! ! ! !

The old Sheraton SCI program had precisely what you outline above and folks weren't happy then, either. When the SPG program announced the new plan, the vast consensus was that unlimited upgrades was a far better incentive.

Just sayin
I'd take 4 confirm-able suite upgrades for my personal for pleasure vacations rather than infrequent suite upgrades at unpredictable times when I'm traveling by myself on business.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But better still was the Westin Program which provided that Gold Members would receive the best room available in the hotel at the time of checkin. Specialty Suites were NOT excluded.

Dave
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:03 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by fdemoulin
I am really getting tired of hearing 'road warriers' who have their travel paid (and then benefit from free vacations for entire family) moaning about too many platinums. I just requalified after 12 years paying for leisure travel out of my own pocket, and paying a lot, staying at W Maldives bills approx £10k for 10 days, I think that perhaps this brings more revenue than the plats who qualify with stays at Four Points, Sheratons USA paying perhaps $100 per night.

Also I have never had a problem having a suite/junior suite upgrade, having said that I rarely travel in US and mainly in India/Far East.
I think the original poster complains on too many platinums on the hotel he/she visits. I think road warrior plats and luxury travel plats don't really compete with each other. Business hotels and non-luxury starwood hotels need road warriors while resorts need big spenders.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Well, SPG will not be able to satisfy everybody.

I can only speak for my own needs:

I have on average 30 business stays/year and am happy with a club floor room. On the other hand, for my 5 private stays/year with spouse and daughter I really enjoy a nice suite upgrade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.