Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Aloft Bangkok - Sukhumvit 11, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, CX DM, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2
None of the Bangkok properties is "several" times more expensive other than the St Regis. Plaza Athenee, LM, ROS, and Westin are all in the 3000 to 3500 THB range if you book them at the right time. SGS can be had for less than 4K THB.
Emphasis on "at the right time" and "can be had." Well, I stayed at aloft, Athenee and Westin in the same week and both the latter cost about 2x as much as Aloft.

Furthermore, I understand that after Aloft's opening promo expires, their regular rate will probably increase by only THB500
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, CX DM, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by typical
Why?

I like them both but as I said above, in a direct comparison I think the 4P has a lot going for it even without Plat (though I take the point about free internet made upthread). They were both 2500 when I booked.
I just prefer the look and feel of Aloft's rooms since it's like a mini-W. the breakfast at 4P is nothing fantastic.

Of course, to each his own.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:36 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
The Aloft seems to be doing a good job of delivering exactly what they are purporting to deliver. I think it would be more interesting to hear how this Aloft compares to othe Aloft and the Plat treatment at other Aloft than comparing it to the SGS or FP. People say that as a Plat there is no reason to stay here. Is there something that the Aloft PHL offers Plats that the Aloft BKK does not? Seems like anyone that is going in with appropriate expectations wil be plenty happy with this property.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yosithezet
The aLoft seems to be doing a good job of delivering exactly what they are purporting to deliver. I think it would be more interesting to hear how this aLoft compares to othe aLofts and the Plat treatment at other aLofts than comparing it to the SGS or FP. People say that as a Plat there is no reason to stay here. Is there something that the aLoft PHL offers Plats that the aLoft BKK does not? Seems like anyone that is going in with appropriate expectations wil be plenty happy with this property.
I was very happy with the aloft and got exactly what I expected. The breakfast charges reported here can be significantly reduced by booking rates which include breakfast (which are on the website of spg)- in this way breakfast is reduced to 250 thb p.p. per day.

It is obvious as a new hotel they are learning as they go- however in a very good way. The rooms are also much nicer than I expected, and certainly nicer than the aloft properties I have been to in the USA.

I agree that comparing to the SGS is a bit strange- if I posted here on the benefits received at Four Seasons with Virtouso or what our colleagues with RA receive at the IC it would be about the same.

The hotel is excellent value 2111 THB for two people without breakfast or 2611 THB with breakfast including free internet, free access to BED and Qbar (if you want)- and I would say it is one of the better deals in Bangkok.

I am not a big fan of the Four Points- however to each their own (just like some like the Westin and I prefer the SGS for example in that rate category).
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ginkoka
I just prefer the look and feel of Aloft's rooms since it's like a mini-W. the breakfast at 4P is nothing fantastic.
Fair enough - I do also prefer the look and feel of the Aloft rooms, but find the 4P rooms rather more easy to actually stay in.

Since we were in the 4P for NYE, we slept through breakfast - but it was good to know it was there (we did make, ahem, extensive use of the happy hour ).

The fact I find the lobby of the Aloft exhausting probably suggests I'm getting too old for it
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
We moved after 1 night into PA .
The ABF was poor, only toast ( no other bread ), no ham or salami and 1 cheese ( which was so dry, one could not eat anymore ).
Even the prebooked option for ABF is 250++ per person so also almost 300 THB, which you spend much better @ SUBWAY or one of the restaurants noutside.
Not being a *wood platinum I also could fnd cheaper options in the same quality, so we only choose *wood for the extra perks we receive for our platinum membership. And these are zero in ALOFT BKK
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Not sure how much diff is Aloft USA to BKK, but I rather take 4points any day.
Perhaps you like the blue back lighting
I prefer something along the lines of home comfort, and 4 points provides just that and abit more.
Staying in one of the terrace suites now, and I'm quite impressed with the service provided here.

The breakfast is by far one of the better ones, at least better than any of the US SPG hotels.

For the slight premium that 4 points commands, I would go with it in an eye blink.

Originally Posted by ginkoka

Of course, to each his own.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
i'm considering to cancel my booking here after reading this thread.

it sounds suck for plat members

should i?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:01 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident

should i?
Where did you get that impression? The Plat member gets exactly what they paid for and what all other guests get and they get 250 extra bonus points. It isn't that it is bad for Plats it just isn't anything special for Plats.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:57 am

I really liked the feel of the bathroom and shower in aloft. The room was also nice, while on the small side, it was no problem for one person. Free internet, nice pool, also small but deserted when I was there. Did not eat there as I breakfast was not included, but that is not a problem for me in Bangkok.

The coffeemaker did not work out for me, but that is probably down to an incompetent user Cold coffee was never my favorite.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:44 am
cxn

The one thing I didnt realize/know was Plats arent upgraded at aLoft hotels. I see reason to stay at one with other options. I have a friend staying here soon so I will get his reaction as he is a fan of the FPBKK and wants to compare.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:39 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
i checked in here today to give it a try.... slowest checkin at spg property in thailand ever and i was the only one checkin in at that time... rooms are not that bad, after what i have read here i was expecting less... the staff is ok.... the pool is great and better than at the 4points... no plat benefits... the voucher for bed supperclub is not really worth anything... you get in in so many hotels around suk11 and only valid if there is no special event ( not many days ).

I would come back for the pool and if i want to go out.... breakfast at the 4points or other benefits at higher priced spg properties are worth the price difference....

staying in a room on the 17th floor and it is quite noisy... we will checkout tomorrow i think
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm in town anyway, so popped over for a night. PLTs get 250 points amenity, at least that is what I was told on checkin. In addition to glennaa11's comments, I add that the spring mechanism on my door did not close it all the way, -- ever. It closed just short of latching every time. I had to pull it shut so that it latched (and locked). Guests will want to be alert to this for obvious reasons.
I noticed that also. While walking to my room I noticed at least 2 rooms on my floor that did not have their doors closed all the way.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:36 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Per SPG's terms, upgrading benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties.

Subject to availability at check-in for the length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a pre-paid third-party channel. Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and may not include upgraded Towers level accommodations unless Towers level accommodations are booked originally. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. This benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties.
Our Best Rooms. Expect automatic upgrades at check-in, including Standard Suites.
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident

should i?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
ok i'll give it a try

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.